Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do old people smell? They seem to all smell the same....

Comments

• Options
    Do you often go around smelling the elderly?
  • Options
    Haha. Nope. It's just they have a kind aroma you can't help but notice.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe they rarely wash themselves? Or never...
  • Options
    babies smell too. and they all smell the same.
  • Options
    Babies have that new smell. And old people have that.. well... old smell.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    babies smell too. and they all smell the same.
    :yes: I love that smell!
  • Options
    I come across people who smell really really bad often at my work. It's not just old people who smell. One woman last week, fair enough looked to be in her 60's, smelt like urine, so bad was the smell that EVERYONE started avoiding that area and other customers started complaining about the smell.

I can NEVER undestand someone who smells rotten, can'tt they smell it? If they are out shopping they have a home, if they have a home they have a bathroom with bath or shower therefore have NO EXCUSE for not having decent hygience standards. No one can like smelling bad surely?

Eugh that woman smelt so bad I felt physically sick and that doesn't happen often! :yuck:
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    I can NEVER undestand someone who smells rotten, can'tt they smell it?
    I've heard that it's often difficult to notice your own smell, no matter how bad it is.
  • Options
    Theres a woman in my village who smells of piss and B.O..and everyone calls her Smelly Woman.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    Theres a woman in my village who smells of piss and B.O..and everyone calls her Smelly Woman.

God, I'd so love to meet the creative genius who came up with that nickname :razz:

There was a woman who came into my old work pretty much every day, and she stank. Not just a bit of BO, but it was a smell that had probably been building up for months and months. It was like she'd mistaken her soap for rotten cheese or something, seriously.

One day she was buying her bingo books and she was standing there absolutely stinking, and she paid for her books with a load of coppers that she counted out there and then for about 5 minutes. I got a load of funny looks from customers for about 10 minutes after that because the smell lingered and they thought it was me :(

A delightful Saturday tea-time thread, I'd say.
  • Options
    They dont all smell the same. Some smell of ovaltine,some smell of mothballs yet some just smell of wee. I even met one who smelled of malted milk and digestive biscuits once, so theres definitely differences.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:

*sings* Smelly Woman..walkin' down the street....
  • Options
    Speaking of smelly people, once I was in the bus. I was standing, and behind me was an empty seat. When the bus stopped somewhere a woman came on who was strongly smelling of smoke and urine and was holding three, lit cigarettes in one hand. She screamed "Let me pass! Let me pass!" and went and sat on the seat behind me. In the next stop she went off the bus.
  • Options
    water, soap and deodrants are useful. - a simple fact people need to learn.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    *sings* Smelly Woman..walkin' down the street....

:lol: damn you, i ave that song in my head now!
  • Options
    Moth balls.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    I can NEVER undestand someone who smells rotten, can'tt they smell it?

Often because the smell builds up little by little and therefor is not perceived by the person themselves. It's like folk who have pets that are not properly trained and urinate in the house etc, even if it's only occationally, the smell becomes "normal" and builds. It's almost a type of coping mechanism. Same if you work, say, in a nursing/residential home you get used to the smell and it doesn't affect you in the same way.
  • Options
    Old people only smell if they they wash or feel they cant wash!! Some smell lovely!
  • Options
    Mohair.

The answer to any question about old people is always the same. Mohair.
  • Options
    Yeah, I never understand why people can't notice when they stink. It always baffles me.

Anyways, im always on London transport so im always smelling people who stink. And of course, the weather is getting a little bit warmer so you get the BO people who love to lift up their arms and stretch right next to you with them stank self.

I remember once I got on the tube and there was this bag lady who was sitting in the carriage all alone with her bags and that - and in the other carriage people were tightly packed. I thought it was strange that everyone was in one carriage but only the lady in another so I went and sat down. The woman stank so much it was unreal. The poor woman smelt of piss, shit, BO, rotting feet, everything.

I moved from that carriage and joined the others.
  • Options
    There are a lot of scary old farmery men that use my local bus service, and by george, they reek of armpits. I say farmery, because they've usually got a strong Cornish accent, wear tatty shirts and look generally unkempt, like many of the yokelly farmers up here on Bodmin Moor. I definately think it has something to do with age, as there are far more smelly old people than in other generations.

Also, I was at a car boot sale the other day, and an old woman at one stall stank of poo. And because it was a windy day, it pretty much lingered throughout the area.
  • Options
    I think old people can be forgiven a little for smelling of wee because they leak... If it's stale old manky wee, that's never forgive nose injustice though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Because they are slowly decomposing.

Duh.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think old people can be forgiven a little for smelling of wee because they leak... If it's stale old manky wee, that's never forgive nose injustice though.

Yes but my granny was slightly piddly because she was on diueretics or however you spell them, and she never smelt of pee.

I think its sheer lack of hygiene/a slow progression into pikeyness/trying to save their pensions by not forking out for running water.
  • Options
    incontinence
  • Options
    Most of the old people I've spent a signifigant period of time around have smelled quite nice, or not smelled at all that I've noticed. My Grandma always smelled of violets, and it's still one of my favourite smells, I often smell a waft of violet perfume in the Post Office etc and it makes me smile :)

I always feel sorry for people I've met through work or in shops, on buses etc who smell a bit off... whether they're young, middle-aged or old. I have to say I hate it when people laugh and/or make comments, but maybe a bit of a stench now and then just doesn't offend my sensibilities to that extent... and I thought they were delicate sensibilities until now... ;)