Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Edit your own newspaper!

Some of you here on the boards are doubtless readers of The Independent newspaper. This won't therefore be anything new to you, but to everyone else, this is for you. According to the BBC, tomorrow's edition of the paper will be edited by Bono, of all people. >> Story here >>

Now, MrG and a few others believe that I'm a walking copy of the Daily Mail. Which is kinda odd considering I don't even read the Mail anymore. :p But let's imagine for a second that you are taking over the editorial of your newspaper of choice for one day. What would you put on your front page?

Answering my own question, most of the time, I read The Times. (hears howls of derision in the background at the news SG reads a Murdoch press publication) Out of the many stories I could put on the front page, I would probably go for... no, not the story about the drug baron arrested for 22 years... I would go for the story that a drought order has been granted to Sutton and East Surrey Water so that they can ban car washing, the filling of swimming pools and watering of parks and sports grounds for the next six months. Get some articles on the inside about how Britain is running dry of water, etc, etc... :p

What would you put on your front page?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i hgate the idea of pop stars being political mouthpices.
    sting rants on and on about the fucking ran forrest ...while actualy doing fuck all to save the environment or the people who depend on it.
    he could fgor example ...with something like a fifth of his wealth ...buy ....thousands of square miles of rain forset and allow the native population yto survive there.
    his accountants will tell him it aint economicly viable so he wont.

you have to be a fool ...to listen to these fabulously wealthy people.
    they may encourage awareness ...they may donate quids but ...at thew end of the day ...they are part of the problem.

how much ...are they willing to sacrifice ...compared to how much they ask us to sacrifice?
  • Options
    i hgate the idea of pop stars being political mouthpices.
    sting rants on and on about the fucking ran forrest ...while actualy doing fuck all to save the environment or the people who depend on it.
    he could fgor example ...with something like a fifth of his wealth ...buy ....thousands of square miles of rain forset and allow the native population yto survive there.
    his accountants will tell him it aint economicly viable so he wont.

you have to be a fool ...to listen to these fabulously wealthy people.
    they may encourage awareness ...they may donate quids but ...at thew end of the day ...they are part of the problem.

how much ...are they willing to sacrifice ...compared to how much they ask us to sacrifice?
    So, I take it you don't want to edit any paper, then? :p

Seriously, I see where you're coming from on this. The Independent is a paper that features environmental news extensively as it is, so in all honesty, I can't imagine it'd be much different to normal. (yes, I do read it occasionally, to the shock of board liberals) :p But what will Bono and Sting actually do about the environment? What will Bono do to help the starving in Africa that he sang about at LiveAid last year?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, I take it you don't want to edit any paper, then? :p

Seriously, I see where you're coming from on this. The Independent is a paper that features environmental news extensively as it is, so in all honesty, I can't imagine it'd be much different to normal. (yes, I do read it occasionally, to the shock of board liberals) :p But what will Bono and Sting actually do about the environment? What will Bono do to help the starving in Africa that he sang about at LiveAid last year?
    they will shout about it.
    as for the indy ...you do realise they are pro legalisation of all drugs?
  • Options
    they will shout about it.
    as for the indy ...you do realise they are pro legalisation of all drugs?
    Yes, I'm aware of that. It may also surprise you to learn that I no longer hold the view all drugs should be kept illegal. Nor am I convinced any more by the claim all drug users should be locked up. Surprised? ;)
  • Options
    Bono etc are just using their fame as a way to bring attention to the problems. I personally have no idea how much Bono donates to charity but a lot of problems couldn't be solved just by pouring millions of pounds into them. Sure, it'd help a great deal but there are some causes that need politic pressure applied to them or the money is frittered away. The more people made aware and able to help, the better.

Meh, I'm too ill to argue this properly.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    a lot of problems couldn't be solved just by pouring millions of pounds into them. Sure, it'd help a great deal but there are some causes that need politic pressure applied to them or the money is frittered away.
    seems to me ...the more politcs gets involved ...the less sucsess there is.
    why would political pressure do anything?
    politicians have little to gain ...like pop stars.
  • Options
    seems to me ...the more politcs gets involved ...the less sucsess there is.
    why would political pressure do anything?
    politicians have little to gain ...like pop stars.

I was thinking pressure to make sure that money goes where it's needed. Call me an idealist but if the world is focusing on a problem, I think it's more likely that aid will going to the right place. And not wasted on whores and trinkets.
  • Options
    Bono...

Mr Ipod save Africa... Didn't he go to the World Economic Forum too?

I am in no position to say whether he is genuine or not as I'm not him... To be fair Geldof has written a brilliant book on Africa and knows what he's on about. I used to think he was a twat but he's a smart guy, he's done his research.
  • Options
    As slogan adaptations go:

406.jpg

...that has to be up there with the best of them. He is unbearable, along with the rest of them and the mere mention of Sting's moralising and lecturing has made me all pissed off. Argh.

Topic? I got nuthin' :razz: