Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

computer won't start

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My g/f's computer won't start and it has all her college work on it! It displays a screen saying something like "Sorry for the inconvenience but Windows didn't start normally. This may be due to a recent hardware or software configuration". It then goes on to give options to start in safe mode, last known good configuration or normally. None of them work, they get as far as the Windows XP splash screen and then it reboots to the "Sorry for the inconvenience..." message.

Tried installing her hardrive as slave in my machine, it claims its not formatted and disk manager claims its not NTFS (it is!). Using it as primary drive in my machine incurs the original error message.

Help!

Comments

• Options
    Seems like there is a proble wit the HD, with a recovery software you can recover file on the HD without formatting it... use either http://www.ntfs.com/ or easy recovery http://www.ontrack.com/software/...
  • Options
    Could also be a problem with the partition on the Hard Drive... something like Parition Magic would be able to help you with that!
  • Options
    Go into the BIOS, Boot From CD, Restart and It should boot or you press a key when told. The you should be able to repair any damaged or missing files.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Try a live linux CD, like knoppix... It may sound crazy, but when my NTFS partition was corrupted, windows (which has the official driver!) couldn't read the files in it while linux (which has an unofficial driver!) could. That's how I saved my files.
  • Options
    If its getting as far as the windows logo, that means the drive is atleast slightly alive.

But then again, if you tried to slave the drive and that didn't work....thats bad. Are you sure your bios is set to have a slave drive?
  • Options
    Yeah, BIOS is set. Managed to get some files back using a program called GetDataBack.

Cheers for all your help guys :)