Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rain and Hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does rain make hayfever symptoms better or worse? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Usually better.

The nasty bits of pollen find it a lot harder to float round the air to you when the rain gets in the way.
  • Options
    My hayfever is a little better when it rains
  • Options
    it usually doen't change my symptoms sometimes I seem to be more blocked up when it rains no itchy eyes though so thats always a good thing.
    I'm getting kinda concerned though my symptoms started in March as usual but just now they are bareable nothing as bad as last year, I'm worried its going to come with a BIG attack!
  • Options
    should be better. with grass for example it gets flattened out or something!

mine sometimes gets worse though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Better and worse.

After rain plants and trees bloom, open up more and the pollen count increases.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Better and worse.

After rain plants and trees bloom, open up more and the pollen count increases.

yeah, i find that just after it's been raining, and still damp, my hayfever seems to be worse.
  • Options
    While its raining im normally ok to be out and about without feeling too bad, once its stopped god no its horrible!
  • Options
    I htought the theory was that the rain makes the pollen wet and heavy and therefore not airborne enough to cause symptoms. Once the sun'a dried everything out, I assumed it would be at the same level...
  • Options
    It usually makes mine better because it dampens everything down, but sometimes it gets REALLY bad like when it rains during a storm and the humidity shoots up. Speaking of which mine is so bad right now *sneezes*
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    KJ87 wrote:
    It usually makes mine better because it dampens everything down, but sometimes it gets REALLY bad like when it rains during a storm and the humidity shoots up. Speaking of which mine is so bad right now *sneezes*

Yeah, high humidity and lightning are supposed to make it worse.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I find when it starts raining my symptoms come on instantly, I think the rain disturbs all the pollen and sets me off.. I'm sure it should clear it a bit though.

Out of interest, what medication do you all use? I usually get the usual zirtek type crap off the doctor along with a Nasal Spray and possibly Eye Drops but I still sometimes get bad sneezy/runny nose.. I really want it to stop though it's hampering my life in the summer!

Is there anything super strong I can get?
  • Options
    I find when it starts raining my symptoms come on instantly, I think the rain disturbs all the pollen and sets me off.. I'm sure it should clear it a bit though.

Out of interest, what medication do you all use? I usually get the usual zirtek type crap off the doctor along with a Nasal Spray and possibly Eye Drops but I still sometimes get bad sneezy/runny nose.. I really want it to stop though it's hampering my life in the summer!

Is there anything super strong I can get?

i'm like that
    i take tablets, nasal spra (two kinds), eye drops, paracetamol (cos get stuffy thumpin head) also got an in haler cos I get a bad cough with it too, I've heard local honey is supposed to be good
  • Options
    Local honey is really good, you have to chew the honeycomb as well though. It works because it uses the local pollen that you react to, and so eating the honey made from it helps you to build up a resistance to it. You need to eat and awful lot of it though, pretty much all through the summer, rather than just once or twice.
  • Options
    usually better but im sneezing now with my window open :/
  • Options
    hayfever

hi..

just to let you all know there's a forum dedicated to hayfever sufferers everywhere. Its at http://www.hayfeverforum.co.uk

thanks,

jon
  • Options
    hey jon - best to ask a mod before you advertise your site.

Here's our article on the subject too

;)