Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Which doctor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment I'm registered with the Doctor's surgery on the campus at uni (York). When I go home for 3 months in the summer is it worth re-registering at home? When I come back to uni in October I would then register at the uni surgery again.

Or is it just a load of hassle?

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    At christmas I needed antibiotics and my doctors at home treated me as an emergency patient (I think) I had to fill in some forms or something, but that was only a 3 week holiday.
  • Options
    If you need to see a doctor when you're back at home, then just see one as an emergency patient thingy. I've dropped into a clinic when I've been away from home and just had to complete a form stating that I was visiting the area.
  • Options
    At the moment I'm registered with the Doctor's surgery on the campus at uni (York). When I go home for 3 months in the summer is it worth re-registering at home? When I come back to uni in October I would then register at the uni surgery again.

Or is it just a load of hassle?

It is a bit of unnecessary hassle, but if you'd feel more comfortable doing that then it's not that much hassle and you may as well do it if it'd sety your mind at ease.

As has been said, you can be treated fairly easily at home while still being officially registered with your Uni surgery. I suppose it depends how great you think the chances are that you'll need to see a doctor during those three months. If it's unlikely then I'd just say don't bother, as if something crops up it's not as if you'll be without the facility of a GP or medical assistance :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i was always classed as an emergency patient when i went back...no trouble, but the receptionst always got a bit snotty with me, but no more than normal :p i just had to fill out a small form each time i went, and sign it. but that was because my docs couldnt be bothered with the hassle of re-registering me when they knew i was going back.
  • Options
    Witch doctor? :chin:

It takes a wee while to transfer notes across the country between GP surgeries. I'd just cross that bridge if you came to it. You might not need a GP over the summer.
  • Options
    Witch doctor ... :D

True, I might not even get ill.
  • Options
    You can register as a temporary patient at home, that you your still registered at Uni.

It may be best to ring up the doctor at home, I know I had real problems getting seen for a non emergency thing over the summer. Needed to see a doctor but wasn't likely to kill me soon. See what the doctors at home say about how you'd be able to see them.
  • Options
    uh ei uh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang.

sorry, made me laugh.
  • Options
    You can register as Temporary patient when you return home, it's the same as if you were on holiday some where and needed a GP.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    uh ei uh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang.

sorry, made me laugh.
    :eek2: any particular reason for that sudden outburst?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    :eek2: any particular reason for that sudden outburst?

It's from the song - witch doctor.

KHSS - I probably wouldn't bother re-registering. If you get ill then go as an emergency patient.
  • Options
    yeah, if i need to go when im at home i just fill in a form so im a temporary patient.