Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stupid barstaff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend went out in Birmingham last night. He was in a bar and ordered two double vodka and cokes. Paid on a card by chip and pin, but only when he got to the table and looked at the receipt, did he realise the barman had typed £15,000 (they were quite pissed at the time). The barstaff couldn't speak much English apparently.

So, I'm asusming the payment will have bounced? It's only a student account. Will he get charged?

What a donkey :lol:

Comments

• Options
    lmao umm why didn't he say something whilst he was there? Mind you i would have thought it would have come back card declined.
  • Options
    im pretty sure that the barstaff in question is even more stupid for letting your mate walk away without paying for his drinks

cause theres no human way a student would have £15,000 sat in an account, therefore im guessing the payment would have been refused, and therefore stupid barstaff for not even checking the receipt to see if payment was successful, nevermind for how much
  • Options
    The payment would have been refused, and if he does get charged by the bank he sould appeal about the bar staffs stupidity
  • Options
    If he didn't speak great English then I bet it was because of the fact that he hadn't been trained properly rather than him being stupid himself.
  • Options
    It should say on the reciept whether it was declined or not.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    It should say on the reciept whether it was declined or not.

Thats what I was thinking...
    Also if it was just flat out declined there wont be any charges because no money ever left the account...

Chances are your mate got a free drink!
  • Options
    My friend went out in Birmingham last night. He was in a bar and ordered two double vodka and cokes. Paid on a card by chip and pin, but only when he got to the table and looked at the receipt, did he realise the barman had typed £15,000 (they were quite pissed at the time). The barstaff couldn't speak much English apparently.

a similar thing happened to a friend of myn a while back in manchester. some idiot got the deciamal point in the wrong place. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Its actually up to the customer to check it though, I believe. When I worked in a coffee shop, one of my colleagues put something like £176.00 rather than £17.60. When they say check the amount and sign, they really do mean it, as you are signing/entering the pin to say please debit the account.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Must've been one of those Lithuanian or Polish cunts.
    thats a bit strong yes their english should be better before they work front of house, but if it was very harful , we need many foreign workers especially in London where the catering industry would come to a stand still.
    R
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If he didn't know the language (aside from the fact that he shouldn't even be in a position where he's required to speak it) it's possible he thought , is used to separate pounds from pennies, as it's used in other countries (like here). So he thought he was typing the amount of 15.000.
  • Options
    If he didn't know the language (aside from the fact that he shouldn't even be in a position where he's required to speak it) it's possible he thought , is used to separate pounds from pennies, as it's used in other countries (like here). So he thought he was typing the amount of 15.000.
    But even so, the round before was like £2.50 a drink so that can't work out correct!
  • Options
    But even so, the round before was like £2.50 a drink so that can't work out correct!
    I guess so. Sorry, I almost have no idea how much 2.50 or 15 is! :D
  • Options
    Well, £2.50 = E3.67 and £15 = E22.04 ;)
  • Options
    Well, £2.50 = E3.67 and £15 = E22.04 ;)
    In drachmas, silly.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    In drachmas, silly.
    No, Euros is fine. Believe it or not, I've almost forgot how much drs were worth! I must be the only one! :lol:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    In drachmas, silly.
    Most europeans know Euros now...

ETA: 2,000th post :D
  • Options
    Most europeans know Euros now...
    It was a joke, bozo. :p
  • Options