Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Electric bills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much do you pay roughly and how often?

Reason i ask is since we moved in 7 months ago we haven't had a bill and after much being passed around we finally got powergen to find out that they have cocked up and will be sending us an estimated bill for 7 months.
I am just wondering how much roughly to expect the bill to be. I know you can't tell me exactly but if i knew averages i culd at least get an idea. I forget what we paid in old houses!

Comments

• Options
    I pay 25-30 a month. My heating is gas though. Do you know what the electric reading was when you moved in? And what it is now? Powergen must publish their rates so you could work out exactly what it will be... Do you have power hungry apps? like a tumble dryer?
  • Options
    I reckon we probably pay about 60 quid a month for electricity and gas, but it's on some crazy direct debit scheme where we get refunds so who knows...

At that rate, it would be around four hundred quid, but I reckon it'd be rather crap of them to expect immediate payment.
  • Options
    we pay about £130 a quarter, but that's for gas and electricity combined.
  • Options
    Yours seems cheap Kaff. There are two adults in your house right? Do you have central heating? Do you particularly try to keep the bills low? Who you with?

Is it true that it cost 50p to boil a kettle. My old dear yelled this at me the other day- now I'm paranoid about making a cup of tea...
  • Options
    Electric bills fucking cost me a fortune! At point I was paying 40 per month just for electric but I started sorting out the lights being off and that type of stuff

Plus my cooker is electric
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Yours seems cheap Kaff. There are two adults in your house right? Do you have central heating? Do you particularly try to keep the bills low? Who you with?

yep, there are two adults. we have gas central heating, but the house warms up really quickly, so we don't need it on for long unless it's really chilly, and because we're out all day in the week, even in the winter we only really have it on for a couple of hours in the evening.

we don't make a massive effort to keep bills down, apart from stuff like not leaving lights on, and we don't have a tumble drier, which saves a bit.

we're with powergen, and on some kind of special online rate, which saves us a bit more money :thumb:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I pay 25-30 a month. My heating is gas though. Do you know what the electric reading was when you moved in? And what it is now? Powergen must publish their rates so you could work out exactly what it will be... Do you have power hungry apps? like a tumble dryer?

We do know both readings but told powergen (for several reasons)that we didn't have the reading for when we moved in, but you know if they estimate the wrong way we will find them ;).

We don't have a tumble dryer or anything but the cooker is electric. Only gas we have is for the heating and water.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    At that rate, it would be around four hundred quid, but I reckon it'd be rather crap of them to expect immediate payment.

I hope its not that much. I think in the old house we paid £25 a month for electric so the other half says. ETA but that was with a different supplier.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    bugger I didnt realise electric was sooo much - everything in my house is electric :(

aaand I still havent had an electric bill (I've lived here for 13 months too ooo eck!

Bloody hell, did you not think to call them?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I hope its not that much. I think in the old house we paid £25 a month for electric so the other half says. ETA but that was with a different supplier.

I didn't read your post properly - the 4 hundred would be both electricity and gas, so you could halve it.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I didn't read your post properly - the 4 hundred would be both electricity and gas, so you could halve it.

Well our quarterly gas just came in at £70 which i thought wasn't bad as the heatings been on loads until recently.
    You nearly gave me a heart attack at £400 lol
  • Options
    we spend about £200/£300 a quater on gas and electricity combined
  • Options
    My bills are included in my rent. :hyper:
  • Options
    4 of us in the house here, Scottish Power, Gas and Electric on a quarterly direct debit have come out at £308 for one quarter (3 months up to xmas) and the quarter after that was £427.
  • Options
    I'd expect 7 months bills to be about £200-£300, to be honest.

I also wouldn't chase utility bills that hard either. I'm still waiting for a utility bill for the old flat we left six months ago- I've chased it three times, I'm not chasing it again, mostly because I despise nPower.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd expect 7 months bills to be about £200-£300, to be honest.

I also wouldn't chase utility bills that hard either. I'm still waiting for a utility bill for the old flat we left six months ago- I've chased it three times, I'm not chasing it again, mostly because I despise nPower.

The only reason we are chasing is the money we have for it won't be there for long and well i don't want a huge bill even further down the line and not be able to pay it.
  • Options
    They couldn't insist on full and immediate payment anyway.

Bearing in mind that, AFAIK, they have a statutory requirement to bill promptly and correctly.
  • Options
    You'd have to check, I don't think they can if they don't present a bill for a long time, but I don't know how long a long time is.

ETA: a long time is two years at present, and will drop to one year from 2007, if the supplier is at fault fior the non-production of a bill.
  • Options
    Mine is 60 - 70 a quarter all inc.
    I am in a fully electric flat and live alone. But you know what boys are like leaving the lights / pc / tv etc on :p
  • Options
    Well its come in way over estimated at £236 and we have used lots less than that, he guessed it would be about £140 so i am well chuffed. This does however take into account that thier estimate for when we moved in is 500 units estimated in our favour ;).

We aren't that good (i say we i mean Chris) at switching things off either.
  • Options
    Last year I had a key thingy for electricity and we paid about £22 a month on average. We were two adults sharing. Had an electric oven and a washing machine but no tumble dryer (they push it right up). Heating was gas central heating but we hardly ever needed it as our block of flats was always really hot.

This year I'm in halls again so no bills :D
  • Options
    Yeah the worst thing for me is I got an electric cooker and I eat 6 times a day, plus if the baby has meals prepared in between that! lol

Tumbles driers are really though!

I used the MoneySavingExpert article to have a read then used the Energyhelpine switching link on it and switched mine, saved over £100 a year and got £12.50 cash back, result! :D

Time to Switch!