Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Toning up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm not fat but I do feel I need/should tone up quite a bit instead of losing weight.

So, was wondering what you're views were on the best and most effective way of toning the lower part of the body.

Past few days I've started using a mini trampet- you think that will have an impact? Or do I need to do more, to reach more toned legs, arse etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    swimming is good for general toning
  • Options
    Running, Biking, Swimming etc. Using a trampoline will have some effect but the three mentioned before would give much better results in a shorter time if done to a routine as well as maintaining a good diet.
  • Options
    Swimming defo. I doubt a trampette is good for much but balance and joint stability.
  • Options
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    Hi,

I'm not fat but I do feel I need/should tone up quite a bit instead of losing weight.

So, was wondering what you're views were on the best and most effective way of toning the lower part of the body.

Past few days I've started using a mini trampet- you think that will have an impact? Or do I need to do more, to reach more toned legs, arse etc.

Thanks!

What you need is to do lots of sit-ups (make sure you do them correctly though, can damage back your back if done wrong) and eat a healthy balanced diet. The diet will decrease fat and the sit-ups will then tone your abdomen. Squats are good for your legs and arrse. You should join your local gym, they have equipment for every part of your body. Use light weights with high reps. You could also join an aeroboics class.

p.s drink loads of water, it is poven to lower appetite and lose weight, its also could for loads of other things like skin.
  • Options
    Cycling is brilliant in toning the lower body
  • Options
    According to Dr Gillian McKeith (Ch4's You are what you eat) 5 minutes on a trampette is the equivalent to a 20 minute jog. :chin:
  • Options
    Without meaning to sound stupid, whats a trampette?
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Without meaning to sound stupid, whats a trampette?

The female version of a tramp. You work out by Ko'ing one and then jumping up and down on them repeatedly. /my joke credibility :|

But I believe it is a mini version of a trampoline. One just big enough for one person.
  • Options
    :lol: Ok....I thought thats what it might have been
  • Options
    According to Dr Gillian McKeith (Ch4's You are what you eat) 5 minutes on a trampette is the equivalent to a 20 minute jog. :chin:

ROFL!!!

Naomi, just do loads of cardio exercizes!!
    Running, swimming, cycling....
    Also get some light dumbells and do some strength exercizes for instance when you are watching TV...
    And drink water, yep!!
  • Options
    sit ups? easy to do a few in the morning and before bed.
  • Options
    sit ups? easy to do a few in the morning and before bed.

You should do them in sets, doing just 'a few' will have minimal effect.

Also eating high protein foods after a workout can be beneficial if you are looking to add muscle mass.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    You should do them in sets, doing just 'a few' will have minimal effect.

What would you suggest for sets? Like sets of 10 or more like 25?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    What would you suggest for sets? Like sets of 10 or more like 25?

Well it depends on how comfortable you are with a certain number. So If you can just about do 10, then do 3 of those with say a 30 second rest in between. Then increase the amount of reps each week or when you feel you can handle them.

You are aiming to work the muscles so if you feel totally fine afterwards you need to be putting more effort in.

Generally doing the reps at a quick pace will give better all round results, don't strain yourself but make sure the effort is there.

It would be good to do them every other day, or if you are feeling sore then give it another days rest.
  • Options
    Your good. Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    The best thing to do is try and do as many as you can until failure, that way you'll see whats best for you.
  • Options
    You could try pilates, its the most boring thingon the face of the earth but it works well for any part of the body. Best to take beginer classes for a bit a then by a book (maybe 'New York City Ballet Workout') an do it yourself everyday. Try and get into to a habit of doing something every day because it takes time. Or just go on a bike. Good Luck!