Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When Does A Habit Become A Disorder?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So recently my friends have been aware of my eating habits. I'm not sure how long they've noticed or have been monitoring what I eat, but since we're all on exam leave we've had time to spend more time together for lunch and dinner and things.

Anyway... they think I'm beginning to show a bit of an eating disorder. Of not eating enough.

I can't remember the last time I had a decent proper meal, and I'm in catered accommodation so it shouldn't really be an excuse. Sometimes I convince myself that I'm not hungry, when I feel like I'm a bit fatter that day (even though I know that I'm not). Sometimes I'll skip meals, or have smaller meals because it's cheaper that way.

I know this isn't good for me. But are they just bad habits? When or can they turn into an eating disorder?

Comments

• Options
    If you have to convince yourself not to eat, then you have a bit of a problem.

I can't claim to understand eating disorders, but I can offer my opinion.

If you think eating food will make you gain weight, why not go for a run in the morning, that way you actually need to eat more. Also, go for a walk in the afternoon and burn some calories.

My point is, if you exercise a little, you can afford to eat more and stay healthy.

Exercise and eating right is the only way to stay healthy. Please dont starve yourself.
  • Options
    Its a good question, one i dont know.

I bet it easily becomes a disorder..before you even realise.

Im not doing very well at the moment, i cant Not count calories and restrict them during the daytimes when im in work.

I dont really know what class as what but its good youve got a group of caring friends around you.
    take care
  • Options
    it becomes a disorder if it's harmful. not eating enough isn't a habit. it's a disorder.

having smaller meals is fine. as long as you have more of them. if you want/need to lose weight, then a healthy diet is a good idea, but eating nothing and skipping meals will just make you ill. and it isn't fun, trust me.

habits are quirky things that are a bit weird, but not really endangering health. like my friend who can't have different foods in her mouth together - she'll eat all her chips, then all her mushy peas, then all her fish. it's weird, but the end result is the same. or like mr. kaff, who can't have spaghetti shapes on toast - he can have them both, as long as they don't touch. again, not really harmful. just odd.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    or like mr. kaff, who can't have spaghetti shapes on toast - he can have them both, as long as they don't touch

Thats so weird, in an endearing way :)
  • Options
    well, they would make the toast soggy, and noone likes soggy toast.
    except maybe eton schoolboys?
  • Options
    well, they would make the toast soggy, and noone likes soggy toast.

i do :(

i get a bit upset if i'm having beans on toast and there is a non-beany (sharp!) toast section.

in the on-toast stakes, me and mr. kaff are polar opposites.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i do :(
    well i think enjoying soggy toast IS indicative of an underlying ED tbh
  • Options
    well i think enjoying soggy toast IS indicative of an underlying ED tbh

i shall seek help!

does anyone have the number for beans anonymous?
  • Options
    Hmmm... I think I should just eat more... and then seperately think of some way not to be so repulsed by my body.

Just a note... Why do people always assume that people who talk about eating problems and weight loss don't do any exercise?
    (This isn't a dig or anything! Just something I've noticed)
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Hmmm... I think I should just eat more... and then seperately think of some way not to be so repulsed by my body.

Just a note... Why do people always assume that people who talk about eating problems and weight loss don't do any exercise?
    Good question because the eating disorders are sometimes associated with compulsive exercise too. Hence it's more of a body image problem than an isolated eating disorder.

What's your BMI? http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/interactiveTools/bmi.aspx
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    it becomes a disorder if it's harmful. not eating enough isn't a habit. it's a disorder.

having smaller meals is fine. as long as you have more of them. if you want/need to lose weight, then a healthy diet is a good idea, but eating nothing and skipping meals will just make you ill. and it isn't fun, trust me.

:yes: Agree with what Kaffrin has said.

Skipping meals makes you ill, very tired and run down.

Habits can turn into a disorder if you are not careful and the habits get worse, ie, you slowly start eating less and less.
  • Options
    Hey
    It's great that you've got friends that care about you enough to notice when something's up. I'd hang on to them and take their support when you need it if I was you!

Just thought I'd post some links that might help you.

First of all, our eating disorders section has lots of articles that might be helpful in explaining what different eating disorders there are and how to get help.

The Eating Disorders Association is also packed with useful information, plus they have a helpline (0845 634 1414) and a forum for people under 25.

Hope some of this help you

Take care :)
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

We all know assumptions and stereotypes are bad, but sometimes its the only way to answer a question without resorting to an essay of mathematical precision :)
  • Options
    I don't actually know how much I weigh... Haven't embraced any scales for a while, since I don't have any, and the ones my mum had were old and ancient and broke.
  • Options
    Any issues with food is technically an eating disorder, not just 'bad habits'

But im afraid i no nothing much on the subject. You dont need to freak out or anything, but get advice (ideally proffessional), take it seriously and try and not let it get out of hand or anything because it would just make everything worse later. Dont ignore it and say its nothing because these things can get out of control so easily.

I dont think (although probably ignore me cos i dont really have a clue) that you should try and seperate your issues with food and body image because i think without realising it they go hand in hand. x