Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shrinks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone been to one?

If so I wanna know did you cope OK when they needed to go on holiday? And what usually happens, do they organise another person to speak to or do they just expect people to cope without them?

Comments

• Options
    heya petal

i went to see a shrink last year after i got really depressed and my OCD got really bad.

i coped ok when he went away (but that's mainly because he was bog bloody useless, lol). i'm not sure about organising other psychs to speak to you, i think it would depend on how bad you were. that said, my boyf sees a clinical psychologist every two weeks - and they never arrange other people to speak to him when his psych is away.

are you on meds or anything or do you have regular contact with your gp?

love cavey
    xx
  • Options
    Think it depends who you're seeing and how bad you are, like cave girl said. I had a CPN coming round to see me after I had Sophie because I was at increased risk of postnatal depression apparently. She went on holiday during that six weeks and she did arrange cover, although there was actually nothing wrong with me at all.
  • Options
    I can't stop thinking of the Bill Murray movie "What About Bob" Ever time I see this thread :p

[/random, no help]

I guess that could always be an option ;)
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Think it depends who you're seeing and how bad you are, like cave girl said. I had a CPN coming round to see me after I had Sophie because I was at increased risk of postnatal depression apparently. She went on holiday during that six weeks and she did arrange cover, although there was actually nothing wrong with me at all.

Bugs you doesn't it? I have suffered with depression in the past and so they assumed i would get pnd after having James and kept going on about it but i was fine.
  • Options
    Anyone been to one?

If so I wanna know did you cope OK when they needed to go on holiday? And what usually happens, do they organise another person to speak to or do they just expect people to cope without them?
    I go to a psychotherapist "weekly" but my slot is on a monday so onto of missing sessions when she is on annual leave or off sick I miss the bank holidays too. Sometimes the bank holiday sessions get rearranged but there isn't enough time for everyone on a monday to get seen on another day.

There is no holiday cover where I go but then again I can't imagine cover would work too well especially as it took about a year for me to trust her in the first place.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Although this is slightly off topic, how do you go about asking your doctor to visit a shrink rather than a counsellor?

What if you know deep down you need more than counselling? (because you have had counselling before and it wasn't enough and you know you have big problems in the head of yours)
  • Options
    sorry if i seem stupid but could someone explain to me what a shrink is?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

Sounds like a counseller/psychotherapist
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    Slang for psychanalyst or something.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Although this is slightly off topic, how do you go about asking your doctor to visit a shrink rather than a counsellor?

What if you know deep down you need more than counselling? (because you have had counselling before and it wasn't enough and you know you have big problems in the head of yours)
    Well I see a pyschiatrist (who works at a hospital) and a psychotherapist (who is more similar to a counsellor). I have always thought that "shrink" meant pyschiatrist but I answered the question with respect to my weekly psychotherapy appointments as it seemed to be asking more about that type of relationship than the hospital pyschiatrist thing who I see less often.

I think the GP just see's what doesn't work and then refers you to progressively higher levels of help. At least that's what has happened with me. And even within the hospital setting they still refer you on if the first thiing doesn't work. Like I worked my way through a couple of more junior doctors but now they moved me to the consultant pyschiatrist to over see things. And now she is referring me to a day hospital as I'm no better.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I just checked on wikipedia and apparently it usually means pyschiatrist but can also mean psychologist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink
  • Options
    I've always thought shrink to mean any type of emotional/behavorial/therapist/councler/stuff.

Anything from marriage councler to psychitrist to general therapist...
  • Options
    I see someone, I have no idea what she is though, I always thought she was a councillor, but at my last session she said she wasn't so don't have a bloody clue who she is now.
  • Options
    A shrink is a psychiarist but i think because a lot of people dont understand the different between psychiatrist/psychotherapist/psychologist/counseller, the word 'shrink' can mean anything to do with therapy/mental health things.

A little off topic-Randomgirl-you mention you were referred to a psychiatrist who has now referred you to day hospital? What made her make that decision?
    It sounds like you've had the appropriate care and treament, which is great so im just interested as i never got that.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    A little off topic-Randomgirl-you mention you were referred to a psychiatrist who has now referred you to day hospital? What made her make that decision?
    It sounds like you've had the appropriate care and treament, which is great so im just interested as i never got that.
    Because I'm not fit to do anything. Because I self-harm and put razors in me. Because I am considered at risk of suicide. Because nothing so far has been of the slightest help to me. I've been self-harming for over seven years now and I first saw a GP about it about 3.5 years ago. I've been on Seroxat, Prozac, Amytripteline, Citalopram, Venalfaxine and Mirtazapine, none of which made the slightest bit of difference. I've had counselling as well as quite a long programme of weekly pyschotherapy. I've been seeing the psychiatrists for around 18 months (I mean the hospital ones) and nothing makes a difference, in fact they have on several occassions done more harm than good. But who knows, maybe the day hospital will help. Right now the whole idea is stressing me out though especially the housing aspect of it.

What happened to you?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Bugs you doesn't it? I have suffered with depression in the past and so they assumed i would get pnd after having James and kept going on about it but i was fine.

