Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Oh noes!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
The warm weather is here. So, fellow geeks, is your PC prepared?

Mine hopefully is. I haven't seen it top 34 degrees C over the winter period since its construction, so all is well here as far as I know. If there is a weak point, it'll probably be my 7800gt, the goliath beast it is. Thats why it has a fan next to it in the side panel. :D

If only my old P4 had been as good when i was using it (Now relegated to the role of "Junk stand".) That thing used to have a desk fan aimed at its innards in the summer. :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Always prepared :)
  • Options
    upgrading soon (well actually it will be a whole new PC when i'm finished but whatever) mainly a bigger case to increase airflow but my puter does pretty well as it is!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The warm weather is here. So, fellow geeks, is your PC prepared?

Aye. Always highly overclocked, always powered up, and always stable. And quiet, too :).
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I never had a problem because of summer heat. Of course I don't overclock, but still.
  • Options
    i never think of these things!
    i'm going to get paranoid now when the sun is up.
    might buy one of them ice making machines they have down the pub.
    my machine won't stand to much stress thats for sure.
    you people don't half know how to piss me off ...
  • Options
    couple of small but industrial fans to clip on the side of a wall bracket or something, blowing at the air-intakes of your machine, should keep it safe

or fit another fan to a new whole in your case, and rin it into a mini fridge, through and airtight seal, so you get cold beers, and ice chilled air getting sucked into your machine
  • Options
    I'll probably notice some more sound, but that's about it.

To answer your question:

Well prepared
  • Options
    I'm prepared all year, living in a house where the heatings at 30, fires lit and the boiler is 10ft below me, my pc runs at a cool...50! yeah! go me!
  • Options
    never really thought about it before. I have noticed it getting a bit louder in the past few warmer days
  • Options
    would it a plausible idea to get some sealable sandich bags, fill them with crushed ice and place them in your case? or is that actaully asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Nah, won't really do any harm, though you may get a build-up of moisture on the cooler parts of the system. Unless they leak - best thing to do is whip the side off the case and fit an extra 120mm fan somewhere. Nice and quiet - but if it isn't quiet enough, then you can run it on +5v and +12v for 7v :).

And in response to your signature, water most certainly can get wetter. ;)
  • Options
    Do laptops suffer in the same way that PCs do in the heat?
  • Options
    Do laptops suffer in the same way that PCs do in the heat?

I was wondering the same thing. My laptop (only 3 months old) fan has got a bit louder in the last week or so.
  • Options
    wish my PC had a high enough spec to have to worry about the summer :p
  • Options
    my pc is a noisy bastard in summer, im pretty sure the fans can handle it though.. should probs give them a clean actually :x
  • Options
    Yeah, everything gets hotter during the summer. It isn't generally anything to worry about - these operating conditions are part of the design consideration :).
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    my pc is a noisy bastard in summer, im pretty sure the fans can handle it though.. should probs give them a clean actually :x

Cleaning out your pc case can make quite a lot of difference. The fans can spin fasters with much more ease.

With my setup, I end up hoovering all the heat vents, head sinks and fan filters. Use an old toothbrush on the actual fan blades to get the gunk off.

Also, make sure your pc is not near a radiator or under sunlight through the window. You wont believe how many people still dont get why this is just a bad idea.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, everything gets hotter during the summer. It isn't generally anything to worry about - these operating conditions are part of the design consideration :).

Unless you were my old P4 rig that locked up and died during summer.

Stupid heap of shite. It opperated fine for a while... then started going downhill. I plan a complete overhaul tbh.
  • Options
    Nothing to worry about as neither rig is uber powerfull, I'll give them a clean but then thats easy,

Can of Air for 99P is my best friend and gets nice n cold on my hand and cools me down too.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    would it a plausible idea to get some sealable sandich bags, fill them with crushed ice and place them in your case? or is that actaully asking for trouble.

Not really a good idea methinks. moisture+pc=not good. Anyway, the ice would melt pretty quick and then you'd be left with bags of lukewarm water.