Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice about my future with my girlfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm new to this and found the site whilst looking for advice.

Anyway here's my problem,

I have been going out with a girl for 18 months and we have been through so much, it is the first long term relationship for either of us. We are both 17. For the last couple of months I have been feeling less and less towards her, I used to be completely head over heels for her but I just dont feel the same anymore. Also I dont want to end up trapped with her, I want to experience things with other people. Part of me says that she is such a great person and that I will never find somebody better but the other side of me says that if I dont do something I will never find out. I thought I would just persevere and hope that my feelings returned, but im just loving her less and less, and I dont want to end up hating her. Something somebody said to me made my mind up and I was going to finish it but, I am meant to be going to Manchester with her in a week or two (we are in Edinburgh) and I can't finish with her before that can I? Or is it unfair to go with her when I am feeling like this?

Please share your advice. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    My thoughts are that you should follow your heart. And if your heart is no longer in this relationship, then you shouldn't be either!

It's right what you said - if you don't think it will work, and you are having these doubts all the time - the relationship will become strained. That wouldn't be good for you or her.

You're still very young, there is no rush to find love. Love normally tends to find you anyway, not the other way round ;)

Of course, you still may be able to make it work. I think you should try your hardest for the next two weeks or so, including the trip. Then after that period, think about whether or not it's going to work.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    thanks for your help, I think that sounds about right, I care for her a lot and I don't want to hurt her but I know that staying with her when I feel this way will end up hurting her more
  • Options
    If you are saying you dont want to end up trapped with her, and you dont think you can experience things with other people while still with her, then i think its probly best to cut your losses, though how you do it is purely up to you, because i dont really know either of you.
  • Options
    thanks for your help, I think that sounds about right, I care for her a lot and I don't want to hurt her but I know that staying with her when I feel this way will end up hurting her more
    You're welcome, let us know how it goes? Hope you get it sorted.