Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brown spends 22% more on the Scots than on the English

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Interesting article.

The myth engineered by Labour that Brown has managed the economy well would be amusing if it wasn’t a lie swallowed by so many people. It’s bad enough that Brown takes the credit for Ken Clarke’s work but far worse is Brown’s mismanagement of the booming economy he inherited...
They will also confirm that most of Britain is now even more dependent on government spending than social-democratic countries such as France but that the southern tip of England is less dependent on state handouts than almost all other rich economies.

Government spending as a share of gross domestic product (GDP) in north-east England was 58.1%, in the north-west 50.4%, in Scotland 51.1%, Wales 59.3% and Northern Ireland an astonishing 66.2% of GDP, according to an analysis of the 2004-05 figures by Williams de Broë. It is only 31.3% in the east and south-east and 36.8% in London, but those regions pay a disproportionately high tax burden, which is then spent in the north and the rest of the UK. David Smith, chief economist at Williams de Broë, said: “North-east England, Wales and Northern Ireland almost qualify as Potemkin economies, with virtually no ability to stand on their own two feet.”

And yet another reason to support Scottish independence...(and to scupper Brown's desperation to get the keys to No.10).
PUBLIC spending per person in Scotland will be 22.2% higher than in England and 40.9% higher than in the east of England this year, official figures published by Chancellor Gordon Brown reveal this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    And?

The rich areas support the poor areas. That's how society works.

And there wouldn't be any money to spend if it wasn't for the SCOTTISH oil and gas reserves.
  • Options
    They are British oil and gas reserves. Why New Labour were retarded enough to begin devolution i do not know.

And as for Brown...well, it doesnt matter who he spends money on, he is still just going to leave us in an economic black hole worse then ever before. Thats what overspending with money the country doesnt have causes.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    They are British oil and gas reserves. Why New Labour were retarded enough to begin devolution i do not know.

Perhaps because the people of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland wanted it?

After all, we do live in a democracy.

If you're gonna divide the country's spending into regions, then you divide the country's resources into regions.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Yes and Scotland is also part of Britain. As Kermit says the richer parts of the UK subisidise the poorer parts. This isn't unique to the UK, the same happens in France, Germany, the US etc...

They put in place devolution because they felt that it would help stop the break-up of the UK and because for much of the Tory years they had only one or two MPs in Scotland and wales and this caused a lot of resentment.

Though one thing to be said for them at least they stood in Scotland and Wales. Labour doesn't stand in Northern Ireland, effectively meaning that 1.5 million people have no say in the Government that rules over them
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And?

Government spending as a % of GDP in the North East is 58.1% and 66.2% in Northern Ireland. You don’t think that’s ridiculously high? NI admittedly has some exceptional circumstances but anything over 50% is still unacceptable.
    Kermit wrote:
    And there wouldn't be any money to spend if it wasn't for the SCOTTISH oil and gas reserves.

It’s not as if Scottish nationalists discovered the oil. You’re completely exaggerating their worth anyway. And the oil is running out – a good time to give Scotland independence perhaps? :p
  • Options
    Government spending as a % of GDP in the North East is 58.1% and 66.2% in Northern Ireland. You don’t think that’s ridiculously high?

Not really, I live in the North East and huge amounts of this area need every penny of that government funding. The old coalfields of Durham and Sunderland have been destroyed, there are literally no jobs, and private companies won't ever put the investment in because the workforce in these areas isn't educated enough.

The poor should support the rich. The rich bankers of the south-east can support places like the north-east, places which have been destroyed and truly are down on their arse.

Using percentiles of GDP/GNP is also completely pointless- of course London's percentile will be lower, as London's GDP is much higher than that of the north east and Northern Ireland. Investment banking is a bit more profitable than closed mines and tanning salons.
  • Options
    GB is buying his office with money he stole.

What else is new?

Those places that vote labour get pandered to at the expense of Tory ones.

As for their being no jobs etc in certain areas, our Gordon is making sure that those people stay there and still vote his lot in, rather than doing what anyone with two braincells does when there is no work nearby - namely move.

So you have a minor disaster that could have been over in 6 months dragged out for decades because of government "help".
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    And?

