Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

laptop turning itself off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wondered if any of you geeks...erm I mean technically minded people might be able to help me.

A blue screen keeps randomly popping up on my laptop shortly followed by it restarting. It has writing on the screen but it doesnt give me time to read it, so far all I've managed to read is something like.

"Physical dump of memory" and "if this is the first time you have seen this screen"

Its really annoying because I've been bringing some work home recently and can't get it done.

I'd really appreciate some help. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Like this:

xp_bluescreen2.png

?
  • Options
    Also what operating system is it? Pre-XP?
  • Options
    Yes thats the screen, its xp I think.

How can I check if its xp?

Thanx you two!
  • Options
    Click on Start - it should tell you at the top of the list.
  • Options
    No it doesn't say on start but I'm pretty sure its XP or newer then XP if thats possible.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    It was a funny little link but unfortunately I got completely lost after the second page. :blush:

It hasnt done it for a good few hours so maybe it has sorted itself out. The trouble is that it doesn't give me time to read what the error is so i don't know what I need to fix or which drivers or memory banks or whatever need cleaning. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

:o
  • Options
    It was a funny little link but unfortunately I got completely lost after the second page. :blush:

It hasnt done it for a good few hours so maybe it has sorted itself out. The trouble is that it doesn't give me time to read what the error is so i don't know what I need to fix or which drivers or memory banks or whatever need cleaning. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

:o

Yeah, to be honest if you dont know much about computers then a blue screen error isnt going to be easy!
    It can either be hardware (i.e something wrong with a component inside the PC) or software (a program installed on your PC, i.e Word, Excel etc etc)

I would say as a general rule of thumb, if it happens completely randomly, then its more often than not a hardware issue.
    If it seems to happen more specifically, like when using word, or when browsing the internet, then it is more likely to be software.

Have you installed anything new on the PC lately? Or made any major changes?
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah, to be honest if you dont know much about computers then a blue screen error isnt going to be easy!
    It can either be hardware (i.e something wrong with a component inside the PC) or software (a program installed on your PC, i.e Word, Excel etc etc)

I would say as a general rule of thumb, if it happens completely randomly, then its more often than not a hardware issue.
    If it seems to happen more specifically, like when using word, or when browsing the internet, then it is more likely to be software.

Have you installed anything new on the PC lately? Or made any major changes?

I don't think i have installed anything new. It happens mainly when I'm listening to music I think. I had to do something to it a few months ago, my Dad was instructing me, I had to put the installation cd's back in and set it all up again I think. It said afterwards that it was some problem with the speakers so it could be that again? Its dead hard trying to explain when I dont know what I'm talking about. :lol:
  • Options
    Ok, it could be something wrong with the sound card drivers then.

Basically a driver is software on the machine which tells it how to use the hardware.
    Whats the make and model of the laptop?
    I will see if I can find the driver for your sound card for you.
  • Options
    Its a Compaq Presario V5000.

I think...

Well thats what it says on the sticker anyway.
  • Options
    Its a Compaq Presario V5000.

I think...

Well thats what it says on the sticker anyway.

I just did a quick search, it seems there are lots of different types of that model... there should be a stick under the laptop with the exact model number, I will paste a couple of examples here so you know what kind of thing to look for...

» Compaq Presario V5032EA Notebook PC
    » Compaq Presario V5033EA Notebook PC
    » Compaq Presario V5054EA Notebook PC
    » Compaq Presario V5059EA Notebook PC
    » Compaq Presario V5079EA Notebook PC

Should be something like that.... the bits in bold are the main thing your looking out for...
  • Options
    v5030

its in the smallest print i've ever seen :yes:
  • Options
    Go to this webpage

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&os=228&product=1817064&lang=en&softwareitem=ob-37058-1

At the very bottom click Download only...
    Save the file onto your desktop or my documents or what ever. Once its downloaded, double click it and follow the instructions (pretty much just click next a few times) Then see if that fixes your problem!

:thumb:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Go to this webpage

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&os=228&product=1817064&lang=en&softwareitem=ob-37058-1

At the very bottom click Download only...
    Save the file onto your desktop or my documents or what ever. Once its downloaded, double click it and follow the instructions (pretty much just click next a few times) Then see if that fixes your problem!

:thumb:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!! Have a cake :birthday: :D
  • Options
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!! Have a cake :birthday: :D

*eats the cake quick just incase it dont work* :D
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    *eats the cake quick just incase it dont work* :D

I'm not going to try yet because I've got some stuff saved that I don't want to lose, but I'll do it later and I'll let you know! :yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    Ok... well I have eaten the cake anyway! :lol:

In all seriousness, let me know how it goes!
  • Options
    Should just be a driver issue, as JamesZero has said. If that doesn't cure it, then the next logical step would be to see if there is an updated BIOS revision, and to see if there are and IRQ conflicts with any other devices.

If there is no updated BIOS revision, and no conflicts, then the chances are that the problem is hardware. Soundcards don't tend to go bad(but these things can happen...), so memory would be the easiest option. Cleaning it very, very, very rarely helps anything. Pop it out and slap it back in again, taking care to handle the DIMM around the edges and stay away from the ICs on the board.

I've only had two machines that have found a long-term fix by cleaning the memory - but lots of handling of the DIMMs can cause more problems than it is likely to solve.

Anyway, James has this one in the bag. Just thought I'd offer a little help in case it didn't work :).

Of course, it might just be because girls play crap music. Get some AC/DC and Phil Collins going through it... ;)