Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recipes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am trying to lose weight but don't have many ideas on low cal/fat meals.
So i am after some inspiration.

Help me out peeps. I don't really do seafood.

Comments

• Options
    I'd say it's more about what you do than what you eat if you want to lose weight.

Anyway won't google throw up a few ideas?
  • Options
    Something with only vegetables! Or a vegetarian diet. I have to take fat pills cos i dont get enough in my diet :yes: A ratatouille is good - with couscous, risotto etc. Or fish has very few calories.

Ratatouille ....

Fry some onion and garlic in olive oil, stick in four tomatoes or a can of chopped ones. add a courgette and a pepper or two, then after 5 minutes if you feel like it add sweet corn or aubergine. Then add a little salt, sugar, black pepper, bay leaf and chilli. Simmer for 10 minutes and your sorted! You can freeze it too!

Another good one is dhal. Lentils have lots of protein so you feel really full afterwards. Good with rice.

Fry onion and garlic. Put a green pepper or two with some diced chillis/ chilli powder. Stick red lentils and vegetable stockcube in the pan, and add water to it. You can add milk for extra creaminess, but not so good if you are on a diet. Add spices to taste, but i reccommend cumin powdered, tumeric and perhaps some peppercorns or cinnamon. Once the redlentils have turned to mush then its done, I think its about 15 minutes cooking altogether. If you dont like really mushy dhal, then use green/ puy lentils instead. I had those for dinner tonight yumyum!
  • Options
    Dust, anybody? Dust? :p
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I'd say it's more about what you do than what you eat if you want to lose weight.

Anyway won't google throw up a few ideas?

I'm working on that too but it does matter what i eat. Having an underactive thyroid makes it really hard for me to lose weight as it is so i need to work on both.

I have googled but nothing much i can see so i thought i would ask you lot. :)
  • Options
    Ohh salads! I know the best salad in the world!

Boil and chop up some potatoes. Add raisins, spring onion, lettuce, cucumber, red and green pepper, chives, oregano yummy!

For the dressing add one part olive oil, one part cider/some sort of alcoholic vinegar, and a teaspoon of honey.

This is really healthy and the potaoe fills you up.

I made one large bowl of this and it did me for 4 meals.
  • Options
    I quite like the idea of trying stirfrys (ob in olive oil) but i don't know what sort of sauces i could do.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    are you looking to make a family meal or just something quick for lunch?

A family meal, i am ok at lunchtimes :)
  • Options
    Not what you're really after but you should grill food and not fry it.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    hmmm... tough one because it needs to suit all the family...

Like I already said, try swapping meat for things like Quorn, I think the mince and Quorn pieces only have something silly like 3% fat (I'll go look in the freezer and find out later). Pizza and salad is always one of my favourites - ok so the pizza is a treat but the salad is healthier than having chips with it. Uhm.. tink tink, how about things like stir frys - although I'm not sure how well it'd go down with the little one. Grilled chicken and vegetables?

What would a typical evening meal be for you now?
    On a good night, grilled chicken, potatos (or mash) with with beans/peas/mized veg.
    On a bad night fish fingers chips and beans.
    We do have pasta quite a bit but i don't want that every day.
    I tried quorn sausages and really didn't like them, its the rest as bad?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Not what you're really after but you should grill food and not fry it.

We do unless its something that needs frying but we don't use much oil and its olive oil at that.
  • Options
    Quorn sausages ming, but the rest is fine with a sauce on it. The fake chicken pieces were nice on pizza as well.
  • Options
    If your looking for a simple sauce for stir fry, I usually use a bit of soy and some 5 spice mixed together. Its enogh to give it some flavour, but its isn't runny enough to be sauce-like.
  • Options
    If your looking for a simple sauce for stir fry, I usually use a bit of soy and some 5 spice mixed together. Its enogh to give it some flavour, but its isn't runny enough to be sauce-like.

:yes: thats the sort of thing i am after :D whats this 5 spice thing? :lol: is it something you buy already mixed together like dried spices?
  • Options
    Yeah, you get it in the herbs and spices bit of the supermarket. Its usually just called "chinese 5 spice", its made of aniseed, cinammon, fennell, black pepper and cloves.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the fat content or calories, but Tesco sells ready-to-cook stir fry sauce, is usually with the veg/fruit/coslaw/ready made pasta/etc.
  • Options
    Dust, anybody? Dust? :p

That absoultly cracked me up when I first saw that! :lol:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I am trying to lose weight but don't have many ideas on low cal/fat meals.
    So i am after some inspiration.
    simple answer is just make the meals that you have smaller. :)
  • Options
    veggie sausages...try cauldron. the best veggie sausages in the world, low fat and actually have some flavour unlike most veggie sausages. soo yummy
  • Options
    Its just a case of making the boring things more interesting, grilled chicken on its own is pretty uninspiring and as such I would not eat it, try different marinades, a basic one could just be olive oil with some fresh herbs basil goes nice.For veggies a nice thing to do is to stuff beef tomatoes, you can be quite imaginitive with what you stuff it with also, for example something like a dice of peppers, olives and add some feta cheese, the cheese melts and its yummy. Make your own soups there extremly yummy and very cost effective.
    Pm me if you want any more advice, I'm a chef by the way so should know a little bit.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    veggie sausages...try cauldron. the best veggie sausages in the world, low fat and actually have some flavour unlike most veggie sausages. soo yummy
    I love Cauldron sausages! Tesco do a similar version in their frozen sections, the veggie range in the green packaging. SO GOOD.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Recepies?!

1x Cake Mix
    1x Eight of pot. :D
    1x Takeaway menu, that delivers.

Make cakes, add the pot, enjoy. After it hits ya, put on some tunes. When the munchies set in, order food.

Won't help you lose weight, just is mgihty fun.