Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boosting confidence

(This is mainly to do with talking to younger people I don't know)

I was having a chat to a teacher today who I sometimes help out with his lessons. He made some sort of comment about how he thinks I'm not confident enough (which is true) because he always has to actually tell me to go over and help someone who needs help with their work - if he doesn't tell me to something I rarely do anything.

So, what really is the best way for me to boost my confidence?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pretend to be confidant.
    if you manage that, it just sort of falls into place... and you really are confidant
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    pretend to be confidant.
    if you manage that, it just sort of falls into place... and you really are confidant

I think I'll try this and see how everything goes...
  • Options
    good luck.
  • Options
    It means having a good opinion of yourself.

And not thinking you're shit. If you think you're shit, why would people think differently? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Gedd-E-Lee wrote:

And not thinking you're shit. If you think you're shit, why would people think differently? :rolleyes:

This isn't what I'm actually talking about. Basically, I'm very quiet and shy. And I don't have that much confidence in mixing with new people I don't know. Saying that, I was alright being with 2 random people (one of whom is the teacher I mentioned in my first post) when I was doing Ten Tors earlier this year...
  • Options
    hmm, im the same, really shy in situations where i have so much to gain and end up losing out and thinkin 'what if'. Had lectures from 2 workmates last week sayin how i shud think more of myself, and b a bit more confident, but dont think ppl like us will ever change really, just have to put a brave face on it cos it does work!
  • Options
    Gedd-E-Lee wrote:

I'd say that's more about having self esteem rather than confidence.

Being confident is a great form of acting. Most people who seem confident are putting it on - it's a front.
    Also, positive affirmation works - take a deep breath and say 'I can do this' to yourself 5 times in the mirror and things will get easier. :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    think to yourself.. "what would a confident person do in this situation" and then go do it.
  • Options
    force yourself
  • Options
    hmm, im the same, really shy in situations where i have so much to gain and end up losing out and thinkin 'what if'. Had lectures from 2 workmates last week sayin how i shud think more of myself, and b a bit more confident, but dont think ppl like us will ever change really, just have to put a brave face on it cos it does work!

Totally agreed here.