Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My voice!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have virtually lost my voice, it started on friday night and has lasted all weekend. Its at the point now where i sound like im whispering. Ive got a horrible cough, which i think has caused it, not an excessivley sore throat though.

Does anyone know anything i can take to try and help it come back? lol sounds a bit weird, im not sure how to word it properly. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Talk as little as possible, make sure your drinking plenty and wait. Its a very fun game, trust me.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    if you can get to a chemist they used to sell these things called voice sweets, mainly aimed at performers i think. when i was in glastonbury they had them in a chemist there, but tbh it might have been just because of its location.
    try warm drinks as cold can tighten the vocal chords. and if you can bear it wear a scarf...hope it comes back hun
  • Options
    Ahh it sounds just like what I get.
    The doc told me it's because when you have a really shocking cough, it makes your vocal chords swell up. And that's what makes your voice disappear, because when you talk then they can't vibrate together properly to give you a voice because they're sore. It doesn't have to hurt, though - my throat never does.
    It's just a matter of waiting until your cough calms down a bit and your vocal chords start to heal.
  • Options
    you might need antibiotics - I had a sore thorat that lasted a week - went tot he see the doc and got some tablest that cleared it up in a few days
  • Options
    I went to the docs on monday, ive got some syrupy stuff and some anti biotics, so hopefully il be ok soon! Still no voice though, 5days and counting lol.