Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Too close a relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can you get too close to a pet? I've got a dog, just an old affectionate mongrel called Bodger, and we've been together for 6 years. I love him dearly and he loves me. I don't have much of a social life, in fact virtually none.
I'm afraid that if anything happens to Bodger my world will fall apart.

Comments

• Options
    well as long as you don't shag with it, there is nothing wrong in loving a pet... it will be hard if you lose him, but you will be strong enough to get over it... love for pet can be a great deal in the heart of the owner...
  • Options
    nothing wrong with loving your pet to bits. I think people are often closer to their dog than their friends. You live with him, you talk to him, he never judges you, hes always happy to see you. Youre his world. Of COURSE youd be devastated if anything happened to him, but you know it will happen one day and you will be devastated, but youll also get over it.
  • Options
    I totally agree with SCC, there are so many qualities to dogs that make them seem preferable to humans... (another one is that they don't answer back) and often they're highly intelligent so you almost feel as though they're human -- or at least an extremely sentient being. So I think it's perfectly natural that the bond between man and dog has the potential to be a very strong one. They don't call them man's best friend for no reason, they really very often are!

As for anything happening to Bodger (adorable name, by the way!), every pet owner has to face that prospect at some point and it's a very harsh truth. Just enjoy the years still to come with your hound, as SCC said you may well be devastated when your dog dies but you will get over it... and you'll have had a cracking time with him to look back at fondly. This advice is so easy to say and probably not quite so easy to follow, I know I'll be crushed when our dog dies. But feel lucky that you've got a lovely dog to shower with affection, it warms the cockles of my 'eart, it does. :):D
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Can you get too close to a pet? I've got a dog, just an old affectionate mongrel called Bodger, and we've been together for 6 years. I love him dearly and he loves me. I don't have much of a social life, in fact virtually none.

So this is why you bought that sex doll off e-bay? :chin:
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    I'm the same with all pets we've had. To me, animals are much better than people, I care so much more for them. Some people are animal lovers, some arent. You do need a bit of ur own life though.
  • Options
    i have a dog and honestly he is the thing that i love most in the world, probably on line with my mum and my best mate.

if i lost him i really cant imagine how crushed i would be. but then isnt it better to have had that friendship and companionship for a while even though it doesnt last for ever than to not have had it at all?
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:

There's something really surreal about your posts, but funny at the same time.
  • Options
    I love my dog, and my rabbit. I feel guilty leaving them at home when I go work etc. but it's not daft, because they'll give you this unconditional love, that you can't get from people. You can have been in a really shitty mood all day and been a complete arse.... but they wont argue they'll come and cuddle you :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    thats what i thought!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    :lol:
  • Options
    Can I just say I've got a golden retreiver, she's very ill at the moment and all of my family is very upset. A dog is a member of the family, just like any other human member of the family and you should love them just as much. I know when my dog dies, I will be totally devistated and I know the house would be seem so empty and quiet without her. Make the most of them, because they wont be around forever.

P.S a tip is to get another dog, like a puppy, so not only does your current dog have some company, but when your dog eventually passes away, you'll have other one to confort you.
  • Options
    I don't wanna sound nasty but a dogs a dog. It doesn't love you, it likes you because you provide it with food and a nice place to sleep.

They're animals. They don't think like humans and anyone that thinks they do needs their heads seen to.

As you can tell i'm not an animal lover!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I don't wanna sound nasty but a dogs a dog. It doesn't love you, it likes you because you provide it with food and a nice place to sleep.

They're animals. They don't think like humans and anyone that thinks they do needs their heads seen to.

As you can tell i'm not an animal lover!

Actually you are totally wrong. I understand where your coming from, and its that many less intelligent animals like cats dont love you, the case is totally different with dogs. A dogs loves you, feels affection for you, they have been known to save their owners lives or follow them to the end. They are loyal and devoted and would stay with you and love even if you starved them and took away there home. Dogs have been known to die of depression when taken from their owner and given to someone else, who looks after them just as well.
    You need to understand that humans may be very intelligent and have complex emotions but there are many animals on this earth that feel pretty much all the same emotions and things as humans however they simply lack in intelligence compared. For example animals like elephants, primates, dolphins and ofcourse dogs. Its obvious that you dont have a dog or alteast dont know much about them, but you are very wrong in what you say. Not to sound nasty, but dont make sweeping statements about things you obviously dont understand.
  • Options
    Actually you are totally wrong. I understand where your coming from, and its that many less intelligent animals like cats dont love you, the case is totally different with dogs. A dogs loves you, feels affection for you, they have been known to save their owners lives or follow them to the end. They are loyal and devoted and would stay with you and love even if you starved them and took away there home. Dogs have been known to die of depression when taken from their owner and given to someone else, who looks after them just as well.
    You need to understand that humans may be very intelligent and have complex emotions but there are many animals on this earth that feel pretty much all the same emotions and things as humans however they simply lack in intelligence compared. For example animals like elephants, primates, dolphins and ofcourse dogs. Its obvious that you dont have a dog or alteast dont know much about them, but you are very wrong in what you say. Not to sound nasty, but dont make sweeping statements about things you obviously dont understand.

