Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hair Cuts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I have always had a bit of a dislike for hair salons etc and hence kept out of them and gone for the clippers approach, ie. Cut it short, let it grow, cut it short.....(am a guy)

However have decided its time to overcome this and just go to somewhere and get it done but whats the difference between a hairdresser and a hair stylist. I know the style I want - can I just take a picture to either of these and they can do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    In my experiences, 'stylists' as they call themselves are not really any different to normal hairdressers, they just think they are better and charge more. :yeees:
  • Options
    i generally just explain to my hairdresser what the aim is and she/he generally does it.

im currently getting it done for free tho, so i cant complain if it goes wrong!
  • Options
    They're the same thing. Only, hair stylists tend to charge more because they're apparently more qualified.
    Hairdressers tend to be in small family run salons or one of those 'mobile' hairdressers.
    Hair stylists tend to work for the more 'corporate' companies like Toni and Guy or Vidal Sassoon etc.

As for taking a picture with you - you'll be lucky to get exactly the same hair as in the picture - they tend to look at the picture and then cut it the way they'd want it themselves. :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Every time I got to Tony & Guy the fella totally ignores what I say anyway. Still, usually looks ok.
  • Options
    having not had my hair done at toni and guy myself i dont know how true this is but ive heard its pretty toss, especially the one in town here. overpriced sack of balls
  • Options
    Yeah, my mum's been to a Toni and Guy and had a horror of a haircut. I certainly wouldn't recommend them - they all seem to be 15 year olds with mullets cutting people's hair :confused:

Ilora x
  • Options
    but you get to sit on massage chairs while they totally ignore what you asked for...
  • Options
    I never pay more than a tenner for my hair cut, i have a modern choppy style and everyone always comments on how nice my hair is so it obvously doesn't look cheap. Personally I would stick to local small scale salons I'd never go to a chain or expensive salon, not worth the money at all. :no:
  • Options
    I think the issue with taking a photograph with you and saying "I want to look like that" largely ignores the fact that they can only style/ cut the hair you've already got. It the model has thick hair and you have not then of course you won't come out looking like the photo.

I get my hair cut at the Toni and Guy Academy because it is cheap (£5 or free if you pick up a voucher) although it is a bit too fashionable for me.