Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dad called. Haven't seen him in 5 years.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dad called me last night. He'd phoned home and spoke to my younger brother, who gave him my mobile number.

Basically...he said he wanted to meet up and stuff... but I haven't seen him in 5 years. He said if I ever wanted to go see him (he's in England, I'm in Scotland) then I should. He had to ask what I do at uni and stuff too, because the last time we spoke about it I said I wanted to be a vet. I haven't wanted to be a vet since I was 14, and I'm now almost 19.

I'm a bit emotionally overwhelmed, and I'm not sure how I think about seeing him again soon.

I just wondered if anyone had any words of advice? Or support? Or if anyone has been in this circumstance and can share their experience?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    I'd say just dont rush in to it... make sure its what you want if you go to see him... and be prepared for the fact that yu might not like what you get when you do. Its fine if you decide that you dont want to see him, or just not at the moment. He should respect your decision. Make sure you have someone you can discuss it with, outside the family if yu dont wanna upset your mum or something.

Just to point out that i havent been in that situation, but thats just my thoughts :)
  • Options
    Why haven't you seen him?
  • Options
    Yes, I'd like to know that too.
  • Options
    He divorced my mum when I was 3. It started that we saw each other every fortnight, then it became once a month. Then he moved away for a couple of years (he told my brother and I that he was moving to Africa, when really he was moving to Shetland). Then we met up once every couple of months. Since I moved house a few years ago, I haven't seen him at all and he's barely been in touch.
  • Options
    This is one of those things that only you can decide. My advice would be do what ever you feel is right. Don't feel that you have to go because you haven't seen him in so long and don't feel bad for the rest of your family if you do decide to see him again.

Its completely your decision, if you can handle it emotionally I say go and see him. Good luck with everything. x