Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Star gazing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
been reading a post and it went from a brother who was going to turn down a scholarship to stars so im not one of those telescope people i just like walking out into the middle of know where lying in the grass and staring at the sky,
i feel stars are underated.
just wondered how many others appreciate stars?
and wheres the best place to go?
R

Comments

• Options
    you on crack mate?

just go away from any town and you'll see plenty of stars. good luck.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    been reading a post and it went from a brother who was going to turn down a scholarship to stars so im not one of those telescope people i just like walking out into the middle of know where lying in the grass and staring at the sky,
    i feel stars are underated.
    just wondered how many others appreciate stars?
    and wheres the best place to go?
    R

Somewhere quiet with no light pollution - Lulworth cove in Dorset is a good example.
  • Options
    high up in north wales is amazing ...they hang like bunches of grapes!
  • Options
    I've done a couple of modules on astrophysics while at uni, and it's one of the more interesting subjects of the course I must say. As for stargazing with the naked eye, as the others have mentioned, you need to get as far away from towns/main roads as possible, to avoid light pollution, higher up is better, but if you're in a field in the middle of nowhere you'll get a fairly good view :)
  • Options
    Looking at stars is much fun. I can never tell the various constellations though.
  • Options
    Looking at stars is much fun. I can never tell the various constellations though.
    me neither i can do plough and orions belt sometimes and some other ones, i can usually find mars, but the rest i havent got a clue.
    but i've been thinking about it, scientists say that the universe is expanding so surely all the stars are moving away and changing the shape of the constellations?
  • Options
    I can point out a dipper (whether it be the big or small, I wouldn't know) Thats about it though. I do like looking at stars, back where my parents live you can see alot every night, unless its cloudy. Then if you travel just about 5 minutes to outside town you can see everything. I like looking for shooting stars, :yes:
  • Options
    scientists say that the universe is expanding so surely all the stars are moving away and changing the shape of the constellations?

it is expanding, but not fast enough to notice, unless you live for a few billion years :) more confusingly, the further away a stellar object is, the faster it is moving away from us...
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    it is expanding, but not fast enough to notice, unless you live for a few billion years :)
    but over billions of years as it expands then surerly the greeks who mapped them and and my great great x1000000 grandchildren won't be able to see what the greeks saw?
    R
  • Options
    after a long time yes they would, but also, as our tiny solar system rotates around the galaxy, the night sky itself will change too :) I would think that this, and the extinction of stars would probably have a more significant impact on what our ancestors will see in the future than the expansion of space, although that's just an guess... and after about 8 billion years, our sun will go supernova anyways, so there wont be anyone here to compare :)
  • Options
    Laying on my back, in the middle of a field, high on magic mushrooms, looking up into the night sky is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!
    It was like the stars and moon were about 10 feet above my head... :thumb:
  • Options
    did you know ...our milky way is a hundred thousand light years across ...we're on an outer arm rushing through the unknown blackness ...going somewhere.

if we were any further up the arm ...we wouldn't actualy be able to see much in the way of stars and distance ...the further up the arm you go ...the more billions of stars fill your night sky.
    a mere fifty light years up the arm and our night view of the universe would be obscured by a billion suns ...so you could say we have a room with a view.
  • Options
    Oh I really love gazing at the stars. In my polluted city there is no way to see them, but on holiday we go down south every year with my family to the countryside in the middle of nowhere, and get the most amazing sight :)

With my brother (the one from the other post :p) we bought ourselves a book to learn the name of the stars and the constellations. Heh, what a couple of geeks. But it was fascinating really. We would lie on our backs for ours into the night gazing at the stars and learning to identify them.. I can now identify the main constellations of the summer night sky, of the southern hemisphere of course (which is where I live), as well as the names of the shiniest stars, and most of the planets. The star-strewn sky simply fascinates me. I'm a true geek about it, I even asked for a telescope when I turned 15.. (I didn't get it). But a cousin of mine has a telescope, and I seen the moon through it... It was just amazing :)
  • Options
    go camp on a big tall hill in the middle of nowhere

i bet theres a really sexy view of the stars from the top of everest
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    go camp on a big tall hill in the middle of nowhere

i do it all the time its amazing and it keeps me going, its all about the little things.
    R