Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cardiff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm hopefully going to Cardiff for the Play-off final and just wondering if anyones being before and what trains etc. into the city are like?? and also what hotels are like and their availability/cost when such a big event is on??

Or if theres a town close by where a taxi fare wouldn't be too much to cardiff??

Any information much appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    im at uni in cardiff :) tis great!

as far as im aware trains run all the time to local towns etc so there should be no problem there - and as for trains to further away places (ie bristol, manchester etc etc) usually they are about every half hour/hour so not bad.

i stayed in a hotel the other week when my mum came to visit me called 'the big sleep' which was ACE! really mod and the continental breakfasts were to die for! :yum: plus its opposite a huge cinema and 2 minutes away from shops.
    AND its about the same price as a holiday inn so youre getting more for your money!!

as for availability when the game is on - i suggest you book SOON! hotels get booked up reeally fast so unless you fancy staying as far away as newport (which is very unlikely) i think you should book as soon as possible (when rugby is on most saturdays every single hotel is full to brim - and thats when the smaller matches are being played)
  • Options
    Cheers for that.

I won't know for definate if I have a ticket till Thursday so can't book hotel till then. If everythings booked up whats the nearest town to the Stadium?? Already had a quick look at some hotels and lots are full already.
  • Options
    most towns are pretty close to cardiff if youre travelling by train really..

im in trefforest which is a 20 minute ride away. and the stop after that which is 2 minutes further down the line is pontypridd (one of the biggest towns outside cardiff) id maybe suggest looking for a hotel there if ones in cardiff are booked up.
    trains to and from there run every half hour or so which is also pretty handy.

other than that.. im not really that keyed up on other places outside cardiff really.. you could maybe try 'bargoed' which i *think* isnt too far away.. or maybe cardiff bay (which is obviously IN cardiff but not in the centre of things - might not be booked up yet. and there are a LOT of hotels around that area)
  • Options
    Cheers :)
  • Options
    I live in Bristol, but i go to Cardiff occassionally to shop (like theres any other reason to go into Wales :p)

Hotels i have no idea about. I do get the train from here though to Cardiff, which takes about half hour (they run pretty frequently), and the main train station in Cardiff is like 5/10 mins walk away from Millenium Stadium.

As for towns nearby, hmm Newport, Caerphilly maybe? I wouldn't even attempt to try an stay in Newport. It's horrendous. I'm pretty sure we'll get a lot of people staying in Bristol for it cos Cardiff are bound to ramp their hotel prices up.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I live in Bristol, but i go to Cardiff occassionally to shop (like theres any other reason to go into Wales :p)QUOTE]

Oiiiii, there is! oh wait your right :(

As for towns to stay in theres plenty on the outskirts of cardiff, or trefforest as someone has said, Barry would be okay too
  • Options
    mate, i heard every hotel in and around (including Bristol) Cardiff are booked up. Its because the the rugby european cup final is the day before our match, all the irish fans have taken up all the hotels, and will proberly drink all our beer.
  • Options
    if you cant find a hotel in cardiff/nearby towns or cities there is always the motorway travel inn!! when a big rugby match is on my dad usually ends up staying in one. how easy it will be to get there i dont know :p taxis arent THAT much i guess