Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

South America

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Reading the nationalisation of Bolivian oil thread, I started wondering...

What are your opinions on the best way for South America to develop? (ie: overcome poverty, raise the standards of health, education, and general life standards.., etc.)

I'm curious... post your views!

Comments

• Options
    I think it needs more leaders like Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Pinochet, real men who hate blacks, women and jews, yayyyyyyyyyy! :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think it needs more leaders like Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Pinochet, real men who hate blacks, women and jews, yayyyyyyyyyy! :p
    many of em tried that, didn't work out so well.....
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Reading the nationalisation of Bolivian oil thread, I started wondering...

What are your opinions on the best way for South America to develop? (ie: overcome poverty, raise the standards of health, education, and general life standards.., etc.)

I'm curious... post your views!
    I think the way things are turning are certainly the best way forward.

And if we could ensure no more foreign interference in the shape of sponsored death squads of coups d'etat, things could really take off. That's the reason they haven't so far anyway.
  • Options
    An end to the drug war in Europe and America. That would do more for South America than anything else.
  • Options
    Abolish cap.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    An end to the drug war in Europe and America. That would do more for South America than anything else.
    True enough.

Decriminalisation of cocaine would change South America for ever.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Abolish cap.

A straight and abrupt finish to the CAP would decimate farmers throughout the EU. That's not to say it shouldn't be changed though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    True enough.

Decriminalisation of cocaine would change South America for ever.

No it wouldn't nothing short of legal supply in the West would make any difference. But I have really really mixed feelings about legal supply.
  • Options
    Shame, then maybe there wouldnt be nonsense vegetable patches in France, over farmed land, ruined soil, distorted countryside useage etc. And maybe farmers in south america might be able to actually sell anything other than coca...
  • Options
    Sorry, you're right. I should have said full legalisation. And of course it'd have to be produced and distributed by governments themselves.

Imagine the shift in power if that were to happen.
  • Options
    This all presupposes that these left-wing regimes will survive for very long. I've no doubt that as we sit here posting now there are plans already in train whereby the CIA and its affiliates are plotting the death & destruction of these power-mad Marxist despotic leaders.

Return the oil to those who discovered, extracted, and marketed it, and don't allow it to be used as a revenue stream for the sponsorship of world-wide terrorism. Very little, if any, will be used for the benefit of the people of these countries who will be faced with years & years of anti-government insurgency wars that will obliterate the countryside & towns, destroying infrastructure, killing millions, and wreaking havoc on the economy.

South America is in for a very rough ride.
  • Options
    And of course it'd have to be produced and distributed by governments themselves

That is precisely who has been behind the production and distribution of it (the bulk of it at any rate) all along, Al. No"shift" in power would accrue from such an arrangement.
  • Options
    That is precisely who has been behind the production and distribution of it (the bulk of it at any rate) all along, Al. No"shift" in power would accrue from such an arrangement.

Its certainly not behind the production, which is in large part done by very poor farmers who have nothing else which they can produce.

The actual production of the cocaine from the 'base' is done by a mix of groups, some with governmental ties, others not. Largely its either FARC or the right-wing paramilitaries, only one of whom has ties with the government.

As for importation into the US market (the biggest) that's largely done by Mexican gangs now who arent really linked with the government they just buy it off.
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    This all presupposes that these left-wing regimes will survive for very long. I've no doubt that as we sit here posting now there are plans already in train whereby the CIA and its affiliates are plotting the death & destruction of these power-mad Marxist despotic leaders.

Return the oil to those who discovered, extracted, and marketed it, and don't allow it to be used as a revenue stream for the sponsorship of world-wide terrorism. Very little, if any, will be used for the benefit of the people of these countries who will be faced with years & years of anti-government insurgency wars that will obliterate the countryside & towns, destroying infrastructure, killing millions, and wreaking havoc on the economy.

South America is in for a very rough ride.
    :D

You're funny :)
  • Options
    Its going the right way at the moment. The Washington Consensus has been a miserable failure for underdeveloped third world countries in general...if they can hold a mixed economy and use their natural resources to better their infrastructure and manufacturing sector, I can see them becoming important economic players. With China and the USA both desperately scrambling for support in the region, the big bucks are coming in and long term investment in ending poverty and improving the economy like I mentioned above is the way to go.
  • Options
    importation into the US market (the biggest) that's largely done by Mexican gangs

By production I referred to the ensurance of continuation thereof, funding and essential "blind eye" policies which require only the occasional "big crackdown" for Mass media PR.

As for importation, hate to burst you illusion but the CIA far exceeds "mexican gangs" for shipment of product both into the country and into the inner cities. This is a well established and well documented fact.
  • Options
    By production I referred to the ensurance of continuation thereof, funding and essential "blind eye" policies which require only the occasional "big crackdown" for Mass media PR.

As for importation, hate to burst you illusion but the CIA far exceeds "mexican gangs" for shipment of product both into the country and into the inner cities. This is a well established and well documented fact.

But large chunks of production are done in areas of South America where the government cant control even if they wanted to, so they're not really turning a blind eye.

Illusion? Do you always have to have this tone, its as though you are constantly talking to a five year old. The CIA may indeed have a key role, that doesnt stop billions of drug money flooding Mexico and making it virtually a narco-democracy.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And of course it'd have to be produced and distributed by governments themselves.

whats up with established drug companies doing it ...people who know what they are doing?
    they already manufacture morphine heroin and cocain.
  • Options
    whats up with established drug companies doing it ...people who know what they are doing?
    they already manufacture morphine heroin and cocain.

Its not really related to the thread, but I dont think people want drug companies doing it because they dont trust them. I'd like to see recreational drugs produced under licence (like anti-biotics are now) and sold in a similar way to pharmacies work now.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:

End corruption.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not really related to the thread, but I dont think people want drug companies doing it because they dont trust them. I'd like to see recreational drugs produced under licence (like anti-biotics are now) and sold in a similar way to pharmacies work now.
    thats drug companies then ...they are already manufacturing cocaine heroin etc.
    theres no one else.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is developing quite nicley right now.

Let it as it is i say.
  • Options
    End corruption.
    How do you propose to do that?
  • Options
    I would just like to point out that any attempt to pin the problems and solutions on one 'magic bullet' would be an oversimplification.

The development of a whole continent obviously requires a vast array of complex and interlinking strategies...
  • Options
    south america is so full of goodies you can rest assured the USA will be keeping an eye on all that timber and oil and cocaine.