Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Digital Cameras

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm looking into buying one.

I don't know anything about them though so need you guys to help me out :blush:

My budget (at most) is about £100

Helpppppp meeeeeee :p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This one, under £100 which leaves you some moolah to buy a bigger memory card, which you will need. 16mb at 4 megapix will give you about 10 photos, go for a 256mb which will give you hundreds.
  • Options
    For a bit more cash (like twice as much) you could get a significantly better camera, but hey-ho.

Can't really moan too much about the one that KHSS has suggested for the price.

Get a copy of What Camera and check the buyer's guides.
  • Options
    Nowt wrong with Fuji.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    For a bit more cash (like twice as much) you could get a significantly better camera, but hey-ho.

I agree. You can pay a lot for the lense and sensor in the camera. £100 is the very cheap end. Its like an extra 100 or so will make all the difference between crap and good. By paying a little more you'll get a rechargable battery and better electronics.

Like KHSS says, make sure you buy a good sized memory card, atleast 128mb or better yet 256. I've owned a Fuji, never had a problem. So the camera that was suggested above seems ok for a budget. But remember it doesn't come with a rechargable battery, and its pretty big compared to todays standards.
  • Options
    Thing is, a budget is a budget. It's no good saying, for twice as much you can get this, because she can't, she has a budget of £100. 4mp is plenty, as is a 3x optical zoom for what she wants.
  • Options
    Thing is, a budget is a budget. It's no good saying, for twice as much you can get this, because she can't, she has a budget of £100. 4mp is plenty, as is a 3x optical zoom for what she wants.

I understand your point. I was just thinking that batteries are probably going to add more costs.

The camera you suggested will probably come in at about £130 after buying batteries and a memory card. Which is pretty good.
  • Options
    It takes AA, I just use rechargeable AA batteries in mine, last fine, no problems.

However ... my new camera (that I'm not allowed until my birthday :grump: ) is proving tricky ... it takes CR-V3 batteries, can you get rechargeable ones of these? I'm buggered if I'm spending £4 a time on a battery for it. Also, CR-V3 is the shape of 2 AAs, am I going to kill my camera if I put them in?
  • Options
    Probably not. You may find that they don't work 'out-of-the-box' - with the two batteries side by side, the bottom terminals need to be bridged to complete the circuit for the power source.

If your camera only supports the CR-V3 battery then it may be missing the means to complete the circuit - you'd have to make your own :).
  • Options
    Probably not. You may find that they don't work 'out-of-the-box' - with the two batteries side by side, the bottom terminals need to be bridged to complete the circuit for the power source.

If your camera only supports the CR-V3 battery then it may be missing the means to complete the circuit - you'd have to make your own :).

Trust YOU to bloody know all about batteries - is there anyhting you can't know about? :p

As for the camera, I don't know if it's still there, but Tesco had one in a while back for £40.00, reduced from £60.00 ( but I tink it might have gone back up now). It seems to be haunting the place, but its good, I can't remember the specifics til I can nick Chris's off him again - but it's suitable for his graphics course so it can't be crap. As far as I can tell as well (from fiddling) as long as you don't set it on a ridiculously high pixel setting for your photos, the memorys damn good too. Worth checking out :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Trust YOU to bloody know all about batteries - is there anyhting you can't know about? :p

I know nothing about batteries. My last post is pure speculation, based on the images and specifications I could find for a CR-V3 :).
  • Options
    http://www.tesco.com/electrical/product.aspx?R=8289059&bci=362|Digital%20Cameras*4294967205|Silver

I think by the looks of it, that's it. Or at least very similar. But that's a good deal in anycase as far as I can see :)
  • Options
    I was going to buy that Fuji once...

But I did what the people here have been sujesting, stretched my budget and went for a Nikon CoolPix S2

Its very nice! I would highly recommend it!
  • Options
    http://www.tesco.com/electrical/product.aspx?R=8220927&bci=362|Digital%20Cameras*4294967205|Silver*10|£50%20-%20£75

Just thought I'd point out I saqw this one on there too. It's a bit more, but still in your budget. My limited knowledge can't tell you whether it's any good or not though :)
  • Options
    This one, under £100 which leaves you some moolah to buy a bigger memory card, which you will need. 16mb at 4 megapix will give you about 10 photos, go for a 256mb which will give you hundreds.

Just bought that one myself. Does the job nicely :thumb: :) cant say photos taken in the dark / with flash are excellent unfortunately, but its a point and shoot camera. Cost me £60 off eBay.
  • Options

100 pounds is the budget now. The point that I was trying to make is that, by saving more, you could invest in a much better product overall.

If all that is wanted is a very basic, automatic, point and shoot camera for party type shots, then I guess any of the ones suggested so far would "do".
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I'm looking into buying one.

I don't know anything about them though so need you guys to help me out :blush:

My budget (at most) is about £100

Helpppppp meeeeeee :p

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=3159&CategoryID=16&SubCategoryID=

Minolta_Dimage_e500.jpg
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    100 pounds is the budget now. The point that I was trying to make is that, by saving more, you could invest in a much better product overall.

If all that is wanted is a very basic, automatic, point and shoot camera for party type shots, then I guess any of the ones suggested so far would "do".
    Oh ok, fair enough :) I didn't realise you meant waiting and saving for one.
  • Options
    Right, hopefully you haven't bought one yet but anyway, I would HIGHLY recommend a Sony Cybershot. They really are fantastic cameras!

I am not just talking because it's nice to point a click either. Having higher megapixels doesn't mean shit about the quality if the camera has got a cheapo lense. All the sony range come with the designer Carl Zeuss lenses, these are professional grade and make excellent pictures. Also the response time is something that I look for on a camera. i.e. on most of those cameras you turn it on and press the button and get like a 3 or 4 second delay to the pic being taken. With the S40 you can go from cold to a pic taken in about 1.8 secs and taken 5 photos in under 7 seconds, another thing I like is to be able to snap snap snap!

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/331935/prices

£80 on pricerunner, and it's a great camera! I just upgraded to it's big brother the s-600 which again is an awesome camera. The battery life is fantastic, I do use rechargeables but it even came with a set of AA batteries that lasted days!

If you need to get a MEM card for it get a cheap one off ebay or aria :thumb: