Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Woman only village in Kenya

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK so I was reading Marie Claire magazine (yes Klintock feel free to take the piss) the other day and there was an interesting article about a community in Kenya. The woman were making a stand against the abuse they had suffered at the hands of men (and sometimes woman), they created their own self-sufficient village where the live free of men they employ men to work and dance for them.

Heres a link to an article in the guardian clicky

I was just wondering what people thought about it, I feel its so disturbing that a whole society giving women freedom, equality and a life without abuse is even news worthy, it should be what is expected anyway.

Quote:
"A package of new laws has been presented to Kenya's parliament to give women unprecedented rights to refuse marriage proposals, fight sexual harassment in the workplace, reject genital mutilation and to prosecute rape, an act so frequent that Kenyan leaders call it the nation's biggest human rights issue."

The trouble is who is enforcing these laws?

I'd just like to add that it is claimed the women were not only raped by their husbands but also the British army.

Comments

• Options
    Well the whole prosecution of rapists and such is fine. But surely any society based on a single sex is doomed to failure?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well the whole prosecution of rapists and such is fine. But surely any society based on a single sex is doomed to failure?

Bullshit!

Cloning ;)
  • Options
    I think it's a load of shit.
  • Options
    i totally agree, that whats happened is wrong, but to hide themselves in a little community, surely wont help in the long run because it will make all women feel that they have to live in a seperate community to be safe, and could escalate out of control, whereas if women stood up in their own community (setting up safe houses, education to husbands etc and start a link with the local police) it would allow women to become equal citizens in a society, not scared on the fringes.
    R
  • Options
    maybe they felt that isolating themselves was the only way out?
  • Options
    Once a month that will be the worst place on Earth to visit.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    maybe they felt that isolating themselves was the only way out?
    i fear this is true, just shows how people (some husbands) can get it so wrong. but we have to remember that not all husbands in africa are that bad.
    R
  • Options

It's a women's refuge effectively, that's all. I actually think it's a brilliant idea. The bigger and more empowered the group gets the further they can push their aims for equal rights in Kenya. It is about solidarity and protection.
  • Options
    It is about solidarity and protection.

yeah thats right but to distance yourself from society is not the way to unite, it must be done to show the strength of women not the cowardice of being forced into a whole new community.
  • Options
    yeah thats right but to distance yourself from society is not the way to unite, it must be done to show the strength of women not the cowardice of being forced into a whole new community.
    Not at all... If they are protected then they can form solidarity...

Take meetings for example... how can they meet up and discuss a campaign to women's rights if they are always oppressed?

They are not running away for ever are they?

Think back to when trade unions began, you don't hold a meeting with the boss present do you?

Besides, I still support the idea. Nobody here has any idea what these women have been through. If you were raped would you want to be around who you see as potential rapists all the time? Would you want to be in a community that hates you because you were raped?

I certainly wouldn't, nor would I want to risk being raped again.
  • Options
    It's a women's refuge effectively, that's all. I actually think it's a brilliant idea. The bigger and more empowered the group gets the further they can push their aims for equal rights in Kenya. It is about solidarity and protection.

How does humanity benefit from it though? The sole purpose of life is to live and reproduce. I've studied Women in Ireland in the 19th Century for my first year History and there's far better ways of empowering women's rights than making self sufficient women only villages. It's a load of fucking shite. End of story!
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]. If you were raped would you want to be around who you see as potential rapists all the time? Would you want to be in a community that hates you because you were raped?

I certainly wouldn't, nor would I want to risk being raped again.[/QUOTE]

So living in an all female village makes them immune to rape? :confused:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If I was constantly at risk of being raped and beaten, I wouldn't give a shit about "humanity" or any other high minded ideals. I'd care about making myself safe and my children safe, and that's about it. The whole purpose of life, by the way, is not just reproduction, but primarily survival, and that's exactly what these women are trying to do, and are taking action themselves to ensure it rather than passively allowing themselves to be made victims of by the men of their community.

It's easy to rubbish the idea when you've never been in that position of constant threat, but try stepping outside your own narrow minded little world and actually imagining what those women's lives were like before, what they're like now, and then try and tell me it's a load of fucking shite.

Why should women have to sacrifice their safety and well-being for "humanity", or for the good of their community when by that you mean, the men of their community? Now that'sa load of fucking shite.
    *applauds*
  • Options
    If I was constantly at risk of being raped and beaten, I wouldn't give a shit about "humanity" or any other high minded ideals. I'd care about making myself safe and my children safe, and that's about it. The whole purpose of life, by the way, is not just reproduction, but primarily survival, and that's exactly what these women are trying to do, and are taking action themselves to ensure it rather than passively allowing themselves to be made victims of by the men of their community.

It's easy to rubbish the idea when you've never been in that position of constant threat, but try stepping outside your own narrow minded little world and actually imagining what those women's lives were like before, what they're like now, and then try and tell me it's a load of fucking shite.

Why should women have to sacrifice their safety and well-being for "humanity", or for the good of their community when by that you mean, the men of their community? Now that'sa load of fucking shite.

:yes:

And I believe that when they get bigger and more influential, then they can start workingfor women's rights without being disturbed or found out and beaten up.
  • Options

Again, a women only village makes them immune to rape? Your living in a dream world if you think it does.
  • Options

Bollocks. If you think social isolation is going to provide human rights to women in developing world cultures then it is you with the narrow mind.

Women's refuges are fine for the short term but if the result is a group of women too terrified to interact with men then it's a sorry state of affairs, and actually is rather sexist. The implication is that all men are predatory and dangerous and that women can only be safe if they create communities with no resident men.

Women's rights is a very important goal for almost every developing nation and a lot of effort is going in to empower women to take control of family finances and even to seek employment. However, this is reliant on men also seeking to give women equal rights. Otherwise there isn't much point. To whom would they be equal if there are no men?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Bollocks. If you think social isolation is going to provide human rights to women in developing world cultures then it is you with the narrow mind.

Women's refuges are fine for the short term but if the result is a group of women too terrified to interact with men then it's a sorry state of affairs, and actually is rather sexist. The implication is that all men are predatory and dangerous and that women can only be safe if they create communities with no resident men.

The women there do interact with men as I said in my previous post. Men are paid to come into the village and do odd jobs etc. The women themselves go into the local town and interact with men, the teenage girls go to dances and have boyfriends. They have created the village to rid themselves of the abusive life they lead in the original tribe which had a culture of abuse. When the young girls hit puberty they were sold off for marriage, at which point the local women in the tribe cut off the brides clitoris with a razor blade to 'ensure the wife's fidelity'. Surely they have they right to a safe and happy life away from those kind of traditions?

Basically this is the only way these people could keep themselves safe and make a stand against these traditions and values. They didn't have a voice in the tribe but now they are out of it people can listen.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Women's rights is a very important goal for almost every developing nation and a lot of effort is going in to empower women to take control of family finances and even to seek employment. However, this is reliant on men also seeking to give women equal rights. Otherwise there isn't much point. To whom would they be equal if there are no men?

Ha well said. Obviously I couldn't convey the message so eloquently. ;)
  • Options
    Much as I hate to say it, I rather agree with Turlough. I sympathise with these women - they must have had some awful treatment from men to have resorted to this. But if they think that being amongst only women means they have no chance of being raped again, they are mistaken. The odds may be lower, they may be the same, I don't know. I just find it sad they've had to resort to such extremes.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    The men will pretty soon want their women back. They'll want the people back who do the majority of the subsistence work and they'll certainly be missing sex before long. And the only way they can get the women back is by listening to their concerns, and acting to ensure their safety in future. This is the women's way of forcing the men in their society to recognise thier equal rights and equal capacity for autonomy, and I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

That's the idea, of course we know things don't exactly work like that in corrupt 3rd world countries.
  • Options
    It might make the possibility of their being raped lower - after all, if you don't live with men around you, it seems you're at least a bit less likely to be raped by one - but that isn't really the point. It's more to do with the fact that the existing living arrangements in their society means that when they are raped, it's not even considered a crime or a problem. There is no one they can go to to demand justice, because those with authority in their community don't give a shit and don't see what is happening to women on a daily basis as anything that needs altering. Just think about that for a second. We take it for granted that if we are raped, or beaten up, and it is proven who did it, our society will condemn it and the person responsible punished. Have any of you ever been raped, by the way? Ever had the community at large force your 13 year old daughter into marriage with a middle aged man, with you powerless to stop it? Thought not.

The point is, like moonrat said it's a women's refuge; they exist in this country and all over the world. Stargalaxy, of course it's sad that sometimes women need to separate themselves from men to ensure their safety, but that's nothing new. I don't think it is intended as a long term or permanent solution to women's problems; what it is about is forcing their society to listen to women's voices and pay attention to their demands.

The men will pretty soon want their women back. They'll want the people back who do the majority of the subsistence work and they'll certainly be missing sex before long. And the only way they can get the women back is by listening to their concerns, and acting to ensure their safety in future. This is the women's way of forcing the men in their society to recognise thier equal rights and equal capacity for autonomy, and I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

I do think it's interesting that the women posting in this thread are in agreement with the women's actions, while the men aren't. Maybe it's because for us, the thrat of living in constant fear of violence and rape is more real or tangible, I don't know.
    that's what i realised, rape is in fact more of an issue for women than it is for men, because they're generally the victims.
    I can hardly blame them for wanting to get away after being treated like shit...why should they stand for it? It's a refuge not a way of life.