Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Constipation problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone suffer. like I do, from occasional bad doses of constipation? Its not there all the time and I can go several weeks, even months, but then suddenly it returns with a vengeance and I suffer for about 3-4 days with it. Its really painful and uncomfortable. I've taken the usual stuff and looked at my diet but it seems whatever I try doesn't really cure it. Its been like this now for just over a year.

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    Had terrible constipation last night. But had a hot flush and extremely dehydrated too.

Woke up this morning and practically pood myself :(

I get the same though, my tummy is always poorly. For me I reckon it's related to stress - I get stressed too much!
  • Options
    Eat boring cereal for breakfast like Cornflakes, Branflake, shredded wheat type stuff.
  • Options
    I get the same though, my tummy is always poorly. For me I reckon it's related to stress - I get stressed too much!
    Its interesting you mention stress because I've long thought that it was the cause as far as I'm concerned as well. When I'm stressed I tend to gorge on comfort food like chocolate and chips which doesn't help.
  • Options
    mebbe its cos you're full of shit
  • Options
    eat breakfast.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    eat breakfast.
    I do. Recently I started to eat porridge in the morning and it seems to help.
  • Options
    I suggest a manual dig-out!
  • Options
    I suggest a manual dig-out!

:lol::lol: :thumb:

But after make sure to clean your nails tho, cos otherwise you will get smelly fingers...
  • Options
    or buy yourself a new orifice :yes:
  • Options
    or buy yourself a new orifice :yes:

:razz:

I'm guessing you're a non-smoker Tugger, otherwise a coffee and the first fag of the day would have set you right ;)

I'd recommend trying Bran Flakes (don't take too much bran though, as it can make you constipated if you do!) or muesli for breakfast, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, wheaten bread, a lot of fruit and veg like apples, pears, plums etc - with the skins on where possible. Little diet changes will make a huge difference to your bowel movements, honestly.

If you get desperate and don't want to take the step of being prescribed a laxative then Prune juice works as a natural, mild laxative, but it's not recommended for everyday use - maybe every second day.
  • Options
    drinking lots of orange juce is ment to be good for constipation
  • Options
    Thanks briggi & melanie for your tips, I'll try them. Someone said you could get piles if you suffer regularly from constipation, is it true?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    mebbe its cos you're full of shit
    :lol:
  • Options
    Avoiding constipation is simple... Eat a balanced diet. Five fruit n veg portions a day, brown bread instead of white, brown pasta and rice, some pulses, maybe some nuts...

Why don't you gorge yourself on cereal bars instead? Or dried fruit? I have no idea if you're big or anything, but they're healthier and won't show so much on your waistline (apart from flapjacks).

I'm vegetarian so... -ahem- I really have no issues with being regular.
  • Options
    Avoiding constipation is simple... Eat a balanced diet. Five fruit n veg portions a day, brown bread instead of white, brown pasta and rice, some pulses, maybe some nuts...

Why don't you gorge yourself on cereal bars instead? Or dried fruit? I have no idea if you're big or anything, but they're healthier and won't show so much on your waistline (apart from flapjacks).

I'm vegetarian so... -ahem- I really have no issues with being regular.
    Yea I'm a bit overweight I guess its my own fault, I'm too fond of chocolate & fast food. From your last comment, are you saying veggies don't have this problem?
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Yea I'm a bit overweight I guess its my own fault, I'm too fond of chocolate & fast food. From your last comment, are you saying veggies don't have this problem?
    Well Ok, I mean if the vegetarians eat properly, not just fast food shite. Meat can make you constipated.... The more fruit and veg and brown stuff you have the better your bowels are... A crap diet can also contribute to bowel cancer.

But being constipated ain't healthy really. If you want it to end change your diet, trust me you'll feel a million times better and have more energy.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Someone said you could get piles if you suffer regularly from constipation, is it true?
    Yes this is true.
  • Options
    If memory serves me correct, lots of high fibre foods should help you get rid of it. Like branflakes and the like.
  • Options
    you should take a shit for every meal you eat to ensure your body is breaking down food correctly. If your not eating fruit or veg on the daily then your body won't be ab;e to break down what you are eating hence the constipation problem. More what and more green vegatables will cure you. Spianch will work within the hour and grapes will also help quickly. I should know i shit about 4-6 times a day
  • Options
    Blairx0 wrote:
    you should take a shit for every meal you eat to ensure your body is breaking down food correctly. If your not eating fruit or veg on the daily then your body won't be ab;e to break down what you are eating hence the constipation problem. More what and more green vegatables will cure you. Spianch will work within the hour and grapes will also help quickly. I should know i shit about 4-6 times a day
    My I bet you're a really romantic person.

Marry me? :flirt:
  • Options
    Blairx0 wrote:
    you should take a shit for every meal you eat to ensure your body is breaking down food correctly.

Rubbish. I would be very worried if I had a bowel movement for every meal I ate- it would indicate a problem, possibly with the large intestines and malabsorbtion. Each person's bowel habits are peculiar to them, the 'normal' habit is what's normal for the individual...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Rubbish. I would be very worried if I had a bowel movement for every meal I ate- it would indicate a problem, possibly with the large intestines and malabsorbtion. Each person's bowel habits are peculiar to them, the 'normal' habit is what's normal for the individual...

That is just what they say. If your body isnt filtering out the toxins you take in each meal ( which is what shit is) where are they going? I would much rather have them out of my body rather than in my system
  • Options
    I've always been told as long as its consistant. Some people poo 3 times a day, some people poo once a day, some every other day. If you poo once a day and go to 3 times a day, something could be wrong, as well as if you go twice a day down to every other day or less. Its when your not normal for you is when you should have it checked out.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've always been told as long as its consistant. Some people poo 3 times a day, some people poo once a day, some every other day. If you poo once a day and go to 3 times a day, something could be wrong, as well as if you go twice a day down to every other day or less. Its when your not normal for you is when you should have it checked out.
    Exactly right. Between 3 per day and 3 per week is considered 'normal' and bowel habits vary considerably between people.
  • Options
    I average about 1 shit every 2/3 days except when I'm constipated when I can go to 4/5 days without a good turnout and I feel terrible. I wonder if its got anything to do with the medication I take?
  • Options
    Read the packet and the insert, it should tell you the side effects.
  • Options
    Read the packet and the insert, it should tell you the side effects.

Always amusing when the list of side effects are a mile long and include both constipation and diarrhea...
  • Options
    Well yeah, thats my usual stance on these things, but if you think it might be a side effect then its worth checking the packet.

Weight loss and weight gain are another good pair that feature quite frequently.