Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UK PC Hardware Wholesale?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone advise me where to look for some decent hardware wholsalers?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Their retail though.
  • Options
    Their retail though.

My bad. But I think unless you're looking at a few million pounds worth of kit, online retail may be ok.

Are you opening a business?
  • Options
    I think CCL will do trade prices.

they also have this cool stackable external hard drive that looks like a lego brick -

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6227&category_id=114&manufacturer_id=206
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Mist wrote:
    I think CCL will do trade prices.

they also have this cool stackable external hard drive that looks like a lego brick -

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6227&category_id=114&manufacturer_id=206

Ooh, I likes that!
  • Options
    IngramMicro - www.ingrammicro.com

KMS Components - Dunno website

Northamber - www.northamber.com

They are the main ones we use at work.
  • Options
    I doubt there's much of a price difference between wholesale and retail when shopping online, unless like others have said you'e buying in huge quantities.

Have a look at

www.redtore.com

and their site designed for businesses

www.bluestore.com and see there's not much difference in prices.
  • Options
    Depends on what you're after, really. I only bother with retail these days - wholesale isn't worth it IMHO unless you're able to give repeat orders over a certain value.

http://www.entaonline.co.uk/index.php

Best bet is to find someone local who you get on with. Tell them what you're looking for and see if they can accomodate your needs - you're best off paying 5% extra and dealing with small local fish than facing the hassle of dealing with the bigger companies.
  • Options
    I was gonna offer custom built rigs as part of one of my new business ventures but buying retial parts aint gonna make you any money.
  • Options
    I was gonna offer custom built rigs as part of one of my new business ventures but buying retial parts aint gonna make you any money.

Well the company I work for makes money off them! So It must be worth it... try the ones I posted!
    Also this is coming from a guy with 30 odd straws platted in my hair! :lol:

Im going to bed!
  • Options
    These days its difficult to make money on custom builds. Dell can undercut you on cheap crappy systems, the kind most people want.

The one guy that I know who owns a small local shop says he earns almost all of his income from support/repair contracts with small/medium business.

If this is a small venture, like selling pcs from your bedroom to friends and family, make sure you include a recovery dvd and make it clear that software it not covered by warrenty. Otherwise most of your time will be spent on ridding viruses and other crap.

One last thing, try and buy the same kit as often as you can for your builds, that way returns will be quicker and easier
  • Options
    I thought about offering a repair/upgrade service but that means non local people would have to send their PC, I know thats not something I would want to do.
  • Options

You're only going to get any kind of money off from retail if you're buying in quantity. There is money to be made - but not on hardware these days. All the money is made on labour charges.
    I thought about offering a repair/upgrade service but that means non local people would have to send their PC, I know thats not something I would want to do.

Find yourself a niche - the market is flooded with people who'll sell you a new PC, or repair the one you've got.