Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right, I've just been to hospital and was diagnosed with tenosynovitis of the foot on my right foot, given crutches and told not to weight-bear. And I also severely sprained my ankle 2/3 weeks ago on the left, so I'm stuck with 2 useless legs for the moment.

What I'd like to know is, how can I burn calories without using my legs? (no dirty suggestions please!!) Is there any form of exercise that I could do at home to burn a few cals? (my gym subscription has now been frozen as a result of today's preceedings!)

Ta, Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Can you not use your legs at all or just feet.

Maybe swimming?

Or you could unsuspend the gym membership and go on the arm ergometer. Its a retarded machine but its cardio all the same.

Or also at the gym you could do some stretching to warm up and do some weight machines. You are sitting and not using your legs for those.
  • Options
    Ohhhh... I feel for you- that must hurt!
    Swimming is good, as it is taking weight off your legs. Can't hnoestly think of anything else!
  • Options
    Can you use a stationery bike? would that still put too much weight on the foot? it's touch to do cardio without use of your legs. they burn the most calories. Anything with your arms will work, like that ergometer mentioned above. You could also do stuff like dips and pullups and stuff, but, that's not really cardio.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Or you could unsuspend the gym membership and go on the arm ergometer. Its a retarded machine but its cardio all the same..
    :yes: Twas just going to mention that.

That machine is so boring though.
  • Options
    What I'd like to know is, how can I burn calories without using my legs?
    well... you can burn about 1400kcals/day by doing nothing at all other than being alive... but you can always exercise your arms instead... :)
  • Options
    monty wrote:
    Can you use a stationery bike? would that still put too much weight on the foot? it's touch to do cardio without use of your legs. they burn the most calories. Anything with your arms will work, like that ergometer mentioned above. You could also do stuff like dips and pullups and stuff, but, that's not really cardio.
    Nope, can't weight bear on my right foot and my left ankle is too painful to be used as the 'main leg' lol.

Also, my gym doesn't have an arm ergometer :no:

I think I'm screwed for the next few weeks...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Give us a few details of the exercise to do sitting down then bacon- that would be helpful.
  • Options
    One that I can think of is to sit on a chair that doesn't have obstructie arms, like a dining room chair. Get two cans of beans, or bottles of water, one in each hand. With palms facing inwards towards each the dangled by the side of your body lean to one side and then back up for a set, then switch and do the other side.

With the same set up. Riase both arms above your head shoulder width apart. Bend your arms at the elbows slowly so that your hands go towards the back of your shoulders and your elbows stay pointing to the ceiling. Raise your arms back up so that hands point to cieiling. That one works your bat wings.

Same set up. With or wthout weights, keeping shoulders loose relaxed and down in their natural position, extend your arms so that they are horizontal with the floor, your palms should be facing the floor. You can either hold them completely still (what are these static exercises called- there's a 'proper' name for them?) OR you can move your arms in tiny little circles.

Same set up with or without baked bean weights. Do the rowing machine action to firm up your pecs.

Using weights will burn more calories and building muscle will enable your resting metablic rate to be higher, therby burning more calries just by existing as the ratio for cals for fat:muscle is 1:30 (I think).

A website I like for telling you how much your natural resting metabolic rate is and how much your daily exercises will expend and how much you should roughly be eating each day is fitday.com. It works out stuff from your age/weight/height and when I joined it was free, think it still is. It's good coz you can change the details whenever, like if you hurt yourself and your daily walaround rate is lower etc. There is also a journal space so that you can write up your activities.
  • Options
    Some weight exercises I can think of that you could do sitting / lying down -

Dumbell press
    Dumbell flies
    Bench Press
    Concentration curls
    Military / Shoulder press
    Rowing ( may not be suitable in this case )
    Seated bench press
    Incline dumbell press
    Wrist Curls

Non-weight exercises -

Sit-ups
    Crunches
    Back raises

Could probably do ball work too.

If you don't know the exercises, google them.

Swimming probably still best overall though.
  • Options
    A good site that explains exercixes and has little video clips of them is fitrex