Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

another reason why id cards are so great....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article447792.ece
incomplete story as its a week old
An internal investigation at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has found that civil servants are colluding with organised criminals to steal personal identities on "an industrial scale".

Ministers have been privately warned that the investigation will show that hundreds of thousands of stolen personal details have been ripped off from official databases, often with inside help. Key personal details such as national insurance numbers can be used to commit benefit fraud, set up false bank accounts and obtain official documents such as passports

(i have newspaper with it lying around if i get bored ill type it up)

Comments

• Options
    I really don't see what is all the fuss with having an ID card, I have been having one since I'm 5yo... never had any passport tho...
  • Options
    Wow, they'll be able to steal even more details off people.
  • Options
    I really don't see what is all the fuss with having an ID card, I have been having one since I'm 5yo... never had any passport tho...

The problems lie within the database, not the card itself. Although I don't want either.

If they manage to roll out this database without any technical fuckups (haha), then I won't trust them to keep it secure (or in light of this artical, use it properly if they do keep it secure).

And it's going to cost a fortune, with negligible benefit to the people (although the government will have a nice stash of data for their uses, whatever they may be).
  • Options

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with having an ID card.You can have 100 and I won`t bat an eyelid.

The problem starts if you don`t want to have one. I still won`t bat an eyelid but there are some who would be prepared to put a gun to your head to "persuade" you that it might be unhealthy if you don`t.
  • Options
    and the fact would you trust the civil service with your information, esepcially when it will become even more valuble

my mate had his NI number stolen whilst he was jobless, he got 0 help whatsoever and once they sorted ti out, it happened again with exactly the same thief
  • Options
    how difficult is it to keep the right man locked up ...then send him home?
    they can't even do that.
    when did they ever cost anything correctly ...ever ...example please?
    why have 15,000 passports gone missing in the last six months from the passport delivery system?
    come on ...none of our leaders actualy have any qualifications to lead ...they couldn't organise the proverbial piss up ...

i encourage all young people to avoid the ballot box.
    the reason i won't vote anymore is because ...every vote they ever gave me ...seems to have been a broken one ...and you never get your money back.
  • Options
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article447792.ece
    incomplete story as its a week old

(i have newspaper with it lying around if i get bored ill type it up)

Woooh! I'm sure glad these cards are going to create even more crime!

And people wonder why I'm prepared to leave this place for a hellhole like Jakarta, on minimal pay no less...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't see what the problem is either. It's not like the card has any information on it that the government wouldn't have anyway (as far as I know, that is).
    The only problem would be if you were required to show that card to any government officials that ask to see it. If you can choose to show it or choose not to it should be fine.
  • Options
    I don't see what the problem is either. It's not like the card has any information on it that the government wouldn't have anyway (as far as I know, that is).
    The only problem would be if you were required to show that card to any government officials that ask to see it. If you can choose to show it or choose not to it should be fine.
    Would you not have a problem if it was going to cost you over £100 and not actually do anything useful? Seriously, no-one's told me anything useful that they will be used for yet.
  • Options
    Would you not have a problem if it was going to cost you over £100 and not actually do anything useful? Seriously, no-one's told me anything useful that they will be used for yet.
    Yes, with the cost I'd have a problem.
    As for what they're useful for, whenever I have to prove my identity/age/whatever to someone, I show them my card. Why would I need to go to some non-government company to get such a card, and risk it not being accepted at some places (as they've told me sometimes happens) when I could simply have one that comes directly from the government and that anyone would be an idiot to not accept?
  • Options
    ask to see it. If you can choose to show it or choose not to it should be fine.
    and even more pointless.
  • Options
    Yes, with the cost I'd have a problem.
    As for what they're useful for, whenever I have to prove my identity/age/whatever to someone, I show them my card. Why would I need to go to some non-government company to get such a card, and risk it not being accepted at some places (as they've told me sometimes happens) when I could simply have one that comes directly from the government and that anyone would be an idiot to not accept?

get a provisional drivers license, cheaper and alway works :)
  • Options
    get a provisional drivers license, cheaper and alway works :)
    Suppose you don't want to drive, or can't for some reason.
  • Options
    provisional licenses last for 50 years and you don't need to know how to drive :)

it just allows you to get lessons and go out driving with a qualified person.

Not sure if they have those in greece though?
  • Options
    No, the laws about driving are different.
    But why use something that was made for another reason when you can have something made specifically for what you want it?
    Pricing (which I did say was absurd, in your case) aside.
  • Options
    hmm well, the only reason that would come into it is pricing.

ETA: I'm really not sure what kind of info they store on these cards though.. if it's just name/age etc i have no complaints (price aside again ;p)
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    provisional licenses last for 50 years and you don't need to know how to drive :)

I thought that there was a two year limit? Either pass a bike/car test, or lose it...?
  • Options
    I thought that there was a two year limit? Either pass a bike/car test, or lose it...?

been using mine for years

even if out of date, most places who use it for age purposes dont care