Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Oven

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We got a brand new double Gas oven yesterday - only got it cos it was some bargain off a friend of my dad's - but everything's taking longer to cook, at least in the top half

Just made an Asda 14 inch pizza in the top only cos it was too deep to go in the botton and it's come out a bit gooey in the middle (middle of stone baked base that is) - anyone know what might causing it?

Also how the heck can you tell when it's reached the right preheat, cos inthe top the door is solid metal so you can't see the flame and when you open the door a switch turns off the gas and turns it back on when you close it.

We tried chips and garlic bread in there yesterday and they also came out a bit softer then in our old oven. Usually garlic bread would have been harder and cruncier

The air in our old oven was always very dry and hot this one seems to be less of a dry heat if you know what I mean. Which mightbe good for cooking meat but for pastry type stuff not sure if it's a good thing.

Anyway any cooking experts in the house? I'd just gotten used to the old oven, now everything is new but not sure if it's improved .. :chin:

Comments

• Options
    ours has a light that comes on when its reached temperature, dont you have one of those?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ours used to have a light (That broke). We jsut leave it about 15-30 mins, it'll usually be ifne by then! Try going by "feel" when you open the door - do you feel the heat? (Don't burn yourself, ok, don't touch the shelf or anything!)

Erm, otherwise... no idea.
  • Options
    Thermostat has probably gone on it if it's not cooking to the same as you would expect for the level of heat that you select.

Maybe you have to leave it longer to warm up and whatnot.
  • Options
    We've got an electric oven and cos its bigger it takes a bit longer to pre-heat. Say, give it about 10 minutes. But once its up the right heat everything should cook in roughly the same time regardless of the oven type :confused: so I'm confused.

Why not ask the person you got it off?
  • Options
    Gas ovens take longer than fan assisted electric ovens. See the cooking instructions.
  • Options
    It's OK to judge onthe bottom half cos it's got a glass door but the top is solid metal.

Looks like this pic and has glass on the top bit but behind the glass (top) it's metal so you can't see inside

Also it's constantly blowing warm air our of the top - it says in the manual that's to keep the controls cool but it seems quite wasteful cos the air is quite warm.

Do other people's ovens blow warm air out of vents? Our old one never got rid of any heat it all stayed inside.

dy230g_Large.jpg
  • Options
    It's OK to judge onthe bottom half cos it's got a glass door but the top is solid metal.

Looks like this pic and has glass on the top bit but behind the glass (top) it's metal so you can't see inside

Also it's constantly blowing warm air our of the top - it says in the manual that's to keep the controls cool but it seems quite wasteful cos the air is quite warm.

Do other people's ovens blow warm air out of vents? Our old one never got rid of any heat it all stayed inside.

dy230g_Large.jpg

That sounds like a problem there. Cold air... maybe, but warm air over the controls?

Maybe its just me who thinks that sounds strange!
  • Options
    well the top door looks like the grill to me, and i always leave it open, so i can see how well things are cooking
  • Options
    the gas flame never seems to go out on this oven, it's like always maintained at a constant level like we put it on gas mark 5 - and then if you turn it down slightly the gas goes off , but it seems to be the oven produces a constant flame to whatever you set it to and then expells the extra heat via the fan?

In our old oven once it got to 5 it turned off and would come back on after a while if it needed to.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well the top door looks like the grill to me, and i always leave it open, so i can see how well things are cooking

Oh yea, that makes sense too.

Does the top half heat up by a metal filament? If I was cooking pizza I'd bung it in for 10 minutes top shelf of the bottom oven at 200*C
  • Options
    For the preheat thing, you could just stick a thermomater in the over. Obviously one made for ovens, then just look at that.
  • Options

Ours has a fan that will blow air through the front to cool the controls after the grill has been on.
  • Options
    Oh yea, that makes sense too.

Does the top half heat up by a metal filament? If I was cooking pizza I'd bung it in for 10 minutes top shelf of the bottom oven at 200*C

The top half is a combined grill or oven

if you open the door then you can turn on the grilling and flames come on the top along the roof of the oven for cooking on top but if you close the door there is a switch and it allows you to cook like it was a mini oven.

But there is no door to see the flame or light to tell you when it's preheated.
  • Options
    ahh ok, go you know

to be honest i just throw a pizza in at the required gas mark, and leave it for the required time, check its cooked properly, and whack it on a plate
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Thermostat has probably gone
    thats why it was goig cheap! :lol: