Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

being too generous

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Without blowing my own horn i'm a pretty generous person, always have been and it's always been fine. Except now i've run out of money and i'm not quite sure what to do. My friends come round all the time and I feed them sandwiches, pasta, give them squash, tea , coffee and cigarettes, I pay for taxis and food the end of a night out and now i'm gonna have to somehow jus say no to everybody. Is there any way of doing this that isn't going to be awkward? Reading it sounds petty but its costing me a fortune. E.g i bought new bread and a little block of cheese last night and I now have 4 slives of bread and half the already little block left. 3 of us "chipped in" on cigs last night except I ended up paying £4.50. I'm simply screwing myself over. Help :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    well if being too generous didnt work out, you can try not being so generous. just be generous.

youre not trying to be a martyr are you?
  • Options
    no not at all, i jus fucked up this month went a bit wild with the money and can barely afford to feed myself. dunno how to tell my friends that if they come round i cant really feed them and shit.
  • Options
    ok. well what is it that you want to tell to them? i mean you can say things plainly that im broke at the moment, or make them feel guilty and say that you ran out of money feeding their scavenging asses.
  • Options
    Anyone who throws money around has loads of friends. When the money runs out, see who's still left, and never lose them.
  • Options
    Can't you suggest meeting in pub/cafe instead of your house? Or just feed them cheap stuff like economy pasta. Or go round their houses more.

It's not petty, it's unfair if you always end up paying for taxis and food. Can't you just, the next time you go out, say "I'm a bit short of money tonight" or simply not offer to pay?

If they are real friends they will understand.
  • Options
    me and my friends often feed each other but if one of us is skint, then we just tell the others we cant feed them as were low on food/money atm. true friends will understand as they wont be there for your money.

ETA: and if your friends are also students, they should understand how tight money can get sometimes
  • Options
    Just be honest and tell them you cant afford to feed them

Real friends wont care.
  • Options
    If you are planning to see them in advanced then maybe you could suggest everyone brings some food for you all to share. Then you would not end up paying for it all.

I've got a friend who I love to pieces but whenever he visits he eats me out of house and home! Now I hide my food or make sure I have nothing much in the house and buy a big loaf of cheap bread before he comes so I can fill him up on that and still afford to eat for the rest of the week myself!

Edited to add: You can be genorous with things other than money. You can be genorous to your friends by giving them your time when they need you etc rather than just with spending money on them.
  • Options
    if its all one sided then that sounds like your mates are taking advantage of you. don't you go 'round their gaffs at all? i think you should just be honest and say plain and simple 'money's a bit tight atm' or 'i'm broke' - as was said in another post, being students too - i presume you are all students - they will understand that money is not a thing which grows on trees. on a more serious note if you are a student and you are extremely financially hard up atm then you can apply to your university for some financial assistance. friendships just like any other relationship needs to be a two-way process, not all one-sided; if you are "too" generous, people will come to expect it off you and will take advantage of your good will.
  • Options
    Just say "I've fuck all money left" Plain and simple!

Do you think they're using you?
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    if its all one sided then that sounds like your mates are taking advantage of you. don't you go 'round their gaffs at all? i think you should just be honest and say plain and simple 'money's a bit tight atm' or 'i'm broke' - as was said in another post, being students too - i presume you are all students - they will understand that money is not a thing which grows on trees. on a more serious note if you are a student and you are extremely financially hard up atm then you can apply to your university for some financial assistance. friendships just like any other relationship needs to be a two-way process, not all one-sided; if you are "too" generous, people will come to expect it off you and will take advantage of your good will.

Agreed. But to me they don't sound like mates at all - they just want you for your money...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Agreed. But to me they don't sound like mates at all - they just want you for your money...
    in which case watch them run when they realize you 'aint got any anymore.
  • Options
    it's not necessarily being generous if you go to get some bread and realise you only have a few bits left! i take it they don't ask you first?
  • Options
    I was like this in my first year at Uni, I suddenly had more expendable money than I'd ever had before and I think I've always been generous almost to a fault (not really too good a quality, in all honesty) so it was a bad combination.

When I have, I like to give to the people I care about, and they understandably like to getgetget as most people do ;) so it pretty quickly turned into a bit of a ridiculous situation. Of course, I'm not implying that they were ungrateful either or anything like that; and they never asked to lend money or for me to feed them etc... and to be honest while I could afford it I liked doing it anyway. But yeah, it got a bit ridiculous.

So, I ended up being totally skint from time to time and I ended up having to tighten my purse strings. I agree with what other people have said about not having loads of tasty food around all the time; going to other people's flats too; not offering up the lion's share when you all pitch in for something. It's a difficult to alter your character if you're used to giving freely (and that's the way you definitely sound - no bad thing, but if you can be sensibly generous that's perfect), but try and think practically, you could've avoided being skint at the mo... you could be saving... or buying yourself something tangible rather than just frittering money away slowly on your mates.

I'm not saying you should stop altogether, but don't automatically feel like your hand needs to go into pocket when the subject of buying something comes up, or that you have to open your food cupboards when someone mentions being hungry. It's lovely if you do, but you need to have some food left when you're hungry, that's the bottom line. :)
  • Options
    The probelm is that I live right in the city centre and my two best friends here don't. So we hang around here and they have all sorts all day and its been fine, but then the moneys gone and yeh. I have pretty much sorted it I just had a subtle word really said I don't mind feeding them and stuff but when i buy a loaf of bread that would last me a week and its gone in a day and tea coffee bread cheese chips and stuff are gone in a couple days and I can't really afford it now and they were all fine. Admittedly I was drunk and possibly was a bit rude (e.g. buy your own food :lol:) it was just gettin too much. But as I said I had a word and its alright:thumb: cheers guys
  • Options
    Tell them to sod off and stop sponging off you. :p Okay, maybe not that bluntly, but surely they could understand if you told them you're not exactly loaded. Living in Manchester city centre can't be cheap - one reason why I'm not going there!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Tell them to sod off and stop sponging off you. :p Okay, maybe not that bluntly, but surely they could understand if you told them you're not exactly loaded. Living in Manchester city centre can't be cheap - one reason why I'm not going there!
    lol i did hehe. its not rent wise but everything else is soo cheap oop north!
  • Options
    lol i did hehe. its not rent wise but everything else is soo cheap oop north!
    Wish someone had reminded me of that about one month ago. :p
  • Options
    The probelm is that I live right in the city centre and my two best friends here don't. So we hang around here ...
    :yes:
    Same here. I have people over far more than I visit them. It just goes with living in a great location right :thumb:
  • Options
    Lol you'll love the brizzle Danny, I have a friend there at UWE.
    Yeh RG goes with living in a good spot :D
  • Options
    Lol you'll love the brizzle Danny, I have a friend there at UWE.
    We shall see...
  • Options
    no not at all, i jus fucked up this month went a bit wild with the money and can barely afford to feed myself. dunno how to tell my friends that if they come round i cant really feed them and shit.

Let them starve to death, then you won't have to tell them anything