Very good point.

It is theirs, whatever anyone says. In Scottish territory. Plus they work alot on the effing Boats and Rigs getting it, in all sorts of weather.

People can toss about the spending differences all they want. Fact is, the North of Britain has been neglected for a while now, and needs redevelopment thanks to the wonderful idea of "Lets send our Industry abroad!" so alot of the industry in the North - which was a mass employer and provider - has gone.

God bless Capitalism, eh? I love some peoples stance - mainly on the right - they want Britain to be strong, but supported Thatcher destroying the Unions, and supported all this Capitalist stance, so they sent labour to where it is cheaper - then bitch because of it.

Can't have it all, its one or the other. The North needs investment now, or it'll get worse. Down south it isn't so bad, it isn't perfect, but it could be worse.
  • Options
    If the people wanted devolution why is it that in the Case of Scotalnd and Wales, no majority of the voters voted? The percentages were minute out of the people who actually voted. Voting should have been mandatory in a case that important.
  • Options
    The Scottish are over represented, we give them more money and they still complain!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not really, I live in the North East and huge amounts of this area need every penny of that government funding. The old coalfields of Durham and Sunderland have been destroyed, there are literally no jobs, and private companies won't ever put the investment in because the workforce in these areas isn't educated enough.
    The north east is still a dump. Where is all the money going?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    luke88 wrote:
    You can tell you've not been to the North East recently...

Moron
  • Options
  • Options
    Luke, I might take you more seriously if you weren't saying that from fucking Stoke....

I haven’t been to the North East or Stoke (unless Alton Towers counts) but as they say it's grim up north.
  • Options
    Durham is quite pleasant, and they have noticeably been spending money and improving the immediatearea over the past few years
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Durham is quite pleasant, and they have noticeably been spending money and improving the immediatearea over the past few years

I don't really think the north is grim..I don't really know it. Although I know people at Durham uni and they say it's pretty cool there.
  • Options
  • Options
    The North is lovely and I've only been living here since October :)
  • Options
    The North is lovely and I've only been living here since October :)

plenty of fishermen up here as well
  • Options
    That was a necessary comment
  • Options
    That was a necessary comment

im shocked at your candour,

im hoping that was a mistype, and my guilty feeling is actually justified
  • Options
    They do say that, and I think it's hilarious. I don't want to turn this into a North vs South slanging match, but although there are some quite nice places down South I don't think I could ever live there. Too many people, too much rudeness, too expensive, too much stress. Not worth it. Besides which, you haven't got the scenery down there.
    I think you're confusing "South" with "London". The south of England includes a lot of beautiful coastline and countryside. Apart from the cost of living, there isn't that much difference these days. It's not really justified to say that one place is "friendlier" or less "stressful" or "rude". Those are just the differences between a small town and a city, and is a nationwide phenomenon. And there's sufficient movement of people that no one place has an isolated character that is unique to the area.
  • Options
  • Options
    Having spent 5 years in the north east, it's become clear to me that the difference is less North/South and more sociological. There are towns in the north east of England which are undesirable and have remained so, and there are some that are expensive, crowded and all the rest. Maybe it's a class issue, who knows.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Having spent 5 years in the north east, it's become clear to me that the difference is less North/South and more sociological. There are towns in the north east of England which are undesirable and have remained so, and there are some that are expensive, crowded and all the rest. Maybe it's a class issue, who knows.

Probably. The snobs still view the north as full of "working class" type people, and see themselves as somehow "middle class".

Yet as far as I can tell, people i've met and know up north are as nice as my freinds here. And here there are plenty of fucking tossers.

Its all stupid socialogical bullshit. They say "its grim up north". They say Eastern Europe is a dump. I've been to both places, both are not true.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

It's going on bogus asylum seekers and homosexual propaganda, Luke.

You know this.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's going on bogus asylum seekers and homosexual propaganda, Luke.

You know this.
    :lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    Government spending as a % of GDP in the North East is 58.1% and 66.2% in Northern Ireland. You don’t think that’s ridiculously high? NI admittedly has some exceptional circumstances but anything over 50% is still unacceptable.

Take it you haven't been in NI recently?