Good post. I totally agree.
  • Options
    dogs actually love their owners (when they are good owner) more than they love themselves...
  • Options
    My dog loves me. It sounds a bit arrogant but it's true. He can get food from anywher e(and does!) not necessarily from me. But he'll sit with me when I'm ill, dance with me when I'm mental.... and kissed (licked) me for passing my theory test! :)
  • Options

Your right.

There is no way on this earth i would ever have a dog. Or a cat. Or a rabbit for that matter. Actually any animal.

Obviously i still think animal cruelty an stuff is bad but i just can't seem to understand why anyone gets so attached to an animal. People that treat them like they are they're babies are bit skewy if you ask me.
  • Options
    It's most definitely possible to have an affectionate relationship with your dog without being one of those pet owners who babies their animal, feeds it human food, wraps it in blankets etc etc. I, myself, don't like that and think it's really important to remember that a dog is an animal and needs to keep its inherent animalistic traits. That's partly the reason I hate it when people dress their dogs up in outfits and shoes, deeply unnatural.

My dog is as much a part of the family as any other member, but we still recognise that she's a dog and not a human being and she is treated as such - but always with kindness.

I think it's really beautiful - and definitely not unhealthy - when you see people in the park or out on country walks with their dog... both obviously getting a lot of enjoyment out of the other's company. That's definitely something you get out of owning a dog - and something my boyfriend mentioned the other day - they get such joy out of the tiny things you do for them like taking them on a walk, giving them a treat. People on the other hand are never easily pleased.

Meh, I guess it's really something you could only understand if you'd experienced it. As someone said upthread, some people are animal lovers and some will never understand the appeal of it :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's most definitely possible to have an affectionate relationship with your dog without being one of those pet owners who babies their animal, feeds it human food, wraps it in blankets etc etc. I, myself, don't like that and think it's really important to remember that a dog is an animal and needs to keep its inherent animalistic traits. That's partly the reason I hate it when people dress their dogs up in outfits and shoes, deeply unnatural.

My dog is as much a part of the family as any other member, but we still recognise that she's a dog and not a human being and she is treated as such - but always with kindness.

I think it's really beautiful - and definitely not unhealthy - when you see people in the park or out on country walks with their dog... both obviously getting a lot of enjoyment out of the other's company. That's definitely something you get out of owning a dog - and something my boyfriend mentioned the other day - they get such joy out of the tiny things you do for them like taking them on a walk, giving them a treat. People on the other hand are never easily pleased.

Meh, I guess it's really something you could only understand if you'd experienced it. As someone said upthread, some people are animal lovers and some will never understand the appeal of it :)

Good post.
    I must say that I would never go out with a women who didnt like animals. I think people who dont like animals are misguided, maybe its becuase they havent grown up with them, or arent used to them, which is understandable, but someome who simply doesnt like them, is to me, an indication that their personality lacks compassion. I'm just glad that i'm not like that.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:

And men don't say 'I love you' to women just so that they can sleep with them? At least with a dog, you can be almost 100% sure of the commitment. ;)
  • Options
    Good post.
    I must say that I would never go out with a women who didnt like animals. I think people who dont like animals are misguided, maybe its becuase they havent grown up with them, or arent used to them, which is understandable, but someome who simply doesnt like them, is to me, an indication that their personality lacks compassion. I'm just glad that i'm not like that.

I don't lack compassion, i just have no desire to befriend something that smells and leaves hair everywhere.
  • Options
    Is eating dog food with your dog an acceptable bonding ritual?
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Is eating dog food with your dog an acceptable bonding ritual? Its actually quite tasty.

Troll!
  • Options
    Yes I agree fully.
    I have no respect for people that don't appreciate other lives. At the end of the day, we're all fucking animals trying to make the best out of life. If you think you are better than the other living creatures on this plant, then you really need your head seeing too!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Yes I agree fully.
    I have no respect for people that don't appreciate other lives. At the end of the day, we're all fucking animals trying to make the best out of life. If you think you are better than the other living creatures on this plant, then you really need your head seeing too!

Yep.
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Is eating dog food with your dog an acceptable bonding ritual?

I think it would be best to share your food with the dog, believe me the dog will be more than fucking happy...