Well I suppose it's better to risk annoying someone than missing a case of PND. I was at increased risk because I have 6 kids apparently, pmsl, I suppose they think anyone with 6 kids would be depressed! :lol:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I think the GP just see's what doesn't work and then refers you to progressively higher levels of help. At least that's what has happened with me. And even within the hospital setting they still refer you on if the first thiing doesn't work.

Not always!

I was seen by the consultant psych for a couple of years, they tried me on a few different drugs, counselling, and CBT, and when not much made any kind of difference, they gave up, discharged me, and my records state: unresponsive to treatment.

i have since got myself together, but will be buggered if i can get doctors to take me seriously anymore about physical illness. they think anything wrong with me is all in my head :|
  • Options
    Read above.

They will refer you on if the first thing doesn't work.

Sounds like what they did for you.
  • Options
    I went to a psychiatrist with anxiety and got wrongly diagnosed with bipolar disorder after just an hour of speaking to me. I then got labelled a drug seeker because I asked for medication for anxiety NOT a mood-disorder. I went back and it became CLEAR I had no mental illness and this was noted although the rest of the shit is still on my report card making me look bad.

Be careful with Psychiatrists and if you're in doubt ALWAYS get a second opinion. Don't let them fuck your medical records like they have mine!
  • Options
    RG-I went to my gp in april 2004 who started me on medication. 4 months later i was referred to a psychiatrist and started seeing a psychotherapist. My appt with the psychiatrist in december 04 was horrendous. He dismissed me as needing to handle my emotions better. Went back to my gp who started me on another anti-depressant. Last year i was having appointments every week, lost my job, attempted suicide, and my doc said to me earlier this year "i used to fear for you walking out of my door", referring to the 6/7months i was suicidal.
    So its 18months since that shrink appointment, with the help of my gp and therapist im working full time, but still taking the same medication(the dose never changed despite being suicidal), seeing the same therapist(apparently a clinical psychologist would only do the same thing as the therapist,plus an 18mth-2yr waiting list) and still self-harming.

So thats my experience and its quite annoying, but i get through each day somehow so i guess thats what i should be grateful for.

Good luck with the day hospital- i hope its finally what helps you.
  • Options
    hm, well i'm pretty interested into going into the mental heath sector....it doesn't seem to have a very good reputation though!
  • Options
    reading this thread worries me - not the folks who've posted -but the sheer inconsistency and sometimes dangerous way that as 'mental health patients' we're treated.

my pysch prescribed anafranil for me and depite me having a very dangerous reaction to it (ie collapsing and having bad palpitations etc) refused to treat me any further unless i carried on taking it. i refused to do so and stopped seeing him. i found out after that my GP and he SHOULD have tried me on SSRI's before the anafranil - but they didn't. i felt that cbt and counselling would have worked better for me without meds, as i seem to react badly to most medication anyway - but i was refused cbt, too on the grounds that - and i quote - 'the waiting list is too long' wtf?

however, conversely, my boyf has a wonderful psych, kind, caring, and someone who he really benefits from having appts with - the change in him has been remarkable.

i really really feel for the folks on here and the reactions/treatment they've had. why is it such a lottery? and why are psychs allowed to get away with being like this with patients?

sorry for the rant,folks, i just upsets me. hope i haven't offended anyone.

love cavey
    xx
  • Options
    cavegirl wrote:
    reading this thread worries me - not the folks who've posted -but the sheer inconsistency and sometimes dangerous way that as 'mental health patients' we're treated.

my pysch prescribed anafranil for me and depite me having a very dangerous reaction to it (ie collapsing and having bad palpitations etc) refused to treat me any further unless i carried on taking it. i refused to do so and stopped seeing him. i found out after that my GP and he SHOULD have tried me on SSRI's before the anafranil - but they didn't. i felt that cbt and counselling would have worked better for me without meds, as i seem to react badly to most medication anyway - but i was refused cbt, too on the grounds that - and i quote - 'the waiting list is too long' wtf?

however, conversely, my boyf has a wonderful psych, kind, caring, and someone who he really benefits from having appts with - the change in him has been remarkable.

i really really feel for the folks on here and the reactions/treatment they've had. why is it such a lottery? and why are psychs allowed to get away with being like this with patients?

sorry for the rant,folks, i just upsets me. hope i haven't offended anyone.

love cavey
    xx
    Yeah, I agree with you, things are very inconsistent it would seem.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    technically it means a psychiatrist.
    but most people use it to describe any type of head doctor.
  • Options
    Anyone been to one?

i would assume that if they are only on holiday for 2 weeks or something similar, they would expect people to cope without them - thats a guess though.
    thinking about your question, i rekon if someone cannot cope for a few weeks on their own, then they are far too reliant / dependant on their 'shrink', and that is not a good thing at all.
  • Options
    As far as Psychiatrists go I say SHOP AROUND UNTIL YOU ARE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR TREATMENT. Do not continue with someone you feel uncomfortable with, or if you feel they are really not helping you after discussions etc.

Good luck to anyone. I've been there and it wasn't a good experience for me, but it doesn't have to be that way for everyone. If I ever have to go back... which is looking a little likely at the minute, then I will not be going back to the same person and will keep on looking around until I find someone who I am happy and comfortable with.
  • Options
    God. I really haven't got anything to say that will help... I just never realised that so many people see psychiatrists and the like.