Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

1 man family

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4986804.stm

i dont thik its right, for when either sex does this.... it projects kids as a possesion to aquire, more than part of life

Comments

• Options
    It's unstoppable now. Intentionally single parents, single sex couples, designer babies, saviour siblings - it's all coming whether we like it or not. The only debate is whether it should be available on the NHS.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's unstoppable now. Intentionally single parents, single sex couples, designer babies, saviour siblings - it's all coming whether we like it or not. The only debate is whether it should be available on the NHS.

Agreed. I don't think this is right, tbh. What will the man say to his child when they ask where/who their mother is?
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be criticising the fact that a man has done this, but it's not, it's criticising both men and women. So that's ok.
  • Options
    Dont see the big deal or why its in the news. Single parents bring up kids all the time.
  • Options
    I think it's more about where he 'got' them from - an egg donor and a surrogate mother, rather than the fact that he's single.
  • Options
    Dont see the big deal or why its in the news.
    Really?

The perennial question: do children need both a father and a mother? Or at least, should that be the ideal upbringing for a child?
  • Options
    Soon it will be like Gattaca where babies are designed to be a specific way, specific colour skin, colour eyes, colour hair, height, weight, personality, etc.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Really?

The perennial question: do children need both a father and a mother? Or at least, should that be the ideal upbringing for a child?

It's not ideal, but I don't really see the problem with being raised with one parent. (I live with both, btw)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It's ideal, but I don't really see the problem with eing raised with one parent. (I live with both, btw)
    What makes it 'ideal' then?
  • Options
    I'm surprised so many people are against this.

I have no problem at all with any of it.

Well actually it un-nerves me a bit that the woman was paid to carry the children, but as far as I am aware its common practice in these cases.
  • Options
    Is it still ideal today? (Being raised by both parents)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What makes it 'ideal' then?

Sorry, I missed out the word 'not'...
  • Options
    Is it still ideal today? (Being raised by both parents)

I think its obviously preferred that children will have the love and support of both parents but it depends on the situation. Its not ideal if they at each others throats all the time for example.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Sorry, I missed out the word 'not'...
    Same question to number two. What makes this not ideal, or what makes two parents 'ideal'?
  • Options
    I think its obviously preferred that children will have the love and support of both parents but it depends on the situation. Its not ideal if they at each others throats all the time for example.
    That's as may be, but in this case there was never any intention to have two parents. A rich man paid a stranger to donate eggs, which were then fertilised in a lab and inserted into another stranger who carried the babies to term for money. Not an everyday occurrence and quite newsworthy I'd say.
  • Options
    i was bought up by my mum and i'm a lovechild from her and the charming man who helped her through her divorce

she didn't actively seek to have me, it happened and she dealt with it - really well i must add :)

activeley seeking a child THAT much as the guy done always scares me as it makes the child appear a commodity more than anything

it's odd of me to say but i dont think the people who actively seek kids are the best parents, but the parents slung into it through accident or hoping are - not those who are willing to use every method known to doctors just to concieve - if you want take a good part in raising a child, adopt or foster, even if its just a baby for a for a few years (fostering) and youll do more than wonders for the child. not just satisfy the urge to have a kid of your 'own'

it makes me think of the lesbian deaf couple who PURPOSELY had a deaf child through genetic screening....
    or the couple who had a kid to be the same blood and tissue type as its brother who needs a bone marrow transplant, im not even sure they wanted another kid, they definetly didn't come across as wanting that, but wanting specific tissue type more than another kid :banghead:

my plan in life personally is to not concieve myself but maybe be a foster parent or adopt a kid when im older and more responsible :thumb:

things like IVF are special and powerful abilities, but it seems to me only those who want kids for the wrong reasons are using it