Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

shit :/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im relatively sure i just failed an exam. anyone had experience of doing first year exam retakes? or if they let u off for just missing out on one module??

i realy dont wanta have to do an exam over summer :/
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The situation with regards to resits depend on your university and beyondthis on which department of the university.

My course does not offer re-sits in the same academic year so you usually have to take a year out and come backfor a re-sit the following May. But UCL are cunts like that, it is not like this at most universities.
  • Options
    you had to take an exam on a saturday?
    most likely if you fail an exam you will be refered for a summer resit.
    BUT in some modules (- which really does depend on your course and university), you'd be refered to repeat the module the next acedemic year.
    i don't think you can be "let off" as you put it because you need to get 120 credits of completed study per year in order to qualify for your degree.
    if you are worried or need advice, speak with your course tutor.
    a lot does depend on the university you are at and the course you are doing, so its quite hard to give an overall picture.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    BUT in some modules (- which really does depend on your course and university), you'd be refered to repeat the module the next acedemic year.
    i don't think you can be "let off" as you put it because you need to get 120 credits of completed study per year in order to qualify for your degree.
    This depends entirely on the individual university though.

Not all universities operate on "credits" systems like your university. For example at my university we study 4 "course units" per year and have to pass three per year to pass (it has just gone up to 3.5 per year for people starting now). Therefore if you fail a course unit or a half course unit in something which is not a compulsory pre-requisite for the following year of study you can generally just keep going without it. This is what I have done on the occassions that I have failed exams at university.
  • Options
    At my university you have to pass every single module in order to be able to go onto the next year. If you fail an exam, you get ONE resit in the summer and the max you can get is 40%. If you fail it again I think you can either go part time and just retake that module or do it along with all your other modules.

It completely depends on your department and university. You need to talk to your tutor about it.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    This depends entirely on the individual university though.
    ... yes. it does. as i said. :p:)
  • Options
    On my course they used to make you a) take a massive resit in August if you failed year one, b) have a pass/fail viva if you were a few percent off the pass mark, c) resit the year.

Now they have changed the system so you pass/fail cycle one (i.e. first AND second year) but can't actually fail the first year. They can recommend you resit the first year but they can't make you - but if you don't follow their advice and fail you lose the automatic right to a resit.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    ... yes. it does. as i said. :p:)
    I know you started off by saying that but then you went on to say he'd need 120 credits. Unless you two are at the same university in which case you'd know more than the rest of us.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    On my course they used to make you a) take a massive resit in August if you failed year one, b) have a pass/fail viva if you were a few percent off the pass mark, c) resit the year.

Now they have changed the system so you pass/fail cycle one (i.e. first AND second year) but can't actually fail the first year. They can recommend you resit the first year but they can't make you - but if you don't follow their advice and fail you lose the automatic right to a resit.

So there's a chance that if i fail ONE module of eight i'd have to resit the entire year??

I guess i'll have to have a word with my tutor...

thx for the info guys