Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doing something constructive with my summer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been selected as a replacement leader to go on a thing called the Ulster Project which runs across many cities and towns in Northern Ireland.

It's basically a cross-community project where twelve teens: 13-14 yr olds (6 protestant (3 girls, 3 boys) & 6 catholics (3 girls, 3 boys)) go to the USA and each stay with host families who have a teen of similar age and gender. The whole group (including the Americans) meet up for activities and things during the month. It's basically alot of fun and a good opportunity to make friends from different backgrounds - I went on it when I was 14 to Cincinnati and had one of the best months of my life. This time I'll be going to Nashville, Tennessee. It's alot of responsibility but despite what some people might think, I'm quite level-headed and responsible when I need to be.

The group of teens have already been meeting up for a few months to prepare for a play they put on at end of June to raise funds. One of the leaders had to pull out so they were searching for a replacement. Somehow they got hold of my number (I suspect through my mother) and I was offered the chance to be a leader. I get all my flights and insurance etc paid for as a leader.

I'm really excited, and I'm happy to be doing something worthwhile with my summer instead of bumming around getting wasted. Just thought I'd share it with you all. Unfortunately it means I won't be able to go the Edinburgh meet though, which is scheduled for 22nd July I think.

Comments

• Options
    That sounds class ba.

I'm doing something similar, I'm working in the Gaeltacht area for a bit in the summer.
  • Options
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Did I read rightly that it's something you took part in when you were younger, and now you're going as a leader? If so, that's pretty damn cool... at least a lot cooler than whatever I spend my summer doing :p
  • Options
    Turlough wrote:
    That sounds class ba.

I'm doing something similar, I'm working in the Gaeltacht area for a bit in the summer.

Nice one man. It's all part of my big plan to become a real person :p.

I'll have another leader with me (a catholic girl my age) and American counterparts, so it should be sweet. Won't just be me trying to look after 12 mad youngsters!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Did I read rightly that it's something you took part in when you were younger, and now you're going as a leader? If so, that's pretty damn cool... at least a lot cooler than whatever I spend my summer doing :p

Yea, I took apart in it as a youngster. It was amazing. They put on so many activities for you, and then you have free days as well to do whatever you want with your host families. Never a dull moment.

Apparently the Americans involved love it when teens come back as leaders, so hopefully I'll be a popular leader with the organisers. :)
  • Options
    That sounds great. I'm going half constructive and half commercial this summer, but nothing as fantastic sounding as that.