Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Saying I Love You.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I've been seeing this fella for a while now and although I do love him and tell him it, when I'm on the phone to him in the company of others and he ends the call with "I love you", I am unable to return with a response. I just say "Right, Bye" or something to that effect. This hurts him and I know it does. Is there any way you guys think I can fix this or..can you's tell me why you think I do this?

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you just say 'you too, Bye'?

Ilora x
  • Options
    You could talk to him about it and tell him what you just wrote. Tell him your uncomfortable saying it when theres groups of others around so don't take it personally.
  • Options
    I agree, you could just talk to him.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
    After a certain age, you shouldn't be uncomfortable with expressing yourself amongst others....:)
  • Options
    why is it so hard to say it back? Dya think everyone will laugh at you for loving your boyfriend?
    I always think its weird when i hear people on the phone to their partner and they DONT say it.
    Admittedly if you were doing the whole " I love you, mwah mwah, you put the phone down first, no you, heehee.....no you, ok.... love you...... no YOU put it down" etc etc ad nauseum, then yes, maybe i could see why you wouldnt want to do it in public, but just saying "love you too", Most people dont bat an eyelid at it.
  • Options
    I have a problem with that too. I can't physically bring myself to say the word love to anyone. I go to say it but i can't force the word out! I've had boyfriends before have a go at me cos i don't say it back.

Not really sure what you can do. Just say it?
  • Options
    I love you.
    See, easy.
  • Options
    why is it so hard to say it back? Dya think everyone will laugh at you for loving your boyfriend?
    I always think its weird when i hear people on the phone to their partner and they DONT say it.
    Admittedly if you were doing the whole " I love you, mwah mwah, you put the phone down first, no you, heehee.....no you, ok.... love you...... no YOU put it down" etc etc ad nauseum, then yes, maybe i could see why you wouldnt want to do it in public, but just saying "love you too", Most people dont bat an eyelid at it.

ditto...

it's not like you are having phone sex...

never understood why people where ashame of expressing their feelings for their partner in front of other...

If anyting you should be proud to have someone to love ad that love you back...

I can understand the pain of your boyfriend, you put what people will think before him...
  • Options
    ditto...

it's not like you are having phone sex...

never understood why people where ashame of expressing their feelings for their partner in front of other...

If anyting you should be proud to have someone to love ad that love you back...

I can understand the pain of your boyfriend, you put what people will think before him...

i agree with you. i dunno, i try to say it but the words just won't come out....i'll try harder in the future cos i don't wanna continue hurting him :(
  • Options
    Schnook wrote:
    i agree with you. i dunno, i try to say it but the words just won't come out....i'll try harder in the future cos i don't wanna continue hurting him :(

well just do it then... it's not that hard... just concentrate on him, think of the love you have for each other and try to forget what is around... trying closing your eyes it might help...
  • Options
    once youve said it once, it wont be as hard after that.
    Just think how much it will mean to him when you finally say it :)
  • Options
    once youve said it once, it wont be as hard after that.
    Just think how much it will mean to him when you finally say it :)
    yeh, i know....will definitely work on it!
  • Options
    'right, bye' is well rude.

just say 'you too, bye'.
  • Options
    'you too' is kinda rude as well I think..Just talk to him innit
  • Options
    You're only better saying it if you know you mean it, there's nothing worse than somebody saying it after going out with somebody for about a fortnight because it loses all meaning.

When it's banded about like just another word then it's just stupid, but when it's the right time for both people then it's the most amazing feeling in the world.

Hopefully it'll come, and you might even end up saying it without realising it.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I have a problem with that too. I can't physically bring myself to say the word love to anyone. I go to say it but i can't force the word out! I've had boyfriends before have a go at me cos i don't say it back.

Not really sure what you can do. Just say it?

Ditto.

I always thought i was the only one. Actually caused huge problems with an ex. I didnt once say it to his face in 3 years.
  • Options
    If you can't say it to their face or over the phone, then are you 100% sure of your feelings?

if you mean it then surely you shouldn't have a problem in saying it?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    You're only better saying it if you know you mean it, there's nothing worse than somebody saying it after going out with somebody for about a fortnight because it loses all meaning.

Hopefully it'll come, and you might even end up saying it without realising it.

It took me a good three months before I manage to say "I love you" to my boyfriend, but he only started to say it about a week or two before me (we only saw each other one night a week at that time), I think it took his three go before I replied "I love you too" The other two times I just cuddles up to him and kissed him on the cheek.

So if he says I love you when you are together try at least showing it with a kiss or a cuddle, as that should reasure him a bit that you do really love him.

Have you tried talking to him about the fact that you find it hard to say I love you. If you find it too hard to talk to him about it write him a letter explaining that you do love him but just can't seem to say the words. Tell him how special his is to you etc.
  • Options
    It's even worse when somebody spends almost a year saying it, and then stops because they decide they aren't sure if they do or not, but they still want to be with you.

I've stopped saying it, and it's really hard. I want to tell him how much I love him, but I'm scared that if I did he'd just say I know, or worse it'd be silent. :(

Just tell him, or say that you love him and if push comes to shove and it ends, say it was love and lust combined to start with but that you really loved him as a friend.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    It took me a good three months before I manage to say "I love you" to my boyfriend, but he only started to say it about a week or two before me (we only saw each other one night a week at that time), I think it took his three go before I replied "I love you too" The other two times I just cuddles up to him and kissed him on the cheek.

So if he says I love you when you are together try at least showing it with a kiss or a cuddle, as that should reasure him a bit that you do really love him.

Good point that.

It's hard to word it, but if your just in that stage when you don't really know what love is or haven't felt it before then a kiss and a cuddle still has a positive effect. My first girlfriend first said it to me when we were holding hands, then I just gave her hand a wee squeeze and we just looked at each other and smiled, I didn't really need to say anything.

I'm a sensitive boy and I need feel loved, I really couldn't go out with someone who was really indifferent about the whole love thing, to be honest.
  • Options
    This hurt me actually, when my girlfriend didnt say LOVE YOU at the end of the call, because it as infront of her mum. I do it, you should just not care what others think and go ahead and do it!
  • Options
    it's a telephone. If you don't want to say "I love you" to a piece of plastic then don't. It's always felt weird to me. I don't see what his problem is. 'bye' has always worked just fine for me when indicating the end of a conversation...
  • Options
    Hi everyone, this article on saying i love you might help!Take your time with expressing your feelings im sure your other half will understand :)