Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you like your job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I loved my job (systems manager) - and the majority of the people I worked for. I pretty much considered everyone in the company my friend. Then one Friday morning the MD called me in the office. By lunchtime I was gone! I was redundant! People kept in touch for a while but it wasn't too long before the contact faded away. Natural I guess, but sad. By the way, that was 108 applications ago and I`m still searching!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Doug wrote:
    I loved my job (systems manager) - and the majority of the people I worked for. I pretty much considered everyone in the company my friend. Then one Friday morning the MD called me in the office. By lunchtime I was gone! I was redundant! People kept in touch for a while but it wasn't too long before the contact faded away. Natural I guess, but sad. By the way, that was 108 applications ago and I`m still searching!
    108? What a bitch. Mind you, System management and stuff is apparantely hard to get into from what I've heard. Thought about a change of career?!

(On a little side note, watch for the dates on threads, especially if they are dead like this one)
  • Options
    I despise my job.

No I lie. I despise the girl i work with. Sinc eit's only me and her on the site, the minute she goes and gets replaced, I'm sure I could warm up to the job again.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    No.

And I've only been there two weeks :|

I'm hoping it'll get better when I lose my 'new girl' status, although I get on pretty well with all the people I work with. Except my manager, I won't go there.

But yes...the money is ok I guess, and it's all experience....:rolleyes:

Haha, nearly three years later and I'm still there, 'cept now I'm a full-time bod and not a student bum.

Go team Laura!
  • Options
    My job is ok... I work with well alright people. It can be well stressful sometimes though!
    My last job was the best job I ever had, but I wasnt exactly going to go anywhere doing it. I used to manage a record shop... it was wicked, got paid to spend the day DJing, watching DVD's when there were no customers in. Used to have alot of regulars come in who used to hang around for a while. Got to meet alot of big name producers, DJ's, MC's etc... I loved it!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Gonna split this thread so it's Doug's very own brand new one :)
  • Options
    I want to say I hate my job, so boring. Not enough pay, not enough vacation. I dread it every day and nearly pee myself with excitement every friday at 5pm with the suicideal/homicideal thoughts on monday at 8am... or sunday night if we're lucky. I absoutly despise the person working next to me. He sits there all day talking in bevis and butthead voices and can't even resize an excel sheet to fit to print. Hes such a moron. And annoying as hell. I've never in my life met anybody more annoying. Not even a screaching crying child... and we know how much I hate those.

Yet I guess I can't complain as its a full time job with benefits and really, sitting on a computer playing for nearly the 8 hours a day isn't so bad. Plus everybody I work with (minus said annoying retard) is absoutly wonderful. I love the people I work with. Alot of the people who work "in the back" are foreigh, polish and middle eastern and they are all just so cute, I love the way they talk and not an unfriendly person around.
  • Options
    i currently hate my job, used to love it, now its just too stressful.

i love the people i work with tho, we have a real laugh, only thing that keeps me here really.
  • Options
    I work in stock control for Tesco and it is ok, but it's pretty stressfull sometimes especially with the store manager on your back during meetings and giving you a rollocking when your depratments losing money and what not, but it will do for the time being untill i can afford to buy a car and get another job, i also like the fact i work mon-fri and get the weekends off which is a bit jammy for a supermarket, and i don't have to interact with customers really either, woohoo! :p
  • Options
    NO
  • Options
    I quite like my job, except the pay is shit.

C'est la vie. I like being busy- and my office is very busy- I like dealing with people, and the people in the office are canny. Oh, and until last month my firm were in the top 100 firms to work for in the country.
  • Options
    my job is ok because the people i'm working with are pretty good. If it wasn't for that it'd probably be fairly naff.
  • Options
    I kinda like my job, although it's a bit repetitive. I like some people, but I hate my manager. He makes my life so bloody difficult sometimes, grr.

Anyway, I start a new job on 5th June and hopefully it'll be the job of my dreams on a dreamy wage too!
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    my job is ok because the people i'm working with are pretty good. If it wasn't for that it'd probably be fairly naff.

:yes:

this for me too. i love the people i work with, and i love the atmosphere and i don't mind going to work on a morning.

however, i'm doing about 5 peoples jobs, and don't have time to do any of them as well as i'd like, and the pay is a bit pants too, with no hope of promotion (teeny company). so i think it's time to move on.

i've got a couple of interviews coming up, so i'll cross my fingers and whatnot.
  • Options
    i dont like my job but its just some extra money to support me while at uni
  • Options
    I love my job, although my placement at the moment is a bit repetitive but I'm only there for 12 weeks so its good. The jobs got lots of prospects and fab training. The people I work with on the graduate scheme are fab and so are people in the services, and because I move around I meet loads of people.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    108? What a bitch. Mind you, System management and stuff is apparantely hard to get into from what I've heard. Thought about a change of career?!

(On a little side note, watch for the dates on threads, especially if they are dead like this one)
    Yup 108 and climbing. When I started out in I.T. it was natural to specialize in one area (a bit like doctors do), these days they look for multi-skilled people with paperwork to match. Such is life. Yes, I am looking at changing track, but I have been in I.T. for around 14 years so its a stiff climb and age isn't in my favour! I am getting myself retrained so that if I don't find anything else I can teach Skills For Life classes. All is not lost - I get to walk the dog in the sunshine when everyone else is in the office! lol!

Thanks for the tip re dates.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I hate my job at the moment. The bloke I work for is a cunt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    my job's pretty alright when i'm not butchering my hands up, the people are safe and i got my friend a job at the company so it's pretty sweet........shame the pay's a bit naff and apparently the company are a bit tight with payrises, might have to use a little persuasion i.e. get another job lined up and see how badly they want me, it's only fair to get paid what you're worth after all......
  • Options
    I went into my job expecting to dislike it. But the people are great, the work is fairly varied and there's always the possibility that something rare and nasty will turn up to look at and keep us entertained. I think I'll just use it as an experience step before moving on as the promotion prospects are poor - although a free MSc. is certainly a factor in staying on longer.
  • Options
    Personally, I work in a shop, and I like my job for what it is. Last year, I wasn't so keen. I'm liking it more this time, mainly because I've got a bigger range of duties and therefore, have more to do with the time. Yeah, it's not the greatest job, but for what it is, I'm happy with it.
  • Options
    I like my job a lot more now then I did say six months ago. Then I had just taken over running three companies accounts on my own, despite working their for six months before that, everything was in a bit of a mess, and there had been a lot of office politics bollocks as well.

I now love my job, I'm the boss, I like the work even if it isnt that varied (accounts never is) and I have to get everything done but the way I like it!
  • Options
    I work in my Student Union bar/nightclub and I love it :D

I love the people I work with, I love the people that come in, I love the music played and generally, I love bar work.
  • Options
    I love my job. I love the people, the job itself, the pay, everything.