Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ear / Throat [infection?]

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've developed a severly sore throat and last night my right ear became dull and now it is difficult to hear properly.

Can't get a doctors appointment until 1st of june and im not willing to wait as i am in real pain due to my throat. Breathing drinking eating anything really hurts. One of the sensations i get is akin to that of when you puke, the burning sensation. It makes me feel sick and of course when i try to sip water that just hurts even more.

The pharmacy assistant gave me tyrozets and some sinus spray thing explaining that it sounded like that was the problem but i cant see how a sinus problem could cause so much pain with my throat.

One of my relatives whom i spoke with last night told me they had similar symptoms and that with them it turned out to be an ear and throat infection.

Also today my face became red and blotchy. Not sure what that means.

Until i can see the doctor to get antibiotics what else can i do because i'm currently in agony.

:(

Comments

• Options
    If its really nasty either phone your GP and say you have to have an appointment - they should fit you in with one GP with 24 hours notice.

Or, wander down to A&E and get seen there, but if you're going there I'd recommend you go at about 9am on a week day, that's when they are least busy.
  • Options
    There should be a way of getting emergency appointments with your GP, usually you have to ring on the day for them, at 0830 or something.

Your ear pain is probably related to your sinuses.
  • Options
    tried calling nhs24 for some advice as my throat has been getting feeling worse. Started getting the burning sensation feeling again more often which was quite uncomfortable. Anyway after waiting 10 minutes couldnt get through so hung up.

What could cause a burning sensation in the throat, either cold related or not ?

RE the advice above. At the moment i cannot call at 8am, i am however considering not turning upto work and calling in sick. Cant call in sick until after 8 as no one is there, the time im supposed to start. And i'm in a rush to get something to take away the pain because it really is that bad.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    babes, if it is that bad, just stay on hold, and let them sort it out. i would recommend gargling with some soluble paracetamol, as this gets right to the affected area, however, obviously dont take it if you have already some. get an early night and drink plenty of fluids...hope youre better soon hun
  • Options
    Your GP should see you the same day if you are in pain sufficient to stop you swallowing food.

Have some ibuprofen to take the swelling down. And phone your GP first thing.
  • Options
    Yeah it sounds like it merits an emergancy appointment. Try an sip something thats a lil bit warm, might soothe it
  • Options
    Doesn't honey help a sore throat? Or am I thinking of something else?
  • Options
    1st of june? that's a bit daft.

my doctors have a system where you can only ring the morning that you want the appointment. a bit daft if you need to make an appointment in say 2 weeks time but hey ho.

hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Options
    You have the right to an appointment within 48 hours.
  • Options
    I got an emergancy appointment this morning. Turns out it's a viral infection that's causing all the pain and swelling in my throat and ears. The cough and phlegm is also due to the infection. Been given Penicillen and told to take ibuprofen and to take a couple of days off work to rest and allow my body time to heal better.

Anyone got any links on viral infection's ?
  • Options
    Thanks for those Kentish. Good to read up on what exactly it is i've got and what causes it etc.

Now another couple of questions. Other than water is there anything else that i could drink? Obviously im not drinking soft drink's but i was thinking maybe something like Lucozade or just diluting stuff maybe ?

the water in our tap is hideous i prefer not to drink it.

Also. On top of the penicillen and ibuprofen could i continue taking strepsil's ? I've stopped using the tyrozet's as my throat began to start feeling worse after having one. I thought maybe i'd have better luck with the strepsil's assuming i could keep taking them.
  • Options
    Strepsils won't do any harm. Lucozade is fine but very sugary so don't drink too much at a time because it may well make you feel lousy later when your blood sugars come crashing back down again.

Are the brufen and penicillin not helping?
  • Options
    They are helping Kentish but inbetween the periods of taking the meds my throat is still sore causing me pain and i was just hoping that a strepsil might aleviat some of that pain.

The doctor told me to take a couple of days off work which ive done, she mentioned that by saturday although i might not be feeling 100% i could go back to work but i'm thinking i'll just take it off because the more rest i get the better and quicker i'll recover. Work wont be happy, my job will probably be on the line but stuff them, my health comes first.

Obviously i have only been taking the meds for a short time but i havent noticed any change with my dull ear's, i have noticed a small ease up of the pain in my throat but not ear's. Although not overly worried it is making me feel cautious.

The doc also mentioned if it wasnt cleared up after about tuesday, which means i would have had this for a week i should go right back as it could mean a secondary infection, which didnt sound too good. The way i'm feeling i can't see myself feeling much better by then, will just have to see.
  • Options
    I've always found that gargling warm salt water helps with s ome pain from throat pains. Not for a great amount of time, but still :)

I dont have anything to add really, just throat roblems are horrible and I hope you get better quickly.
  • Options
    The fact that the antibiotics haven't made a dramatic difference does suggest that it was a viral infection. Time is the only healer for such things, but she's right that if it isn't better by Tuesday you should go back.

As for work, it depends what you feel like in the morning. You're not infectious but if you are not feeling well, you won't be doing a good job so just take it easy. No drinking either.