Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

headphone hearing damage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi I used to listen to headphones at max volume for about one hour almost every day for about a year. I stopped now, but I'm scared. I don't notice any change in my hearing but could it get worse in the future?

Can I get some posts on your experiences with headphones? :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    Eh! Speak up a bit;)

Sometimes after I listen for a couple of hours through headphones I get a bit deaf for a while like I find myself having to turn the tv up & I get that underwater feeling when your ears need to pop.
  • Options
    Apparently, wearing headphones for just half an hour increases the bacteria in your ears by tenfold :yuck:

Wikipedia has some interesting info about earphones; Here

Ilora x
  • Options
    I damaged my ears at a gig :(

i would imagine that its possible to do damage with headphones. Just dont play the music as loud?!
  • Options
    oh really. i'm sorry to hear that. hey i just made an unintentional joke. haha i'm so funny.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised, apparently there have been major concerns about the current ipod generation, everyone listens to music all the time, and they tend to listen too loud.
  • Options
    According to our article on tinnitus (or ringing in the ears):

"Exposure to loud music or other noise is perhaps the most common cause of tinnitus"

Still, if you haven't experienced any problems yet, you should be ok. Just make sure you turn the volums down from now on!

The British tinnitus Association may also be worth checking out for more info.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    According to our article on tinnitus (or ringing in the ears):

"Exposure to loud music or other noise is perhaps the most common cause of tinnitus"

Still, if you haven't experienced any problems yet, you should be ok. Just make sure you turn the volums down from now on!

The British tinnitus Association may also be worth checking out for more info.

nice. thanks for the info!
  • Options
    sometimes it cant start off as very un-noticeable, and get owrse

im just dreading i'll get ringing in my ears and/or lack of hearing due to working in the club i work in, loud music all the time
  • Options
    Apparently, wearing headphones for just half an hour increases the bacteria in your ears by tenfold :yuck:

Wikipedia has some interesting info about earphones; Here

Ilora x

im in the shit then! :nervous:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    sometimes it cant start off as very un-noticeable, and get owrse

im just dreading i'll get ringing in my ears and/or lack of hearing due to working in the club i work in, loud music all the time
    You ought to be wearing ear plugs if you intend to stay at Rixy's long term.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You ought to be wearing ear plugs if you intend to stay at Rixy's long term.

its no longer rixies, it was up until recently dh1, they have now changed the name to "loft"

and cafe rock is now studio, as of a while back mind

i cant really wear earplugs in one ear due to radio earpiece (supervisor), but that i guess sort of shields that ear, but wearing an ear plug in the other ear makes it bastardly difficult to hear customers :(
  • Options
    You should be able to hear customers because ear plugs just give you an artifical conductive hearing loss, so if they shout loud (as they have to in clubs anyway) you'll still hear. Worth a try, and certainly better than going deaf aged 30.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You should be able to hear customers because ear plugs just give you an artifical conductive hearing loss, so if they shout loud (as they have to in clubs anyway) you'll still hear. Worth a try, and certainly better than going deaf aged 30.

ive tried it and while it sort of works, when you get the customer who obviously cant shout as loud as they would need to even if i didnt have earplugs in, i take it out of the one ear i have it in, and usually forget to put it back in :(
  • Options
    If your ears are fine now, then they'll generally be fine in future so long as you look after them properly. Repeated use of high-volumes will damage them faster than you think - one day you can just wake up and have problems with them.

I've used headphones for years, and am a huge fan. I'm guilty of ramping it up too loud, from time to time. But modern music and equipment make damage far more likely - modern music is 'mastered' to the point that there tends to be little dynamics. Most music tends to hover around the same volume, and consequently people play it a little louder than they did when music had more 'range'.

Personally, I find that I tend to enjoy music more when it's not as loud as I can stand. I think you hear a lot more of it, and appreciate it more, when it's just set at a comfortable level. If you can't hear someone in the same room talk to you, then it is too loud IMO.

Headphones have changed a lot as well. Everyone has the in-ear types, which prevents air from reaching the insides of the ear. Lack of airflow generally makes them hotter and sweatier - which helps nasty fungus/virus stuff develop. And then you've got the mass-concensus that scraping earwax out with an earbud is a good thing...

It's very rare than I listen to music when I'm out and about, but I won't spend lots of money on decent headphones for the sole purpose that I'd rather force myself to listen to music in a controlled environment - I have a lovely pair of headphones here, and don't need to use them at high volumes to block out any background noise.

But I'm an old git, so I don't have to do what is trendy. And I've seen friends suffer from poor health, and would quite like to keep the bits of my body that I enjoy owning in a good condition for a long time to come. :)
  • Options
    Yeah it's an occupational hazard, but hearing damage preventable.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah it's an occupational hazard, but hearing damage preventable.

time to find a real job as my mum puts it, and cut down on the club hours