Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dry and Itchy Eyes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My eyes have felt really irritated recently - kinda dry and itchy, and I'm getting a bit of crusty eye gunk now and again (lovely!). They're pretty bloodshot aswell - basically they're not as bright and white as they were.

Not sure what it could be.. hayfever maybe, as I'm a bit snotty and I've got a nasty cough..

Anyway I tried some of this Golden Eye cream earlier, but its just made them kinda greasy and swollen.. what else should I try? Are eye drops worth it? Would allergy tablets work?

Comments

• Options
    conjuntivitis....basically an eye cold - i had it quite bad so had to go to the docs, i got some really good eye drops, came in a tiny bottle but worked
  • Options
    Ahh I hope its not conjunctivitus. Anyone I've ever seen with that has had major yellow crustyness..
    although the eye cream I used this morning is meant to cure that.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Ahh I hope its not conjunctivitus. Anyone I've ever seen with that has had major yellow crustyness..
    although the eye cream I used this morning is meant to cure that.
    you have to use drops/treatment over a few days, try to wipe the puss out with a clean tissue or something before it goes dry
  • Options
    You can't really diagnose anything just from the message board. It could be from a cold, it could be hayfever, it could be conjunctivitis, or another form of eye infection.

If you think its hayfever then allergy tablets or the eye drops should work a treat but if it doesn't clear up soon, see a doctor!
  • Options
    Did it start in one eye first or both at the same time??

If it started in one eye first then its probably an infection. Golden Eye should help clear minor infections. I usually reccomend Brolene though. If you wake up in the morning and you have yellow gungy yuckiness then it could be conjunctivitis.. If thats the case just speak to a pharmacist- if they think thats what it is then they can sell you an anti-biotic eye drop containing Chloramphenicol.

If its started in both eyes at the same time then it maybe hayfever and you can get allergy eye drops OTC.

If neither, maybe your eyes are just dry and tired and a refreshing, lubricating eye drop might help. Optrex refreshing or even generic Hypromellose are only a couple of quid.
  • Options
    I get tired, itchy, irritated eyes fairly often - though especially when I'm a bit run down. As Sikorah mentioned, Optrex's little eye drops or especially their eye rinse/baths are a lifesaver in this kind of situation - I definitely think that should be your first port of call before jumping to the conclusion of it being anything more serious. Make sure you change the eye wash in the wee lid/bath thingy (ooh, technical!) between eyes or you'll be spreading any germs or infection that might be lurking.