Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Silent Hill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok so I watched this film last night, and thought I understood it, till the end, anyone tell me what happened?!! Did they die or what? It's really confused me lol x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know either. I don't think you're meant to understand everything, though.
    By the way: http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98438
  • Options
    Go to the film's message board at www.imdb.com and read the explanations there!

Basically the most commonly believed theory is that the foggy Silent Hill / hellish Silent Hill world was created by the twisted mind of Alessa, with the help of the Demon (little girl with evil eyes, who represents the dark and twisted side of Alessa). This world was created in a kind of other dimension, with the aim of punishing the cultists for their mistreatment and burning of all those people.

However, the cultists have managed to protect themselves using their faith and the church. But the Demon manages to convince Rose to let it enter her body, so that it can be transported into the chruch and thus allow Alessa to do her damage to the rest of the survivors. Rose believed that she would be returned to normal Silent Hill along with Shannon once she had done this. But the Demon had tricked her, and it entered Shannon (who represents the good parts of Alessa) and forced her to remain in the foggy Silent Hill (which now extends as far as her home) forever. The dimensions do kind of cross over, as seen when Rose crosses the path of her husband back in Silent Hill, and again once she gets 'home'.

It could be argued that perhaps Rose, Shannon and Cybil did in fact all die when they crashed near to Silent Hill, and were then transported into foggy/hellish Silent Hill, which is a kind of purgatory (world between worlds). If this is true, then the cultists that are in this purgatory were in fact all killed in the great coal fire, and are now stuck there until they can be sent to hell by Alessa.

Either way kind of works, so it just depends how you want to look at it! I recommend reading the imdb boards if you want a more in-depth explanation. :)
  • Options
    Hmm yeah still cant quite get my head around it but that makes lil bit more sense! God dammit I was hoping for a happy ending...

oo you know at the end where Rose tells Sharron to close her eyes, and she opens them and that crazy girl looks at her, does she like take her over or something, Shannon seemed really strange after that!?!

Sucha confusing film lol
  • Options
    Gucci2 wrote:
    oo you know at the end where Rose tells Sharron to close her eyes, and she opens them and that crazy girl looks at her, does she like take her over or something, Shannon seemed really strange after that!?!
    That's a theory, according to the imdb boards. I never thought of it, but I didn't really notice strange behaviour in Sharn either.
  • Options
    oo, yeah she kinda stared alot in a freaky sorta way, tbh what scared me most was the advert for "The Omen" where the boy was just staring...real freaky!
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    going to see this tonight, feel i am going to be confused. :(
    I hope you didn't read the stuff on this thread?? :no:

It's sooooo scary hehe!
  • Options
    This film is a pile of shite
  • Options
    saw it last night and it confused me :( but then again im easily confused.

oh well, still had fun
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Was damn good.

Best game > film ever. Followed the story line well I felt.

Probably should have been an 18 :lol:
  • Options
    Yeah...the barbed wire!! Lovely.
  • Options
    Yeah...the barbed wire!! Lovely.
    I'd say the dress-then-skin scene was far worse, even if you count the sexual meaning of the wire scene.
  • Options
    I'd say the dress-then-skin scene was far worse, even if you count the sexual meaning of the wire scene.
    True, it was a pretty gruesome death! Gotta love pyramid head :D
  • Options
    SPOILER ALERT

Silent Hill wasn't bad, it was fairly true to the game.

What happens is kind of confusing, but here is how I interpret it...

The police woman and the mother encounter a group of people belonging to a religious sect which, before Silent Hill went downhill had a degree of power, in particular a teacher (who ends up being the leader of the sect). A little girl who goes to school is turned in to a folk devil because she was born out of wedlock and gets tormented a lot and called a 'witch'. It seems that anybody different seems to be a 'witch' in Silent Hill.

To purify the little girl they put her through a sort of burning ritual (presumably to chase the devil out of her?) and she is left horiffically scarred in hospital. The next bit isn't all clear...

Because of her ordeal the little girl creates a hell about her that it centred in the hospital where her mother later finds her. The girl becomes seperated in to two, the pure side of her who ends up adopted by the protagonist and the the evil side who has created hell in Silent Hill as revenge against her tormentors. There is a psychic connection between the children.

When the good child's mother goes down to the evil child's lair Cybil ends up caught and tied up, declared an accomplace to the 'witch'. Meanwhile the mother converses with the demon who then uses her body as a carrier to take her to the sanctuary where the mother tells the truth to the religious people about how the leader is lying. The demon girl comes out of her body and kind of rises up, still in her hospital bed and rips the shit out of all the religious folk, in fact everybody but her biological mother, her good half and the adopted mother.

Cybill is burnt and shit anyway by now so yeah...

The adopted mother and the daughter then leave Silent Hill to go home.

Admittedly the end is confusing, but then Silent Hill was all just the fantasy of a tortured little girl... They had stepped in to another world and once the little girl had finally got her revenge the world went neutral again... My assumpton is that when they return home they are still stuck in the world of the devil girl's fantasy, which is seperate from the waking world...

That is what I reckon.
  • Options
    This movie wasn't as good as I expected it to be..also rather confusing. But meh, maybe I'm just very easily confused.