Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

when you meet new people...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you have a problem understanding what they are saying?

I have found that when I meet people for the first time, or even second or third, I dont understand what they are saying. I have to read their lips and concentrate really hard to understand them. I can hear the words, they just dont make any sense. But then once I have got used to their way fo talking I find it easier to know what they are saying. Its really wierd. I don't have a hearing problem or anything.

What can it be?

Comments

• Options
    I'm find that odd. I'm not like that but I'm very shy when it comes to meeting new people.
  • Options
    talia wrote:

I have found that when I meet people for the first time, or even second or third, I dont understand what they are saying. I have to read their lips and concentrate really hard to understand them. I can hear the words, they just dont make any sense. But then once I have got used to their way fo talking I find it easier to know what they are saying. Its really wierd. I don't have a hearing problem or anything.

What can it be?

dosnt happen to me lol
  • Options
    I have absolutely no problem understanding anyone i have even met just a few times. Even on the phone is fine. Its just a bit kooky.
  • Options
    Maybe you get subconcioously nervous you talk to yourself too loudly so you cannot hear others.
  • Options
    Then you'll be fucked if you ever talk to your average northern irish person. :p
  • Options
    I get that too I get sick of saying "sorry could you say that again" more then 3 times grrr.
  • Options
    I get that sometimes, especially if their accent is quite a bit different to mine.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    I get that sometimes, especially if their accent is quite a bit different to mine.
    I don't think that's what she means... She said she can hear the words.

My reply: No, I don't get that. I might ask someone to phrase something differently if I didn't get it, but that could be anyone I know.
  • Options
    Not sure exactly what you mean, but a couple of times I've been given instructions on what to do by someone, and it just seemed to go in one end and out the other.

Its not like I can't hear what they are saying, its more like my mind just switches off, and I cant understand it. Almost like they're speaking too fast for my mind to understand.
  • Options
    only if theyve got a really strong accent that im not used to.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Depends on their accent.

However, I am slightly deaf so I am like that anyway.
  • Options
    i do that quite a lot with everyone.

it's like it can hear them perfectly, and i can even make out words, but i don't know what they are trying to say as a whole, or i did understand, but forgot it instantly. i think it's a concentration thing, and mine's crapola at the moment :(
  • Options
    nope nothing to do with the accent. I mean just last night I was translating some very strong scottish accent off the tele, cos noone could understand it. And my family comes from wigan, and i understand all of them lot.

Its just when I meet some one I havent met before. I hear the words, its just like i dont understand what they are saying and cant figure it out. Its nothing to do with their accent or anything. But it goes away after anything from 10 minutes to 4 hours. Its just wierd.
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    Its just wierd.

Yes that is a bit fucked up!
  • Options
    talia wrote:

What can it be?

You are weird!!
    :crazyeyes
    ;)