Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

scar reduction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had an accident today and needed to go to A&E - got a 2 inch long cut on my head - the doctor wanted to staple it - but I asked for whatever would leave the least scaring (long term)

So she got the nurse to use medical glue to bring the two halves of the skin together.

Any one had this done or got any tips?

They said no to get the glue wet for 5 days - can't imagine how I'll be able to wash my hair then for that time!!

Also any tips on things I can use or take to left the least sign of damage?

Any supplements, or topical stuff?

I ask the nurse about Zinc supplements and he said yes that'sa good idea, helps the skin to heal - anyone know of anything else?

I really don't want a scar where everyone can see it ... :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Vitamin E cream, sunlight. Someone suggested breaking open vitamin E supplement capsules and putting the liquid on the scar (this is all after it's healed, obv.)

Do a search, it's come up loads of times.
  • Options
    So she got the nurse to use medical glue to bring the two halves of the skin together.

Any one had this done or got any tips?

They said no to get the glue wet for 5 days - can't imagine how I'll be able to wash my hair then for that time!!

Also any tips on things I can use or take to left the least sign of damage?

Yeah, the glue is pretty much your household superglue. No, really. :) It doesn't like getting wet, as it'll start to degrade. After washing, apply another layer over the top to help keep the skin together in order to heal.

It probably will scar, unfortunately. I got a deep inch-long cut on my finger last year. Sorted it with superglue and it healed quickly - but it does scar. Less than having stitches, and it isn't really noticeable, but when the skin is properly borken like that, you'll almost always have some kind of mark where the heal took place.

Just leave it to heal. Messing around with it tends to make a bigger long-term mess than just leaving it to it. Skin tends to heal better, and with less long-term markings, when you're a youngster - which is good news for most peope on this board :).

I'm really not kidding about the superglue, by the way!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/business/a/superglue.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_glue#Medicine
  • Options
    Yeah, the glue is pretty much your household superglue. No, really. :) It doesn't like getting wet, as it'll start to degrade. After washing, apply another layer over the top to help keep the skin together in order to heal.

It probably will scar, unfortunately. I got a deep inch-long cut on my finger last year. Sorted it with superglue and it healed quickly - but it does scar. Less than having stitches, and it isn't really noticeable, but when the skin is properly borken like that, you'll almost always have some kind of mark where the heal took place.

Just leave it to heal. Messing around with it tends to make a bigger long-term mess than just leaving it to it. Skin tends to heal better, and with less long-term markings, when you're a youngster - which is good news for most peope on this board :).

I'm really not kidding about the superglue, by the way!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/business/a/superglue.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_glue#Medicine

I can't apply another layer - I aint got any glue - they just said keep it dry for minimum of 5 days

BTW do you have white flecks under your finger nails?
  • Options
    No, I have some oil under them from when my chain came off earlier. Why?

Superglue is dirt cheap - 50p a tube from my local motor factors. Pick up a tube of the cheapest :).
  • Options
    No, I have some oil under them from when my chain came off earlier. Why?

Superglue is dirt cheap - 50p a tube from my local motor factors. Pick up a tube of the cheapest :).

I mean in the section of nail that touches the skins... can't find any photos but see link .. if people don't have enough zinc in their system healing scars are usually more noticable.

http://ibscrohns.about.com/library/weekly/aa070501a.htm

Zinc is lost in the stool; deficiencies can occur in people with Crohn's disease who have chronic diarrhea. Zinc has several important functions in body, including the transport of vitamin A, the healing of wounds and more than 80 enzyme actions. It can be found in meat, eggs, oysters, and whole grains.

Symptoms of zinc deficiency include slow healing, weakness, white flecks in fingernails, and impaired senses of sight, taste, and smell. Zinc deficiency can also cause a condition known as acrodermatitis enteropathica. Acrodermatitis enteropathica results in the inflammation of the skin on the elbows, knees, cheeks, mouth, and anus that may look like a rash. Zinc deficiency is often treated with supplements.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you are just going to have to keep it dry. Look forward to washing your hair in 5 days time.

Unless you've got someone who can help and the right sort of bathroom sink, in which case if you lean back over it someone else can use a mug and pour the water over your head away from the wound, like they do in the hairdressers. Don't try and use the showerhead though, you will soak the glue.

