Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

any answers wba

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
black shit and stomach pains - has anyone had this or anything similar? or does anyone know what the problem is?

Comments

• Options
    you need to talk to your GP asap.

the dark colour can be a sign of bleeding at the upper end of your guts, and needs to be properly checked out.

although apparently iron tablets make your poo black too, as my mum once delightfully informed me over the dinner table.
  • Options
    :crazyeyes right.
    ~ ermmm... i don't take iron tablets (except for iron in a multivitamin each day.)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i don't take iron tablets (except for iron in a multivitamin each day.)

that could do it. although i would definitely get to a doc when you can.
  • Options
    It could be something you've eaten, I remember changing my god daughter's nappy and being horrified at the almost-black contents. Turned out she'd eaten a shedload of beetroot - no one told me, of course :p

But in seriousness, there is variation in the colour of our shit which can be explained away by what we've eaten. If it's not, and it's at the stage where it's of concern to you then you should get in checked out by your GP as soon as you're able. To jump from joking to 'worst case scenario' it could be, as kaff said, some form of internal bleeding. It could also be something like a Peptic Ulcer, since abdominal pain is a major symptom and you mentioned having stomach pains (and it also often produces a scary-looking black stool).
  • Options
    just phoned the surgery which is suprisingly still open and am waiting for a nurse to get back to me afetr she has spoken to a doctor... :nervous:
  • Options
    ... if it continues, get down there.
    - thats the advice. very helpful. :yeees:
  • Options
    Guinness can give you black shit too :yes:
  • Options
    Guinness can give you black shit too :yes:
    :chin: interesting. but i don't drink it. though i used to.
    i haven't eaten anything black that i'm aware of.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    ... if it continues, get down there.
    - thats the advice. very helpful. :yeees:

:lol:

Oh dear. But to be honest, did you really expect a full and frank diagnosis over the telephone (just as no one on here can diagnose your symptoms, only offer suggestions and chant "get thee to a GP"). They listened to your symptoms and since it doesn't sound like you're in a serious condition they've advised monitoring your own symptoms and condition and judging if and when you need to actually seek a face to face diagnosis :)

I'm now going to piss you off now by agreeing with what they advised, if you continue to experience the symptoms and/or if the abdominal pain gets any worse then seek medical attention.
  • Options
    If you can't get into the doctors maybe try a walk in centre if there is one near you, there normally open pretty late.
  • Options
    Black poo isn't good. As said before, don't mess around with this. It might just be because of something you've eaten or drank(I find lots of Guinness and a tin of sweetcorn keeps me very entertained the next day ;)). But as said before, blood makes poo turn black. If you can't explain the aching tummy with any food or drink consumed recently, then I'd be worried.

My friend is on his placement year at Newcastle-under-Lyme hospital, and is most probably down in Stafford tonight. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about it(though I've no idea if he'd be of any use or not).

Can always phone NHS direct and see what they say - 0845 46 47.

Not wanting to scare you or anything, but you're best off getting this investigated IMO.
  • Options
    If you can't get into the doctors maybe try a walk in centre if there is one near you, there normally open pretty late.
    what is a 'walk in centre' ?
    ... i think i'll just keep an eye on it... see if it clear up by tomorrow...
  • Options
    You could phone NHS direct and see what they say, but they'll probably either phone you an ambulance or tell you to monitor yourself as the surgery nurse did. I don't personally think it necessary as the situation stands as long as you are being vigilant about your own condition, but I wouldn't want to advise you as such and it end up being something serious.

Are you still having the abdominal pains? [This isn't a nice question but] are you experiencing diarrhea or anything else abnormal about your fecal matter... other than the colour of course. Does it hurt to pass a stool? Do you need to go more frequently etc? Also, are your stomach pains continuous or sporadic?
  • Options
    Ibuprofen (e.g. Nurofen) can give you black shit apparently.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    what is a 'walk in centre' ?
    ... i think i'll just keep an eye on it... see if it clear up by tomorrow...

It's just where you can walk in and see a nurse without having an appointment or anything. Sometimes you can have a bit of a long wait but there good if you can't get in to see your Dr and don't want to go to hospital.