Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

contraceptive patch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone used it? I was reading some stuff up on it yesterday, and just wondered what your oppinions were on it? :)

Comments

• Options
    I would really like to know too. I have been thinking about starting it and made an appointment to go to fpa in a couple weeks to discuss it but would like to hear ppl's experiences with it :)
  • Options
    i was on it for about a year, came off a few months ago, and have recently gone back on. I have had no problems with it at all, and it really agrees with me.

the only reason i came off (was a mistake, in hindsight) was because the patches can start to look a little scabby after a while - they get that black fluff around like a plaster.

some people find that they irritate their skin, and mine did if i wore it on my arms or back, but since i switched it to my arse, everything's been hunky dory.

obviously it's the type of thing that some people will like and some people won't, but i've had a really good experience with them :)
  • Options
    I used to have a friend on it, the only complaint she had was that it itched.
  • Options
    and they can fall off!!
  • Options
    and they can fall off!!

Yeah my doctor was very keen on telling me that, and convinced me to go on the implant instead....

They do sound good though, and if they're readily avalible in your area it's a decent enough contraception.
  • Options
    and they can fall off!!

in over a year, i have not had a single one fall off. in fact, i have to forcibly rip them off at the end of the week.
  • Options
    I think they're grand! They made my boobs a bit sore and that was it, really. :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    in over a year, i have not had a single one fall off. in fact, i have to forcibly rip them off at the end of the week.

Were they ok with baths/showers, swimming and stuff like that because thats the only thing that is stopping me from changing, that and wondering if you can skip periods on them like you do on the pill like just keep sticking the patches on instead of a break?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Were they ok with baths/showers, swimming and stuff like that because thats the only thing that is stopping me from changing, that and wondering if you can skip periods on them like you do on the pill like just keep sticking the patches on instead of a break?

Yeah, they're fine with baths/showers, swimmings provided you put them on correctly.

And yes to skipping periods and changing your cycle. :yes:
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Yeah, they're fine with baths/showers, swimmings provided you put them on correctly.

And yes to skipping periods and changing your cycle. :yes:

what she said :yes:

you get into the habit of checking it after a bath or shower.

you can treat the patch the same way you treat the combined pill, only it is absorbed through your skin and not via your stomach - so another advantage is that you are still covered if you are sick or get the shits.
  • Options
    what's in 'em- is it the same as mini-pill?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    what's in 'em- is it the same as mini-pill?

same as the combined pill. so wouldn't be suitable for people who can't take the combined pll.
  • Options
    poo bum.
  • Options
    Thanks for that , sounds good to me as i dont really want to go back on the pill, and i dont want anything else like the injection. :)
  • Options
    know this is a bit late now but just wanted to say since in this thread i said i was thinking about going on it. I went to the family planning clinic finally yesterday (yup, i procrastinated for that long :p) and got prescribed it.

the doctor was really good and explained all the options completely to me including telling me all about a new mini-pill i could try since i had no side-effects with the mini pill before and have had with the combined pill (and therefore could have with the patch) but i decided to just try the patch and see how it goes. she said that i can try it for a month and if its not going well, just come back and change, any unwanted side-effects should stop quickly after stopping using the patch according to her.

i asked her in her opinion were the patches good and she said that all her patients on them seem happy, the only thing they were unhappy with is that they can be seen (and are more noticable than you think since they get grey around them like a plaster does and like another poster on here said) and that they can irritate the skin sometimes.
    I have to admit the patch is more noticable than i thought it would be, there is no missing it stuck there on my ass :p but i will give it a go and let you know how i find it :)
  • Options
    hmm.. so i had it on less than 2 days and it is already falling off :S thinking this is not such a great idea after all........
  • Options
    I used it for about 5 months before swtiching to the pill. I liked the oatch in the begining it was easy I had no worries since it was alaways there. But then hiding it became an issue I never felt sexy with a big sticker on my butt but i didn't want to put it anywhere else for fear of someone seeing it. Because I kept it in the same generally area it didn't stick so well and would fall off causing me to worry. When it would be lose the glue would get on my pants or stick to my underwear which was annoying and the glue towards the end irrarted my skin to the point where it itched and just became uncomfortable. So now I take the pill and tho it isn;t as easy it is cheaper and is working.
  • Options
    If it keeps falling off your bum and worrying you I recommend just putting it on your back or arms. I know it looks abit manky because they're huge but i dont like hvain mine on my bum because i feel that because i'm constantly moving around, sitting down and what not it tends to move slightly and does make me paranoid. I've been on it for over a year now too and have had no problems what to ever, have actually taken mine off a week ago because me and my boyfriend are trying for a baby but before hand it's great. I had my period every 4th friday (possibly too much detail) exactly without fail. But as I said, i don't know about everyone else but i recommend putting it somewhere that won't rub as much with movement.
  • Options
    I usually put mine on the top of my thighs at the front. You're best putting it on whilst you're sitting down. Do it right at the top so that when you stand up it won't ruffle or anything.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice about where to place it, people :) after that first time of it nearly coming off, I havent had any more problems. I moved it up higher so its kind of on my hip and it seems to be staying on fine.
    No real side effects so far either I dont think - I am hungry a lot but that is not terribly unusual for me, I go through phases when i am really hungry anyway, so I will see if it passes like usual.
    so far, so good :)