Scarwise, once its healed over the top tip that the max-fax consultant(facial surgery) that my mum used to work with was to keep a jar of nivea with you and rub it in lots. One day she asked why, answer was Nivea was the only moisturiser type cream he had heard of. Basically massaging anything into it gently, or even nothing at all, just rubbing it with your hand will help it heal well by stimulating the circulation.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you are just going to have to keep it dry. Look forward to washing your hair in 5 days time.

Unless you've got someone who can help and the right sort of bathroom sink, in which case if you lean back over it someone else can use a mug and pour the water over your head away from the wound, like they do in the hairdressers. Don't try and use the showerhead though, you will soak the glue.

Scarwise, once its healed over the top tip that the max-fax consultant(facial surgery) that my mum used to work with was to keep a jar of nivea with you and rub it in lots. One day she asked why, answer was Nivea was the only moisturiser type cream he had heard of. Basically massaging anything into it gently, or even nothing at all, just rubbing it with your hand will help it heal well by stimulating the circulation.

I'm in a 3D chat room and there's a nurse there and she basically said the same exact thing .. is that you??

Anyway she said the key is to keep it constantly moustirised and stay OUT of the sun (i.e. indoor / under a hat)
  • Options
    Depending on where your scar is, can't you just cover it with a plaster or something similar when you're washing your hair?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Depending on where your scar is, can't you just cover it with a plaster or something similar when you're washing your hair?
    It would have to be 100% waterproof. My friend's head was glued back together after he fell down Warren St. escalator and he couldn't wash his hair for days. I laughed. But only because he didn't get properly hurt, I was the poor sod who was with him for 3 hours on Valentine's Day and it was his own fault for being drunk...
  • Options
    Get some body to wash your hair for u when you hold something over it x
  • Options
    Just don't wash your hair. Weigh it up - have minging hair for a bit and a scar that heals well, or mess about with the glue and risk it not healing properly.
  • Options
    Its not me! But if your getting the same story from two completely seperate medical backgrounds then its likely to be good advice!
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    It would have to be 100% waterproof. My friend's head was glued back together after he fell down Warren St. escalator and he couldn't wash his hair for days. I laughed. But only because he didn't get properly hurt, I was the poor sod who was with him for 3 hours on Valentine's Day and it was his own fault for being drunk...

Ouch.

Don't wash your hair. In terms of reducing the visibility of the scar - splitting Vitamin E capsules like piccolo mentioned is an excellent way of reducing scarring... though obviously you can't begin to do that for a while.
  • Options
    Just don't wash your hair. Weigh it up - have minging hair for a bit and a scar that heals well, or mess about with the glue and risk it not healing properly.

Yeah I plan to go without washing for as long as possible but my hair is crap now anyway cos it was covered in blood that was patted down with a damp towel (s not much there), but my hair is black so you can't tell!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Small scars on men add charactor anyway, keep it, it will make you look ever so slightly dangerous.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Vitamin E cream, sunlight. Someone suggested breaking open vitamin E supplement capsules and putting the liquid on the scar (this is all after it's healed, obv.)

Do a search, it's come up loads of times.

:yes: I used vitamin E capsules on wounds after an accident years and years ago that would not heal.

They worked a treat and I've been left with no scars.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    :yes: I used vitamin E capsules on wounds after an accident years and years ago that would not heal.

They worked a treat and I've been left with no scars.

As every one has said Vitamin E capsules! Give it two or three weeks for the skin to close first then use it evry day for amonth and you should se an improvement. You cant always totally heal them but it does help with the worst of it. I use to do it a lot on my self-harm scars and have very few of them becasue of it.
  • Options
    I got a whole load of stuff frm Holland & Barret today.

Zinc Tablets
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin E capsule
    E45 cream.
    and something called Bio-Oil which you're supposed to use after the skin has healed to reduce the scar and contains vitamin A & E.

Not much I can do fromt he outside yet as there's still medical glue holding me together

But thought I can at least start taking supplements to help healing from the inside out.

Also got lots of fresh fruit and stuff like that to eat.
  • Options
    If you can't be arsed to open the vit-e capsules, go to a health food shop (or something similar) you can buy bottles of vit-e oil which i've found helps sooooo much! x