Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does he love me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm the most self-conscious person around. I've been with my boyfriend for a year now and we're planning on going travelling to Australia at the end of this year. But I still ask him everyday whether or not he loves me. I really want him to propose to me but he says he'll never do it and never want to have kids. To be fair I'm only 18 and don't want to marry or have kids for another 10years or so but I need reassurance that he loves me

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Some men have problems admitting their feelings. If you've been together a year and planning to go away there must be something there.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    JsT wrote:
    Some men have problems admitting their feelings. If you've been together a year and planning to go away there must be something there.
    :yes: Tis true.

We've actually got a Q&A in our askTheSite archive which could hardly be closer to your situation if you'd submitted it yourself. Have a look: Love detector .

Also, just becasue he says he'll never propose or want to have kids doesn't have to mean he doesn't love you, sometimes when people are pressured into agreeing to such things it can make them feel nervous and give an extreme answer. Many guys that I knew when I was younger said that they didn't want to get married but most are either engaged or at least living with their partners. Our opinions on these things can change drastically over time.

Hope this helps reassure you ;)
  • Options
    Well he must have some feelings for you, any bloke i know would have got fed up of the constant need for reassurance if they didn't love someone.

I wouldn't pressure him into proposing. Especially not at 18. Also looks like you've got some confidence issues, i'd get those sorted out.
  • Options
    If i were you i'd stop asking if he loves you.

Because i reckon its going to end up really pissing him off, and he'll go off you.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well he must have some feelings for you, any bloke i know would have got fed up of the constant need for reassurance if they didn't love someone.

I wouldn't pressure him into proposing. Especially not at 18. Also looks like you've got some confidence issues, i'd get those sorted out.

I don't want to marry yet but I would still love to be engaged cause it means so much to me. I would feel much more comfortable and loved. Yeah I have got confidence issues. I'm on anti-depressants and find it difficult o acceot that people actually like/love me.
  • Options
    I don't want to marry yet but I would still love to be engaged cause it means so much to me. I would feel much more comfortable and loved. Yeah I have got confidence issues. I'm on anti-depressants and find it difficult o acceot that people actually like/love me.

I think you need to work on your issues first. Most blokes i know get put off by needy girls.

And i think thats a kinda wrong reason to wanna be engaged to someone. Sort your confidence out and you won't need him to feel better.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't want to marry yet but I would still love to be engaged cause it means so much to me. I would feel much more comfortable and loved. .

I'm really sorry, but the thing is this sounds like this belief may well be an excuse for really getting to the crux of your confidence issues. Who is to say that if you're boyfriend proposed to you you wouldn't still worry about whether he might call it off, or even if you got married, whether he might decide to divorce you? I know this sounds harsh, but from what you've told us so far, your boyfriend is already making quite a big committment in his decision to go to Australia with you and we can't know for sure whether or not he loves you, what we can tell you is that learning to love yourself is equally as important.

You mention that you already taking anti-depressants - hopefully these are helping. Often people say that anti-depressants are more effective when combined with some kind of therapy/counselling. You may find this article on boosting confidence helpful - particularly links to other organisations.

Take good care of yourself, and celebrate your relationship, it sounds like a positive one ;)
  • Options
    I have a lot of confidence issues as well, and often feel like I'm not who my boyfriend wants me to be, but the truth is is that he wouldn't be with me if he didn't want me, especially after over 18months, and I'm sure it's the same with you and your guy. It is hard to change these feelings, I have cried myself to sleep every night for almost the last week because of these feelings but I know that if our relationship is going to go any further, I need to sort out my feelings. I desperately want us to stay together and go on but these feelings do stand in my way sometimes. I have mentioned it to my boyfriend but he isn't the type to talk about problems, which annoys me and doesn't help in me getting rid of these feelings. He has said that of course he loves me and that he does want to be with me, but I still feel this way.

If you and your boyfriend are planning on going travelling to Australia there is definitely something there as everyone else has said. I know it's hard (as I have explained above) but you have to push these thoughts out of your head, and stop asking him if he loves you. I am sure that he will say it when the time is right and if you got engaged, you may then feel the same again but about getting married, and in my opinion 18 years old and having gone out for 1 year is a bit soon, although everyone is different.

If you want to PM me to get anything off your chest you can. I can kind of relate to what you're going through, but I do think that like me it is a problem with you and your feelings and confidence, rather than him.

Take care x
  • Options
    Every single person shows love in different ways. I know someone who is one of the coldest blokes you will meet and everyone sees him as a right bastard. The crux of it is he was hurt so badly 3 years ago that he just doesn't trust anyone or show his feelings anymore. But when he was with someone he was never in your face romantic, never showed his feelings that much but you knew that he loved her in the fact he would always defend her, he never cheated and was with her 2 years. I think he saw it as he'd said it once so therefore she should know that he loved her.

I must admit i find it hard when partners are always seeking reassurance about love/emotions because in my eyes if i'm with them then that means i care.

Like everyone else has said i really would try and sort out the self-confidence issues first rather than pushing for an engagement. You sound like if you were engaged that would mean your self-worth would increase. But at the end of the day you should only get engaged if you love that person and want to marry not used it as an emotional crutch.
  • Options
    In my opinion, guys think completely different from girls
    While as girls, we think about marriage and kids and things that pertain to our far future, Boys, on the other hand, think at the moment, and right now he's probably thinking "here's a girl whose company i enjoy so much, i'm willing to take a 13 hour flight with her and spend some time with her in AUSTRALIA"
    it ain't exactly "i love you" but it's a good enough expression of it
    i think he wouldn't waste his time and trip if he didn't care for you
  • Options
    hmmm i think you are fine. i wouldnt worry about the wedding and the kids yet. most people come around to these things, im not a big fan of marriage myself, who needs a bit of paper to prove how much you love someone??
    well, i say this, but im pretty sure i'll marry at some point.

take it as face value, if he didnt love you, he wouldnt be there. (at least i hope not)
  • Options
    But you're 18, so why would you want to think about getting engaged and having kids right now? And how does him proposing make you think he'll love you more?
  • Options
    i've got a friend whos getting engaged at 16 after being with her bf 3 months
    he shouldn't need to put a ring on your finger to prove he loves you, and a ring won't make you feel any more secure
  • Options
    co-dependant relationships never work out for the good, which is what it will become... you need to get to the bottom of your emotional issues, otherwise the relationship you will endevour to have will be based on you constantly having to get your needs satisfied to the extreme. you'll put too much pressure on your bf to be there for you, become overly dependant on him and it won't work out. my advice would be to deal with your neediness and self consciousness before embarking on a serious relationship.
  • Options
    youve been with him a year and he doesnt tell you every day that he loves you?

Or do you mean he tells you and you still ask more?

I tell my boyf all the time, and vice versa. if I had to ask him, then yeah id probably be feeling a bit insecure too.