Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Split Uterus

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just had an ultrasound during which I was told I have a split uterus. Does anyone actually know what this means? Ive been searching the internet but cant find anything on it and its puzzled me a bit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Did you ask them what it meant?
  • Options
    I think it means your uterus is split into 2 cavaties. It can either be split completely, or just split a little bit so your uterus is an odd shape.

Or that something hasn't fused properly. I'd speak to your doctor if i was you. None of us probably know for sure what it is.
  • Options
    Google know... here is a bit of what I found...
    A split uterus can be one of two things, either a uterine septum, or an actual double uterus. Either of these can be associated with some difficulty conceiving. A uterine septum is easily corrected. A double uterus, or uterus didelphysis, can be a different story and may require some more aggressive measures, although many women with this problem have very successful pregnancies.
  • Options
    I read something about that in a magazine, just where some woman was telling her story... she'd had children :)... just to say that it doesn't mean that you cant have children because if i was told something like that it would be one of the main things i would be concerned about :)
  • Options
    i'm fairly sure someone from these boards has the same problem (is it lu_c?)

i might be wrong, but you could try searching for her old posts?
  • Options
    I am tempted to go to my doctor and speak to him about it as I havent really been able to get any good links on Google that really explain it and its worrying me as all ive read is negative. I just dont know if it would seem like I was over-reacting.

When I asked the woman she said it meant it was split in two but wasnt a problem.
  • Options
    If your at all confused then you should either be able to make an appointment to go back and see the person who referred you for an ultrasound or your GP. Either of these two should be able to explain again precisely what your case is and what it means to your life.

Don't feel like your wasting anyone's time, an important part of a doctors role is to inform patients, I guess they maye missed when you last saw one.
  • Options
    try searching bicornuate uterus which is what theyre usually called. :)
  • Options
    ^ Thats what I have searched. And nothing give me straight facts.

The GP I wanna go and speak to about it is still on leave until may 30th and otherwise it has to be a guy, which well to say the least im not keen on male doctors.
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to make an appointment to see the one your happy seeing for when she gets back then. If there was anything major I'm sure they would have told you.

Might also be worth asking if they have any other female GPs, you never know!
  • Options
    Or arrange an appoinment with a nurse at the practice. They're good at giving advice on that kinda stuff...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i'm fairly sure someone from these boards has the same problem (is it lu_c?)

i might be wrong, but you could try searching for her old posts?

That's what I was thinking, though I had no idea who it was. I definitely remember a previous post on this though. A quick search should find them.

It's nothing to give cause for immediate worry, I'd just wait until the doctor you're comfortable with has returned from leave and use your appointment to ask any and all the questions you might have. It should really have been explained initially when you were diagnosed - so you'd know the craic with your own body as well as to alay any worries you might have - but often if you don't ask they don't tell.