Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another sensible bit of advice from Rich: don't electrocute yourself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had an encounter with mains electricity last night. Just a warning that it does hurt a lot! I've got blisters on my skin now. Luckily I'm completely fine. I picked up an extension lead (in the dark) to plug my phone charger in. However, the plastic casing of the extension lead had been damaged, and whereas my fingers went under, my apposable thumb went on top... right across the wires completing the circuit. Queue a feeling like my thumb is being crushed in a vice, half a second later me going 'ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!' (you get the idea anyway :p), and another half a second later dropping it.

I've been shocked before, but mains electricity is something else :( don't do it folks!

Have a good day now :)

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I've done something simillar before. I still have the scar where it melted a hole in my finger.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Yes, I've done something simillar before. I still have the scar where it melted a hole in my finger.

:(

mains electricity = bad

mine wasnt that bad, I've just got two small blisters now (about the size of pinheads). Hurt a lot though :(
  • Options
    :(

mains electricity = bad

mine wasnt that bad, I've just got two small blisters now (about the size of pinheads). Hurt a lot though :(

awww you daft tattie, glad your ok now. I have a shock from an electirc fence once and that hurt a bit!
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    awww you daft tattie, glad your ok now. I have a shock from an electirc fence once and that hurt a bit!

My girlfriend has horses and has an electric fence, that does make you jump a bit :). I used to play and grab the fence then my girlfriend to give her a shock. The way hers was set up is that it gives out a pulse every 2 seconds or so like a strong static shock really. She turns it off now though cos the horses dont really bother with it :p
  • Options
    My brother was climbing over an electric fence. He got one leg over then slipped...
  • Options
    if electricity is made by electrons ...how about morality?
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    My brother was climbing over an electric fence. He got one leg over then slipped...
    Well the only major run in I had with electricuting myself was, Fence, Camping, Bush, Peeing,

I think people can put 1 + 1 together.
  • Options
    I plugged in a plug with no plastic cover on the back. Needless to say light tingling wasn't really the word...

I don't understand why it takes you so long to take your hand away though, its strange.
  • Options
    I think it changes with AC and DC, DC keeps you held back and AC throws you away, or something like that.
  • Options
    I electrocuted Myself once.

It involed Myself, a wet spunge, a sink with water and a kettle. :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
  • Options
    I electrocuted Myself once.

It involed Myself, a wet spunge, a sink with water and a kettle. :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Finally back mate, where the fuck where you?
  • Options
    Puter broke.
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    been there done that, it really hurt
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Had an encounter with mains electricity last night. Just a warning that it does hurt a lot! I've got blisters on my skin now. Luckily I'm completely fine. I picked up an extension lead (in the dark) to plug my phone charger in. However, the plastic casing of the extension lead had been damaged, and whereas my fingers went under, my apposable thumb went on top... right across the wires completing the circuit. Queue a feeling like my thumb is being crushed in a vice, half a second later me going 'ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!' (you get the idea anyway :p), and another half a second later dropping it.

I've been shocked before, but mains electricity is something else :( don't do it folks!

Have a good day now :)
    Ow...
    Good think you were able to drop it! The way I had heard it 220 volts is inevitable death if no one is around to pull you away!
    I guess that wasn't entirely true then...
  • Options
    I got electricuted at work a few weeks ago. was weird becuase I heard the scream before I realised it was me that did it! Fucking majorly weird feeling......
  • Options
    Ow...
    Good think you were able to drop it! The way I had heard it 220 volts is inevitable death if no one is around to pull you away!
    I guess that wasn't entirely true then...
    it's not the volts what kills ya ...it's the amps.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I have experienced the mains three times. Lucky I am still alive.

Trust me, take care... I do take alot more care now. :(
  • Options
    Never done that myself, but a few years ago I was walking down some steps in town and got an electric shock.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well whichever it is. As far as I knew if you get connected directly to a wall socket there's no way to let go before you die unless someone pulls you away with plastic or something else that electricity can't pass through.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    I plugged in a plug with no plastic cover on the back. Needless to say light tingling wasn't really the word...

I don't understand why it takes you so long to take your hand away though, its strange.
    Because your muscles cramp up. Nerves control your muscles through electrical impulses, when you get an electric shock it messes up the communication and you can't move properly/at all.
  • Options

yep... that's why those teezer thing can go up to 10,000Volts without killing the guy... must be a weird feeling tho... fucking 10,000Volts...
  • Options
    yep... that's why those teezer thing can go up to 10,000Volts without killing the guy... must be a weird feeling tho... fucking 10,000Volts...

I made a good old camera flash taser.

Fuck they hurt ;(

And Indrid - Not done a wall socket, but I have managed to get off of an old AT pc switch that I shorted (twice, doh!), and a switch in a mains wire.

I dunno how, I a remember is my body muslces all going tense and I had no control. Fuck it was odd.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I made a good old camera flash taser.

Fuck they hurt ;(

I did the fucking same... big minds think alike... :D

It hurted as well... even tried it on metal it even melted some metal on impact...

I used to use it on my class mate too... was good fun... fucking easy to do too...
  • Options
    I got an electric shock off the mains at my boyfriend's house... his bedroom light switch has an electric socket just beneath it and I accidently reached for the wrong one (in the dark). I screamed, it hurt like hell.
  • Options
    I did the fucking same... big minds think alike... :D

It hurted as well... even tried it on metal it even melted some metal on impact...

I used to use it on my class mate too... was good fun... fucking easy to do too...
    :thumb: Hahaha.

It burnt me. Damn thing.

Does this make us physcos...?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :thumb: Hahaha.

It burnt me. Damn thing.

Does this make us physcos...?

That among other things you mean ;)
  • Options
    Electric fences are bad enough for me, I dont fancy getting a mains shock.