Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you have a non-religious objection to assisted dying?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today, the House of Lords are debating Lord Joffe's private member's bill, Assisted Dying for the Terminally Ill.

If passed, the bill will allow terminally ill adults in unbearable pain to receive medical help in dying.

While one can understand any religious objections, does anyone have any non-religious objections to physician-assisted suicide?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't really say I have moral objections as such, I am just nervous and I'd want it to be done very very carefully.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Practical objection to it - it could be abused, and sometimes terminally ill patients dont have the capacity (apparently) to make an informed decision on something so great. Doctors are supposed to save lives not end them, when in doubt err on the side of life.

Just a few really. I'm on the fence about it though, I think people should have that right but am too scared of forced euthanasia. What if someone says they want to die but dont really mean it? Mind you, this is quite personal here: my dad died of cancer last year, he had two major cancers. First one was skin cancer in his brain (melanoma?) and the second was a sarcoma (that was actually probably from radiation when he was aboard nuclear subs, according to the doc). Anyway, by some uncanny coincidence, but of them debilated him at the same time, as the melanoma gave him fits etc. and loss of awareness, and sarcoma was around his chest cavity and he couldnt breathe well.

In hospital, they could have operated on the sarcoma so he would have survived another few months, but he'd already suffered some brain damage. So they just let him be, and he died in two days. Me and my family (although obviously upset) were glad that he'd passed relatively quickly - his quality of life was never hugely interrupted. I think by not operating they did pass a death sentence really, but they knew he would never recover. So almost like euthanasia but not. I think theres a fine line between witholding 'life saving' surgery and actually giving a lethal injection (so long as the patients are similarly incapacitated).

Suppose it goes like this: would you rather be remembered as boisterous, happy, full of life, or hooked up to ventilators, drips and the like? Pro euthanasia people want to be remembered with dignity. That lady who died of motor neuron disease and wanted to die, died in the end when she got a chest infection and refused anti biotics. I think she would have prefered to gone quickly and peacefully with her family around her.

But anyway, just food for thought...
  • Options
    I have splinters in my arse too.

I can see the benefits and I can see why people would consider it. However, I also see the lack of hope, the lack of investment in cures in the future and the lack of investment in palliative care which would follow...
  • Options
    I also see the lack of hope, the lack of investment in cures in the future and the lack of investment in palliative care which would follow...

I quite agree. I further agree to the objection to 'assisted dying' that it will change the culture, increase the already not unusual feelings in some terminally ill people that they're a 'burden' – what’s to stop people who don’t want to die feeling they have some kind of obligation to die? Then there’s greedy relatives eager to get their hands on an inheritance, there’s the enormous and unwelcome extra responsibility given to doctors – and with it the potential for some appalling abuses. As many who’ve had experience of these issues say, there are many people who will one day be absolutely sure and convinced they want to die but then change their mind a day or so later – and I’ve not heard anybody complain about palliative care and its role. But if this bill goes through the availability of palliative care could be reduced.
  • Options
    This is something I'm divided over - I agree with it for some reasons and disagree with it for other reasons.
  • Options
    I agree that people should have the freedom to choose. But I doubt their ability to make a free choice in a lot of situations.
  • Options
    I am all for Euthanasia and always have been a supported of assisted suicide, provided the system in place is as close to perfect as can be.

The only objections i can think of are in the realms of, avoiding another Shipman coming along and assisting-deaths off the books, probably murdering.

Doctors assisting a patient with suicide as is the patients wish and desire, but to then be sued for mal-practice and or having other criminal charges be put to them by the surviving family of the patient who are looking for someone to blame out of grief.
  • Options
    But is euthanasia was legalised in the UK, won't most people who murder old relatives for their money try to defend themselves and say that they were only helping their relative to die?
  • Options
    I think that the worry is more that the terminally ill, old, infirm would consider themselves a burden and so go ahead regardless of the family wishes...

I still think that it will come down to "death is cheap" though, when it comes to health provision.
  • Options
    It's that wierd arguement isn't it - suicide isn't illegal, but wanting to kill yourself isn't allowed if you are suffering and need help.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    It's that wierd arguement isn't it - suicide isn't illegal, but wanting to kill yourself isn't allowed if you are suffering and need help.

I always thought it was illegal, think I thought this because of insurance not being paid out to families etc in cases of suicide, I learn something new every day here.

I'm sitting on the fence too, I think if I had to face this with either myself or a family member being terminally ill my opinion could change greatly. I have a moral objection to any person killing another in any circumstances at all, I also have a strong moral objection to suicide assisted or not. I don't think its a religious objection but somewhere along the line my upbringing might have something to do with it.

I have an objection in terms of practicality and feel it would be extremely difficult to control.
  • Options
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040326.html

surprised it was never a crime in the US, though the law was only removed from Ireland in the 90s
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040326.html

surprised it was never a crime in the US, though the law was only removed from Ireland in the 90s

Nice link. Also surprised it was never a crime in America. Since it was everywhere else almost

It makes sense that you can't punish the dead (although it seems in that link that they did try) but I always thought that it remained a crime and inheritance/payment etc was questioned.

Interesting about Jewish religion too.
  • Options
    Sometimes people feel they want to die, but in a weeks time they may feel totally different (anything could happen). I don't like the idea of doctors doing it... I know it seems unsafe, but it should at least be someone close to them, there's a lot more trust then.
  • Options
    if someone is terminally ill and is only going to get worse until they die, and has the support of the family....i don't see what's so wrong with wanting to end your life with dignity
    so much for being concerned about quality of life
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i don't see what's so wrong with wanting to end your life with dignity
    I don't know anyone who does. It's the definition of dying with dignity that is up for discussion.
    I'm not sure how death can improve quality of life.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't know anyone who does. It's the definition of dying with dignity that is up for discussion.

It is the ending your life thing that I object to actually, I'm not sure how much dignity you have being wheeled to Zurich with the hope of ending your own life, risking your own family's freedom on their return. But thats just me and I am by no means questioning the actions of those that have chosen that route. Like I said before its extremely difficult to comment on something of which I have no experience but one my best friends Mum died from a lengthy terminal illness and had dignity until the end, why does it have to be that dignity can only come through ending your own life?
    Kentish wrote:
    I'm not sure how death can improve quality of life.

:yes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i don't see what's so wrong with wanting to end your life with dignity

Who said death was ever dignified?

It's the loneliest experience you can ever have.

But that isn't what is discussed, euthanasia isn't about quality of life, it's about the right to be assisted in your suicide.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No. I have no objection.
  • Options
    i never said death would improve quality of life.....but deteriorating slowly in pain before you eventually die just because the law says you can't end it before it gets worse isn't going to be enjoyable is it?
    it's their life and death, let them do what they want
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i never said death would improve quality of life.....but deteriorating slowly in pain before you eventually die just because the law says you can't end it before it gets worse isn't going to be enjoyable is it?
    it's their life and death, let them do what they want
    They can. Suicide isn't illegal. The law you support would give the responsibility for death not to the terminally ill person but to a third party, probably a doctor or euthanasia technician.
  • Options
    I have an objection on the grounds that I sure as hell won't live with the guilt of having helped someone to die.