Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

starting uni when ur 20/21

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello
has anyone done this? Did you find it hard or are you glad you decided to go?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I will be starting university in September, and I'll still be 21 then. I'm glad I'm going, but nervous as hell.
  • Options
    I repeated a year at school, and my birthdays in September so I am one of the olsdest in my class (Im 20) doesn't matter at all. I joke about being an aul'wan.
  • Options
    I was 19 (nearly 20) when I started at UCL. Plenty of people are older than this. I wouldn't worry about your age!
  • Options
    I started at a new uni this year and im 20. To be honest, it makes no difference. There are people at uni of all ages, many are older than 20/21. If you're at the right place, doing the course thats right for you and are willing to make the effort with people and join in with things, you'll be absolutely fine.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tbh, I think you will find a lot that are 20/21. By the time a lot of people have done gap years and taken time out of education they turn 21. It isn't that old to be starting.
  • Options
    Tbh, I think you will find a lot that are 20/21. By the time a lot of people have done gap years and taken time out of education they turn 21. It isn't that old to be starting.
    I've asked countless people over the last few months about the question of age. To many, it makes no difference whatsoever. I suspect people would only react if they bragged about their age and how it makes them "superior" to everyone else. That would get on anyone's tits.
  • Options
    to be honest, i never really bother asking people how old they are... it makes no difference.
  • Options
    I started university at 20. Wasn't really an issue unless you made it one. Most folk in my class were 19 anyway because you needed to do a foundation year on top of A-Levels to get in in most cases.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll be 21 when I start. Its hardly old. Alot of people take a couple years off and start at around that age.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There are a few people in the same semester as me in my uni (though I'm in a different country than you) who are 30 years old and more, and married with kids. It's never too late.
  • Options
    i was 18 when i started uni, im 19 now and to be honest most people are older than me, as neil said, most of them did a foundation year anyway and others have taken gap years. age doesn't really matter when you get to uni
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    i was 18 when i started uni, im 19 now and to be honest most people are older than me, as neil said, most of them did a foundation year anyway and others have taken gap years. age doesn't really matter when you get to uni
    im in my final year of a 4 year corse and im the youngest at 22

the age range on the corse is mostly between about 23 and 30 however there is 1 guy that is 72
  • Options
    Yeah it really doesn't matter what age you are, 20/21 is really not a problem.
    And no-one needs to be nervous when they start uni, seriously just go with a relaxed attitude if you can, it was just another day for me. I wholeheartedly recommend gap years after school though, it does most people alot of good.
  • Options
    I am glad I came at 21... I actually work a lot harder now.
  • Options
    There are a few people in the same semester as me in my uni (though I'm in a different country than you) who are 30 years old and more, and married with kids. It's never too late.
    Mine, too. Especially Greek and Latin for some reason. But whatever, you won't be the oldest, you won't stick out at all.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about thinking you'd be too old. I do nursing and the average age for people to start the course is 29, so im one of the few who's only 18. I think there are even a few people on the course who are in their late 40's and early 50's.
  • Options
    i would say it makes no difference, in fact most of my friends were 20 when they started uni and are 21/22 now.
  • Options
    most uk universities have many students start their degrees at 20/21 or much later in life. its no big issue really. :)
  • Options
    I started uni straight after school and hated it so i took half a year out and started again on a different course the following september so i was nearly 20 when i started. There is only 1 person younger than me in my class, the rest are all 30 or 40 something's. I think having time out from education is the best way to do it, i would recommend it, i put loads more effort in cuz those 6months working made me realise how much i actually wanted to be at uni. At the end of the day, 'Age aint nothin but a number'. :)
  • Options
    it's not a problem at all... i was friends with plenty of people both older and younger than me
  • Options
    Its no problem at all, the people that are taking a year out after a-levels are 19 (nearly 20) when they join.
  • Options
    Its no problem at all, the people that are taking a year out after a-levels are 19 (nearly 20) when they join.

Yep that'll be me :thumb:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Yep that'll be me :thumb:

Me too! :thumb: