Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

nhs waiting lists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was reading a post on here the other day and since then its sort of stuck in the back of my mind and has been bothering me...

i'm currently on an nhs waiting list to recieve some treatment. i've been waiting on the list for a few years already, which has been a very long time. i've found out that north and south staffordshire come under different nhs trusts. so, if i move house (because i'm in student accomodation atm) to a different part of the county which i've already got sorted as i'm going to do - does that mean i am going to loose my right to treatment? and have to go on a new waiting list for the same thing in a new area? or would they accomodate the fact that i've been waiting so long already and allow me treatment regardless of where i live?

Comments

• Options
    You'd probably be best off sending a PM to Man of Kent about that.
  • Options
    Or ask the person that put you on the waiting list!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You'd probably be best off sending a PM to Man of Kent about that.
    It's a fair suggestion but Scary Monster is right - you should speak to somebody at the PCT or hospital, whoever is responsible for the waiting list. I can't see why you'd be forced off one waiting list if you were willing to travel to the old area for the appointment. Obviously if it's another part of the country, it's a different matter but in the same town you'll probably find that the two PCTs have similar arrangements with the local NHS hospital.
  • Options
    yeah. i will try and contact someone about this on monday.
    though i was just wondering if anyone had had any experiences re: a similar situation. :)
  • Options
    Waiting list for a few years? Blahdy Ell!

I was scheduled for routine surgery (to excise a lipoma) in the september after my graduation. I kept the appointment, travelled to my uni city, had the surgery and went home. I then had to go back 10 days later for a check-up. THey tried to get me to go back for the pathology results of the excision but I asked them to send the results to either me or my GP.

Blah blah, as if this expert patient plan will ever kick in... Be firm with the Trust.
  • Options
    I guess you were talking about my thread from a couple of days ago. I guess you should talk to your GP about the situation.
  • Options
    Waiting list for a few years? Blahdy Ell!
    :yes: - YEARS
    ETS: if i had to wait as long again it would probably kill me. its not like i've been waiting years and its not serious. staffordshire, i'm guessing probably has the worst health service in the whole damn country. ~ obviously i'm pissed off.
  • Options
    If you have been waiting years then you should make an official complaint.

I suspect that there has been a cock up somewhere along the line and doing this will make them go through your file and sort it out.
  • Options
    how would i go about making a complaint?

i spoke to my GP about it, months back, and he tried to get me moved up the list, but nothing happened.
  • Options
    What are you waiting for?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What are you waiting for?
    i'd kind of prefer not to say if thats okay...
  • Options
    I only ask so I could suggest who you'd need to speak to.

Have you phoned up the GP surgery or hospital today to ask? It doesn't need to be a complaint - an assertive enquiry would probably yield better results.
  • Options
    yep. and am still waiting for them to phone me back.
  • Options
    Jolly good.
  • Options
    If its a hospital list then you would complain to the hospital, either the complaints manager or Patient Liason service, its usually under one of those guises. Next time you speak to someone on the phone you could ask, 'if I wanted to make a complaint about the time this is taking who would I get in touch with?' or something like that.

There are times when the healthcare professionals wish their patients would make complaints to give the system a kick up the backside, but obviously they can't encourage you to do so.
  • Options
    ... so... apparantly if i move, i loose my right to treatment. because north and south staffordshire are under different hospitals. so now i feel completly f*cked because what am i supposed to do now: loose my accomodation (where i am moving to and the money so far paid)? or loose my right to treatment? - if i moved apparantly i'd have to go onto a new waiting list at a different hospital, and start all over again. although the woman on the phone did say that i should expect to get treatment at the end of this year or beginning of next... i feel so FLUSTRATED!

:banghead: :(
  • Options
    What if you keep the same GP?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What if you keep the same GP?
    i'm guessing that would have to change to?!!
    i don't know. i didn't ask.
  • Options
    Can you keep the old address for hospital purposes and ask the new tenants to forward the mail? Then at the first appointment just give them your new address.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Can you keep the old address for hospital purposes and ask the new tenants to forward the mail? Then at the first appointment just give them your new address.
    :chin: ... you mean i should lie.
    is there any way they could find out?!
  • Options
    It might be worth making an appointment with you GP to talk this one through, seee if they can help at all.

If your a student on the border of two trusts it must happen fairly often.

It could always work to your advantage, maybe worth checking which trust is likely to see you sooner, the new one may have a shorter waiting list.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    :chin: ... you mean i should lie.
    is there any way they could find out?!
    How is it lying? You've been waiting long enough.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How is it lying?
    its not telling the whole truth though is it.
    Kentish wrote:
    You've been waiting long enough.
    true.

:chin: i suppose your idea of telling them that, is probably the only way around it. thanks Kentish 'cos i wouldn't have thought of that on my own.
  • Options
    Are you moving to or from Stafford? If you're wanting to stay in Stafford then you're welcome to use my address?
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    ... so... apparantly if i move, i loose my right to treatment. because north and south staffordshire are under different hospitals. so now i feel completly f*cked because what am i supposed to do now: loose my accomodation (where i am moving to and the money so far paid)? or loose my right to treatment? - if i moved apparantly i'd have to go onto a new waiting list at a different hospital, and start all over again. although the woman on the phone did say that i should expect to get treatment at the end of this year or beginning of next... i feel so FLUSTRATED!

So it's not just me then!

Also, if you lie about your address it could cause problems with accessing a GP as you wouldn't want to go back every time you got sick/ needed a GP and they would not come out for a home visit in an emergency. I know you can do temporary resisdent access to a GP but they would not have your notes and they will only do a limited range of services (no referals for example).
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    So it's not just me then!

Also, if you lie about your address it could cause problems with accessing a GP as you wouldn't want to go back every time you got sick/ needed a GP and they would not come out for a home visit in an emergency. I know you can do temporary resisdent access to a GP but they would not have your notes and they will only do a limited range of services (no referals for example).

yeah. i guess you are right.
    i don't think its right though how its a choice of sacrificing healthcare or having to find somewhere else to live - it makes the NATIONAL health service a joke!
    Are you moving to or from Stafford? If you're wanting to stay in Stafford then you're welcome to use my address?
    i'm supposed to be moving to stafford.
    ..... thats a really nice idea though. :razz:
  • Options
    otter wrote:

If you move hospitals then yes, you would start waiting again.

There is no reason why you should not stay with your existing one because your new PCT would have to honour the cost of treatment.

I have several problems with what you have been told and how long you have been waiting etc. As this sort of thing is my bread and butter I am more than happy to go through this in detail with you if you'd like to PM me.

Personally from what you've said so far, I think that you have some serious complaints/legal issues which you may want to address...
  • Options
    thanks for your advice Man of Kent.
    have pm'd you. :)